Do Brazilians love garrincha more than Pele?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by UEFA, Sep 19, 2006.

1. UEFA

UEFA Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I know a few people that would say garrincha=GOAT, but for my money he was only a dribbler and a good scorer/crosser, while pele was much more(not to mention the fact that he could dribble too) a a better all-around player.

2. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    I am not a Brazilian, but I will answer ot for you.
    It depends on people.
    Some people like Garrincha more than Pele and some people like Pele more than Garrincha.
    May be it is because Garrincha's dribbling is more unique in style.

3. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    I know a few people that would say garrincha=GOAT, but for my money he was only a dribbler and a good scorer/crosser.:eek:

That is a sweeping statement about one of the true greats of football ,he was so much more than that,not for nothing was he revered for years during and after his career around the world..for example to do what he did in wc 62' took alot more than just dribbling and crossing.he could do anything.cheers :)

4. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Firstly, Garrincha has won a WC for Brasil in 1962 on his own, a thing that just another guy, namely Maradona (1986), has done in WC history. Thus, Garrincha wasn´t just a good crosser and dribbler but an awesome player with predictable but unstoppable plays.

Secondly, Garrincha is known here in Brasil by his naivety and his delicious dressroom histories and these things made him an idol in Brasil. I told you two histories:

-In 1958, in Sweden, Garrincha bought a FM radio just to listen to brasilian music (he didn´t know or have any idea about how far away he was from Brasil). He turned the radio on, listened to some words in swedish (of course) and then said to a teammate: "Dude, I think this radio is broken ´cause I can´t understand a single word they´re singing..." :D

- It´s said that Garrincha needed to sleep some time before every match in order to be fully fit and play well. In a pre-match colloquy (I dont know an exact term for "preleção" in English), a teammate of Garrincha wanted to wake him up but Botafogo´s coach say him: Hey, let Garrincha alone, if he wakes up now we will lose the match" :D :D

5. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    nobody can win a world cup by himself. nobody has and nobody will! its just a simple and naive way to look at things with only the purpose of making a player you love into a godlike figure! its a team sport! it has eleven men on the field. each with a role to play and each need to play that role well inorder to assure success!
    if the defence or the goalie dont do their jobs, the team will allow goals to be scored on them. if the other attacking players dont do their jobs, the team wont score a goal and these things usually lead to defeat. its a team sport man! its not like tennis or boxing! i am tired of all these simple statements that a single player wins a tournament by himself!

6. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I can't speak for every brazilian,but I do enjoy Garrincha a lot more tha Pelé.

7. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    auriverde , i understand that you enjoy garrincha more than Pele but was garrincha the better player?

8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Pele may have been the greatest footballer of all time, but Garrincha was better" - Old school Brazilian quote.

9. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Well,Pelé was a better athlete,very skilled and discplined,imo.However,if you talk about raw skill,Garrincha wins!

10. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    good enough auri i can dig that but to me Pele is the ultimate,.. man! i love garricha though! its just like micheal jordan[pele] and magic jonhson[garrincha]comparison. micheal jordan is the most skilled and athletic basketball player ever and extremely decipline while magic johnson just play the game beautifully but jordan is wildly considered the greatest of all time!

joudre repped this.
  11. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    How could I guy who basically kicked with one foot be higher 'raw skilled' wise than a bloke who could kick with both?

12. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    I should've said "raw dribbling skill".

13. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    i have seen garrincha beat defenders on both wings with left and right foot and dont forget those two great goals in the 62 wc one against england with his right foot and another thunderbolt against chile with his left.dont go by a few clips and stories you have heard here and there,this guy was incredible.cheers:)

14. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    i think this is more about who is liked better than who was better!garricha definitely had dribbling skills that was out of this world but pele was also an incredible dribbler but hands down pele beats garrincha in every other balling aspect!like heading,usage of the chest, speed,leaping ability,usage of both feet,scoring prowess, decipline,leadership, football sense, playmaking skills etc. i think most people are more sympathetic towards garrincha. his was more of a tragic story... meaning he was more human unlike pele who was sooo good and had such a deciplined and better life it was sureal and people find it hard to relate to him like they do garrincha! see garrincha had soo many flaws as a human being while pele had the charmed life during and after football and it affects how people relate to both of them! same thing with maradona ... him being in the garrincha mode!
    edson was the total package! the most complete player ever and there has never been a player as complete like pele and they will never be! pele was a combination of ronaldo in his prime[beating people with amazing speed and power]romario[incredible goal scoring prowess]dinho[tricks ,beautiful game]zidane[genius] micheal jordan[incredible athletic prowess, pele could literally out leap the tallest of defenders,,, first goal again italy in wc70 where he outjumped all the taller defenders to score]

15. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    good points,however i dont think you can compare these players really they were chalk and cheese..on the pitch however they were both incredible at times unplayable.i see garrincha as pele's equal on the field not in his shadow.2 truly great players.

16. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    oh definitely garrincha was pele's equal and not in pele's shadow because as good as pele was at he did or as good as garrincha was at what he did, they needed eachother! its no suprise that pele and garrincha never lost a game when they played together for the selecao! isnt that amazing! it tells you how much they were equally important for the selecao!
    well in my opinion pele is the greatest player ever followed by garrincha!

17. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    good post again..yeah your probably right ,and as for their record for brazil goes well that is untouchable.no defeats..cant argue with that.cheers

18. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    mind you too that pele was a kid when he came to the selecao and garrincha was quit older than pele!so pele looked up to him just like robinho looks up to ronaldinho!if anything i believe pele learned from garrincha! pele was just 17 years of age in wc58 while garrincha was about 20 or 21[not sure but will look it up]. they were amazing together! we should celebrate these two instead of comparing them! they are the two best players in the history of soccer in my mind!

19. tiemyshoey

tiemyshoey New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Totally agree with Elado, this business of comparing players leads to nowhere. I personally enjoying watching both, but Garrincha is a special joy because of his happiness and his quirkiness.

20. dante7

dante7 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    bournemouth
    i have extended highlights of his performances in the 3 world cups and his performances in 58 and 62 are quite unbelievable,he practically destroyed some of those teams beating there defenders again an again and then some more..he beat 1,2 3 players at times and often waits for the defenders to come and get him and still beats them,people talk about his explosiveness at going outside his marker but he was equally adept at going inside his markers at incredible speed.nilton santos called him a monster...he was right.cheers

21. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    ya bro you are right! pele was like a hitman! deadly.his intention was to finish you off! he was the take-no-prisoner kinda jogador with umbelievable God giving talent and he also could play the joyful game but that was secondary to him while with garrincha it was vice versa. thats why the mershed together so well! thats why a team with both Pele and Garrincha was the ultimate!!

22. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    yep! i agree! you see robinho and dinho reminds me of Garrincha because of the joy of their game while pele is a combination of Romario[deadly, finisher, a hitman]plus robinho and ronaldihno[joyful]! but garrincha was much more an entertainer than Pele , the way he plays. i guess they had 2 differenct approaches to the game!

Robinho bare such a striking physical resemblance to the young Pele is amazing! they both have that boyishness and joy and their smile is so alike and to top it binho was with santos Pele's old team and the most successful santos team after peles was the robinho santos team! scary huh!:D

but if Robinho works on his finishing skills or change his attitude infront of the goal{bussiness not fancy stuff] then Pele's statement that robinho has the talent to be even better than him might be true even though i doubt it but he might be almost as complete as O'rei!

23. jjthomas

jjthomas New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It is not fair to compare both.

Garrincha was called "Joy Of The pEople".He was entertaining and also winning.He had great impact on the team and also the Game of Football.
    Seeing him playing gave people the out most joy and pleasure.At his funeral people wrote in a banner "Thank you, Garrincha, for having lived" .

What else does a player need.