Do NOT get rodents as pets

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by DoctorD, Sep 24, 2008.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had 3 guinea pigs, 1 mouse and 2 rats. These animals are defecation machines. If you don't want to spend every fourth day cleaning up poop or pee, don't get one.

Guinea pigs are stupid as wood. We bought one female only to learn she was prgenant and she had two males. Then we needed separate cages to prevent incestuous breeding. It is amusing to get guests from Ecuador or Peru who tell you they eat them.

The mouse died quickly, but my youngest replaced it with 2 rats. Why did I say yes? The rats are cute and intelligent but leave a trail of pee everywhere. Their cage stinks and we don't play with them out of the cage because then everything is covered with pee. I'm waiting for them to die.

God, all these rodents stink. Don't make my mistake.

2. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great to have a Jack Russell Terrier. They think if it's small and it moves, it's prey. Pretty soon, you won't have any more rodents underfoot.

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had hamsters when I was a kid, but they would inevitably escape (i.e. get let out of their cage by me or one of my brothers) and go find a crack in the wall and hide, until they died. And then it would smell for a while.

I thought I read somewhere that rats have no bladder control -- they basically pee all the time and leave trails of it everywhere they go. But I can't find a reference for that now.

4. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're lucky they won't have babies there first. Or if they do, sometimes they'll eat them. Hamsters are a little traumatic for kids.

And they occasionally bite. I know. I checked.

5. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    When I was kiddie my first official pet (I'm discounting the 'pet' slugs and worms I used to cram into my toy cars in an attempt to create some kind of mollusc/annelid rush hour scenario) was a Jack Russell. Always cute with its boundless energy, but I was small and I moved - so I was a pretty easy target.

And I will totally support the motion to avoid having rodents as pets. Totally pointless. Thankfully they don't live very long. I've had hamsters (esacaped and crushed under a sofa); gerbils (did absolutely nothing endearing - then escaped and got lost under the floor boards and I presume died); and a couple of rats, which do indeed stink. Rats are the best of the rodent bunch unless you're going hardcore and opt for ferrets which stink even more - however they do seem to have a couple of brain cells floating around somewhere.

I'd even bunch rabbits in with this motely crew - pointless.

Lesson is - you want a pet? Get one you can interact with. It's basic but cats or dogs can't be beat. Or if you're lazy, fish. Not great at interaction but they don't make the place smell of piss.

6. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fishbowls have their own smell. Ugh.

7. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fish are cool. But, fish are for bachelors and child molesters.

I can't imagine I'd want to clean a fish tank after cleaning up after two kids all week.

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i did a psychology lab in college with a rat. That little guy was awesome. Taught him to push a lever to get some water. I'd let him crawl around on me after the experiment was done for the day and I was doing my lab report. surprisinly he never pissed on me once.

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a kid I had two dogs who used to incestuously jump aboard and hump each each. Stranger still, they were mother and daughter.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Family Ismitje brought home a pair of dwarf hamsters on Saturday and both daughters are very happy. :)

11. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the dogs also howl when you played Motley Crue (or maybe Poison)? :)

12. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a month you'll be wishing I had started the thread a week earlier.

Have a good night's sleep.

13. cookiely

cookiely Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln

It is actually animal abuse and illegal to keep a guinea pigs solitary in a cage.

guinea pigs have complex social structures, they even have their own language
    they use to talk to each other.

Perhaps you should just gather a little bit more information before you get an animal

14. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with the previous poster. it sounds more like you need to do research before you get a pet.
    my guinea pig is awesome (and she's my 4th) -- she's totally socialized (here's a clue about g-pigs.. the more you play with them, the more social they get and the more they love people.. same with a lot of animals). and she's also brilliant. she's potty trained. we let her run around the living room and when she has to pee or poop she goes in a litter box. i know many a dog who's a lot dumber than my guinea pig.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When we were kids my sister had two hamsters. Once she forgot to feed them, and one ate the other one.

16. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing those animals eating each other. Humans are much more refined.

Who's up for a burger?? :p

17. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 2 cats. Only problem we have with rodents is when one of them kills one outside and tries to sneak it into the house.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder, if we put two humans in a cage and forget to feed them, what would happen?

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm probably directly (by setting-up various types of mouse-traps) or indirectly (through my cats) responsible for over 1000 rodent deaths in my life. Why would anyone want them as pets again?? :confused:

20. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you've never been to Ireland.

What?

21. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's just that ... I'd rather eat Johnson!"

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The only problem there is that to get rid of the Terrier when you get tired of it's yapping, you need to buy a wolf. When the wolf gets too big and is leaving rabbit and carcases where the rat poo used to be, then you need to get a bear. Then to get rid of the bear, you'll have to concoct an arctic winter in the neighbourhood. Not only will that see your energy bill fly through the roof, but you won't be very popular with the neighbours, either.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slow up there, DoctorD - he's not kosher.

24. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    They would eat Eric Roberts, of course.

25. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. He's the best of the best!