Division 3 - 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Aug 18, 2017.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you went to a D3 school, or know someone who did go/will go/ is going to a D3 school, or you are a D3 fan, please post here about your favorite team or nemesis.

The NSCAA coaches Pre-season Rankings are out.
    http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d3/nscaa-coaches

The 2017 season is right here! Between the Euros, being inflicted with a soccer crush on Lieke Martens, and keeping up with the NWSL, it has snuck up on me. I’ve checked the upcoming D3 schedules for early season games between Top 25 teams.

Here are TOP 25 Games for September 2017 –

As usual, most teams live stream their home games for free and you can get the streams by going to the school’s Woso schedule page and find the links.
    FRI9-1#15 Stevens at #2 Messiah#4 William Smith at #16 McDaniel
    SAT9-2#22 Washington & Lee at #18 Centre
    SUN9-3#3 Chicago at #10 Pomona Pitzer#25 Rowan at #13 Johns Hopkins
    WED9-6#25 Denison at #5 William Smith#13 Johns Hopkins at #2 Messiah
    SAT9-9#10 Pomona Pitzer at #1 WashU#2 Messiah at #4 William Smith
    WED9-13#13 Johns Hopkins at #12 TCNJ#17 Middlebury at #14 Amherst#24 Nazareth at #21 Buffalo State
    SAT9-16#22 Carnegie Mellon at #2 Messiah#4 WashU at #15 Wisconsin Whitewater
    SUN9-17#1 WashU at #10 Wisconsin-Whitewater
    WED9-20#25 Rowan at #20 Arcadia
    SAT9-23#14 Amherst at #7 WilliamsThe Battle for Massachusetts happens early this year.

Messiah is looking to get tough early with 4 Top 25 games in September. Johns Hopkins has 3. I’ll note the following teams have no Top 25 games in September: Trinity TX, Brandeis, Hardin-Simmons, Thomas More, and Penn State Berks.

SoccerSwattie repped this.
  2. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the D3Soccer.com message boards, I learned of two coaching changes in the Top 25 and near Top 25 schools .
    http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?board=1523.0

#9 Thomas More
    • 13-year head coach Jeff Cummings resigned in February to pursue career opportunities outside soccer.
      • 2016 Record: 22-1-1.
      • Two First Team All-Americans have graduated: MF Laura Felix and MF Taylor Robinson .
    • Kim McGowan was hired in April.
      • She was head coach the last two years at D3 Olivet College, previously was assistant at Hiram and Agnes Scott. Played 4 years for D3 Ohio Northern.
      • Team returns 6 seniors and 1 junior, with 11 first years listed on the 2017 roster.
      • Team did a ten day trip to Costa Rica at the beginning of August - probably good for getting to know the new coach.
    #RV Wentworth
    • 5-year head coach Bobby Desilets resigned in January to take head coaching position at D3 Wheaton College (Mass.).
      • 2016 Record: 16-4-3, winning 1st Woso conference championship in Wentworth history.
      • One First Team NSCAA All-New England player graduated: defender Mary Pastorelli.
    • Meredith Carey was hired in June.
      • She was assistant coach 7 years at D3 Babson after 6 years as an assistant at D1 Northeastern. Played 4 years at D1 Harvard.
      • Team returns 5 seniors and 7 juniors.
    .........It seems that McGowan has a much bigger challenge than Carey does....

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2017 Notable Returnees

Players I recommend watching if you get a chance.
    My favorites are in Bold.

I. Returning NSCAA (Now USC) All Americans:

POSAA TeamPLAYER 2017 SEASONSCHOOLHOMETOWN
    GK 2ndSarah McDonald Sr.McDaniel College Yardley, Pa.
    D 2ndEmily MaxwellSr.Lynchburg College Quantico, Va.
    M 1stMaggie Crist Jr.Washington University (Mo.) Wayzata, Minn.
    M 1stJenna McKinney Jr.University Of Chicago Tampa, Fla.
    M 3rdKristen McCrea So.Worcester Polytechnic Institute Weymouth, Mass.
    M 3rdMia Calamari Sr.University Of Chicago Barrington, Ill.
    F 1stKami Jones Sr.Hardin-Simmons University Comfort, Texas
    F 3rdHannah Guzzi Sr.Amherst College Southborough, Mass.
    F 3rdJackie Stevens Sr.Misericordia University Silverdale, Pa.
    F 3rdMaddie Fleet Jr.Franklin College Indianapolis, Ind.
    F 3rdMallory DeBoom Jr.University of St. Thomas Edina, Minn.

II. Players I watched on-line or in person and was impressed:

POSPLAYER2017 SEASONSCHOOLHOMETOWN
    GKJoey LyonsSo.RPIHarwood, MD
    GKJulia PitinoSr.Trinity CTCharlotte, NC
    DHanna MaatallahJr.BrandeisWilton, CT
    D Veronica ChungJr.Puget SoundWoodville, WA
    DAlexa BarbaresiSr.Trinity CTNewport Beach, CA
    MHaley RoySo.AmherstArlington, VA
    MSarah SeperJr.VassarNew Hyde Park, NY
    MPhoebe WadeJr.William SmithBrooklyn, NY
    M-FAmanda RoneySr.OneontaSchoharie, NY
    FLura MortonJr.Puget SoundMoscow, ID
    FBrooke FirestoneSo.MessiahDover, PA
    FAbbey SaiaSo.RITMonroe, CT
    FHaili AdamsSr.Carnegie MellonKirkland, WA
    FKristina AlvaradoJr.WilliamsMurietta, CA

4. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.
  5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, back in the dark ages on the men's side, I played for one of these teams and regularly played against three others. Times have changed, that's for sure.:thumbsup:

SiberianThunderT and CoachJon repped this.
  6. RtD!

