Do We Let Them Vote Next Time?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Once Charm City Jimmy (I forgot who to credit for this nick, but it isn't mine) splits this site, you won't have that problem anymore...

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    At one point I had hopes that this forum wouldn't play a political version of Smear the Queer*, but I guess that ship has sailed long ago.

* -- ******** you, anyone over 35 knows what that means

P.S. "Charm City Jimmy" is mine.

Dr. Wankler, Smurfquake and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ever get your change back from the bro at the convenience store and it smells like incense?

You could try to contact ITN, The Guardian and Jumpin Jack Flash. Them returning would help balance out the leanings.

I'm over 35, I know what it means, no biggie. We played it in elementary school.

Props on the nick.

Timon19 repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think every red-blooded 'murican kid did.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all fairness, it's not. She didn't win and hasn't the power to continue her rhetoric, so that's the only defense I can offer. And poorly at that.

6. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    All of this. I get the thread is theoretical, but some of the places it was going was ridiculous.

@American Brummie

We went from disenfranchising Trumpsters to youth vote, to what about emancipated minors...don't all 30k of them deserve a vote. Some of this stuff needs a little internal vetting before we dump it on here. Letting 14-17 year olds vote is one of them. What I'd do with that if I were the GOP:

1)Make the test difficult enough to weed out those without minimum literacy. That skews things white. And white people aged 18-29 voted Trump.

2) Create an ambiguously phrased multiple choice test that will lead people who black/white, simplistic thinking to the "right" answer while introducing enough ambiguity for deeper thinkers. Like high school health tests written by meathead gym teachers and DMV tests. The kind of questions where people with relativistic thinking skills say, "This is poorly phrased. It could be X or Y under certain circumstances. It really depends. Am I overthinking this?"

3) Use polling locations and lack of teen mobility in your favor. Moderately red Missouri has zero polling places in urban public high schools. They're in libraries, elementary schools, private schools. Not in "scary places" where brown teens hang out. In lower density suburbs and rural areas, they are in high schools. Sometimes because the high school is the only building big enough in smaller towns. You can pull the "right" teens by placing polls down the hall from their classes. A kid getting bused 90 minutes as part of a deseg program won't be able to vote anyway.

4) You know who can get kids to polls if they aren't in their schools? People with access to buses and a chauffeur license who can go to a HS and drop off groups of kids they know at 4-5 polling areas. People like evangelical pastors. They wouldn't tell kids who go to their church who to vote for mind you. That would be between those kids and Jesus. Vote their conscience (wink).
    5) A "non-partisan" group could post guides questions that youth group leaders would just happen to spend time on with their kids...so everyone could be a "Good Patriot"because God would want that.

Restricting voting or qualified expansion of voting isn't the way to fix this...because the tools to accomplish either can be used just as easily by the other side to achieve precisely the opposite. Reducing barriers for those of legal age is the only way to "fix" this.

crazypete13 repped this.
  7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, what?

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She cannot turn her rhetoric into action. She is not President.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are all problems now.

10. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Variations of these are, sure. The problem is that you continue to propose solutions without assessing if they are going to address the solution. If you open up the vote to "well informed, qualified" citizens age 14-17, they aren't going to vote against people like Trump.

It's much easier to suppress the vote of non-GOP voters at this age than any other age. The GOP could engineer/rig literacy/qualification tests That doesn't exist today. Locating polling places where you know that students can't be by law is a lot more effective than simply reducing the number of polling places.

So really, what you're proposing would introduce a series of problems that would be far worse than what we see today.

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish I could say I had written this. I really do. I wish I could tell you that you read my post.

But I can't. I just can't bring myself to do that. Because that's not what I wrote.

Now sure, you could revise everything you say to talk about 13-and-unders who would be exposed to these problems, and how those individuals who choose to vote would likely skew Republican. Maybe. My guess is that voting behavior among that age cohort would be very minor indeed.

Now, I have a request.

Can you actually start reading my ********ing posts?

12. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002

The problem is that your posts lack any sort of coherence. Your comparisons between Trump voters, whom you seek to disenfranchise, and other groups of people are tenuous at best.

Disenfranchising Trump voters on the basis of temporary restrictions on CSA participants is false equivalence. CSA voters actively committed Treason. If Trump attempts to re-write a Constitution through force later in his first term and he gets re-elected to continue the effort in term 2, I would have no problem with temporary voting restrictions...assuming we could actually ID Trump voters. That's not where we are.

As for extending the right to vote to younger people...you don't really adequately indicate your motive here. On its face, maybe you really do believe that the age limit is arbitrary. If that's the case, then I really wish you could draw some inferences from what I've ****ing written. It is too damn easy to categorically suppress certain categories of <18 voters to reach a desired partisan outcome. Much easier than it is to do so with any other group. This will lead to less democratic outcomes. Is this clear enough for you?

The other inference we can draw from this is that you are seeking to counterbalance the influence of older voters. You have blamed older voters for portions of this mess in other threads. Therefore, extending suffrage to younger groups, who typically vote very differently than older voters, would adequately diversify the electorate. Except it won't. Above.

More generally, you're trying to draw people into discussions re: qualifying suffrage. If you're too dumb to see through Trump, or simply don't care, then maybe you shouldn't vote. If you're young and informed, why shouldn't you vote? Why 18? Hey, maybe we can take away voting rights from older citizens, or test people for literacy before granting suffrage, or tie voting to taxpayer status. You haven't specifically mentioned all of these things, but what little sense you've used could be applied to all sorts of scenarios. If someone has no concept of scientific reasoning and believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, maybe we should strip them of their voting rights. Then again, I don't believe (or disbelieve) in a god/gods. Other groups I'm sure would love to strip me of my voting rights. Or others because they happen to be libertarian or communist. And that's why we don't attach conditions to voting.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You're going to have to look a while to find libertarians willing to take positive action to disenfranchise just about any group (except purely rhetorically in a fit of frustration). Note that this is a different action than a positive action to extend the franchise to some arbitrary group, where you will undoubtedly find as many opinions as people.

crazypete13 repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Reported!

Timon19 repped this.
  15. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    To me, the solution is not to decline the franchise to anyone. If anything, the solution is to ensure the greatest number of 18+ year olds are registered and able to vote.

Boloni86 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Having access to accurate, factual information would be helpful, too.

Boloni86 and crazypete13 repped this.
  17. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yep, but the whole education system and the infotainment bent of most of the MSM would need to be addressed too.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But I do recall in 2016 some Republican dickhead legislators in AL or NC requiring all kinds of gyrations for college kids to vote. It's what they do best.

crazypete13 repped this.
  19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, this is wrong, but okay.

[​IMG]

This is Alexander Stephens. He was a member of Congress, and then Vice President of the Confederacy.

And here is his November 1860 address against secession.

http://pid.emory.edu/ark:/25593/b6rtb/PDF

He committed treason because his Congressional seat dissolved when his state left the Union. He never cast a vote in favor of leaving. But he still aided and abetted the enemies of the United States. The hundreds of thousands of Confederate soldiers never cast a vote for their state to secede, yes or no. Yet they too committed treason by aiding and abetting the enemies of the Union. The workers of the Confederacy who propped up the war effort aided and abetted the enemies of the Union.

If Donald Trump is found guilty, to have colluded with the Russian government to manipulate the 2016 election to ensure his victory, there will be millions who demand to keep him in office. Perhaps there is a legal distinction I do not see, but those millions should not have a voice in selecting our next leaders. They - like the disenfranchised Confederates of 1864 and 1868 - aided and abetted the enemies of the Union, and if Donald Trump did what most of us suspect he did, letting his supporters continue unabated gives them license to do it again before we can fix our institutions to prevent future Donalds Trump.

I can find nearly verbatim quotes suggesting that nonwhites or women would be easily suppressed or manipulated to support a certain partisan outcome, in the 1860s and the 1900s-1910s. Nearly verbatim. If you doubt me, Google them. Both were unfounded. I've responded to this already.

I heard a great proposal that we weight voting by your remaining life expectancy - i.e., the vote of a 25-year old woman would be worth 5 times more than that of a 70-year old man. I think it's a great way to refocus lawmakers on long-term priorities.

You mean except for the 17/18 age line, imprisoned and ex-felons, undocumented immigrants, those with mental disabilities, individuals who cannot afford voter ID, or those who cannot get to a polling place on a Tuesday in November, right?

You meant aside from those conditions. Because we have those conditions to voting right now.

20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    #195 Chicago76, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Go back and read what I said. Seceding from the country and aiding in a war is obviously treason. Voting for Trump in 2016 is not. Because even if he and his administration were guilty of treason, this would not be known to voters as of 2016. Now lets assume we do know this in 2018 and he is booted from office. If people still support Trump, who isn't on the ballot in 2020, is it treason? Kind of. Except he isn't on the ballot. How would we know who supports him? They aren't taking up arms against the country. They aren't mounting an insurrection. So how do you propose disenfranchisement even for those who support him after the fact? Theoretically, we could extend this to Michigan militia types who are at least sympathetic to the Timothy McVey's of the world, could we not?

You've responded, but you haven't adequately addressed considerations that are unique to citizens who aren't of the age of legal majority. Many are of the age in which school is compulsory. This means that on election day, we know exactly where they are. They are at school. In urban settings, this means that they aren't near their polling place. 400+ polling places in St Louis city/county that serve non-white communities. No polling in high schools. Not one. And 13-15 year olds can't even hold a drivers license. Exactly zero of them can show up to work 2 hours late/leave early to vote and they often go to HSs far from where they actually live. States like NC, MI, etc can suppress the hell out of people in these scenarios. Go to a rural community where high schools are full of FFA kids, and you can literally find polling places within the HS. This is literally the most accessible place you could put a polling place for any category of voter. I'm not saying kids would be manipulated. What I am saying is that it is very easy to alter the composition of who votes. Because they have less time on their hands than seniors and are less mobile than any other demo by far. It you were a GOP leg setting rules for voting, it would be very easy to pull 80% turnout for a bunch of farm kids and probably 20-25% for the urban set. A far wider discrepancy than we have between demos of any other age group.

If you're capable of following this to its logical conclusion, then you'd see how this is a dumb idea ripe for manipulation. If I look at an actuarial table to weight votes, then a black person's vote is worth less than a white person's vote, and man's less than a woman's and an older person's less than a younger person's. The latter in each case is expected to live longer than the former. I guess Medicare reform would be easy though, no? Basically, we'd be the opposite of Florida politically: screw all the old people.

One thing I wouldn't mind is seeing votes compiled/weighed differently for the House and Senate. Senate seats votes scaled to 25% for each of 4 groups: young workers (18-45), older workers (45-65), older/retirees (over 65). House seat votes on some type of future life expectancy...age only...not by race or sex. So for example, in SD, you'd have exactly the same people voting for both in a given election, but they're effectively two different electorates due to weighting. One chamber would skew towards future-oriented goals of the youth while the other chamber would be able to resist some of that by being more evenly distributed across ages.

I'm in favor of auto-enrollment for voter registration, a national holiday to vote, and ending the ban on felons. Basically anything to reduce vote barriers for people who are legally adults. All of these things are realistic, at least in steps. 12 year olds voting or someone who isn't a citizen? What for. Speaking of citizens, something I noticed amongst my dual national friends this last cycle was that they were the ones more inclined to go Bernie or Bust. Their reasoning is that they are Americans, we need to roll the dice, but hey, if it doesn't work out and Trump really does create a catastrophic domestic scenario, they can head back to France or Australia. I have kids and older parents here. I'm a citizen of one country. The stakes are a bit higher for me. I've got more skin in the game. And poor minorities have even more skin in the game than me. Since you're floating around crazy ideas, maybe that should be the consideration.

xtomx repped this.
  21. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The confederates did not see secession as treason, ya know. This isn't as cut and dry as you'd like it to be.

We sure could.

I suppose you could, that's why we have to temporarily disenfranchise Trump voters to change our governing institutions to stop all this nonsense. End voter registration entirely. Reduce barriers to voting. All that jazz. Not gonna happen as long as these yahoos know they're right.

Weird, I know a bunch of noncitizens who don't have a fallback plan anywhere. My guess is that your experience is shaped by being around wealthy people who can be dual nationals, whereas mine is shaped by being around a bunch of poor Mexican kids who nevertheless beat the ever living piss out of me at soccer. They can get murdered by militias if they screw up. But your taxes could change. Ehh, six of one, half-dozen of the other. I totally retract my point. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kennedy or Thomas could go next.

It would not be a shift, but would solidify a conservative tilt for the court.

This is a clear reason on why conservatives could vote for the conman, Republicans understand way better the importance of the SC than Democrats IMO.

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's why Trump carried the Pharisee vote, because all those single-issue alleged "Christians" who only care about overturning Roe v. Wade don't mind if we literally go to hell in a handbasket, as long as they nominate some knuckle-dragging neanderthal who can bring us back to the 1950s when those colored people and wimming knew their place and didn't get too uppity.

24. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shamelessly self-promoting this thread in advance of Thursday.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably going to be very disappointed.