RtD! Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    CoachJon and SoccerSwattie repped this.
  7. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    #7 SoccerSwattie, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    RtD!, has Pomona historically scrimmaged teams of the caliber of U Chicago and WashU?? Wondering if last season's deep run in the NCAA Tournament influenced the schedule...I think Uof C defeated them in PK's in the Elite 8 stage?? But I don't think playing in the freezing cold in Wisconsin in late November had anything to do with the loss for the Californians!

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you mean being there live, there may not be a video feed. It appears that for some reason unknown to me, WashU is not playing Pomona-Pitzer at Francis Field, which is the normal home field for WashU. The game is to be played on Gay Field at Centene stadium in Clayton, MO; a High School field. The infrastructure needed to stream video may not exist there.
    Check out the right side of this web page http://www.washubears.com/sports/wsoc/index
    I would keep checking as the game gets closer - things may change.​

9. RtD!

RtD! Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    That must be the home field of Fontbonne. P-P will be playing them the next day. Looks like P-P & Milliken came in to play WashU and Fontbonne back-to-back.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FRI 4:00 PM: #4 William Smith vs. #16 McDaniel at Salisbury University, MD
    Video Stream: None that I could find.

FRI 7:00 PM: #15 Stevens at #2 Messiah
    Video Stream: http://www.gomessiah.tv/

SAT 3:00 PM: #22 Washington & Lee at #18 Centre
    Video Stream:
    https://portal.stretchinternet.com/centre/portal.htm?eventId=374744&streamType=video

SUN 11:00 AM (Pacific time) #3 Chicago at #10 Pomona Pitzer
    Possible Video Stream: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/pomonapitzer/

SUN 3:30 PM #25 Rowan at #13 Johns Hopkins
    Video Stream: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/jhu/

#4 William Smith
    Returning
    Sr. Evie Manning (M, Lytham, England) and Jr. Megan Richard (F, Southwick, MA). Richard is an excellent back-to-the-goal forward and Manning (11G & 6A) has improved every year (she played on the 2013 National Championship team and then redshirted her So. year.​
    Lost
    8 Seniors, including two first team All-Americans: Emma Diehl (D) and Kara Shue (M/F, 13G &15A).​

#16 McDaniel
    Returning
    Second team All-American Sr. Sarah McDonald (GK, Yardley, PA) and Sr. Katie Kirchenmann (F, Damascus, MD), who had 11G & 6A in 2016.​
    Lost
    Starters Nicole Hill (F, 6G & 11A), Christina Wroblewski (M, 6G & 4A), and sister Catherine Wroblewski (M, 1G).​

#15 Stevens
    Returning
    Jr. Zisi Komar (F, San Diego, CA) with 16G &12A in 2016.​
    Lost
    Second team All American Raba Nassif (F, 23G &15A) – one of my very favorites​

#2 Messiah
    Returning
    So. Sunny Gelnovatch (M, Earlysville, VA), who played all 25 games and started 24 in 2016 as a First Year (8G & 6A) and impactful So. Brooke Firestone (F, Dover, PA). Firestone is a player to watch.​
    Lost
    8 Seniors, including two first team All-Americans: Kayla Deckert (D) and Marisa Weaver (F, 25G &7A).​

#22 Washington & Lee
    Returning
    Jr. Megan Engeland (M, Yardley, PA) and Jr. Caroline Peters (F, Charlotte, NC) who combined for 15G and 7A.​
    Lost
    Tricia Jessee (F) who led the team with 11G & 2A.​

#18 Centre
    Returning
    So. Alana Hughes (Lexington, KY) with 7G & 8A, and So. Jessie Turner (D, Versailles, KY) who was third team All-Region.​
    Lost
    First team All-American Destinie Graves (F, 23G &10A).​

#3 Chicago
    Returning
    First team All-American Jr. Jenna McKinney (M, Tampa, FL) with 14G & 8A and third team All-American Sr. Mia Calamari (M, Barrington IL) who had 8G & 12A- another favorite of mine.​
    Lost
    One senior starter, Sophia Kim with 2G & 5A.​

#10 Pomona Pitzer
    Returning
    Jr. Peri Cuppens (F, Lincoln, NE) who had 9G &1A, and Srs. Abby Onderwyzer Gold (M, Oakland, CA) and Natasha Thornton-Clark (F, Hillsborough, CA) who combined for 11G & 8A.​
    Lost
    First team All-American Nadia Alaiyan (D).​

#25 Rowan
    Returning
    Srs. Melissa Kelly (F, Pine Rock, NJ) who had 7G &5A and Shannon Reardigan (F, Glassboro, NJ) who had 10G & 8A.​
    Lost
    Maxine New (F) who was All-Region third team (12G & 6A).​

#13 Johns Hopkins
    Returning
    Srs. Bailey Monaco (F, South Salem, NY) and Kristen Hori (F, Honolulu, HI), who combined for 8G and 9A.​
    Lost
    Two second team All-Americans, Ana Bengoechea (M) and explosive Meg Van de Loo (F), who combined for 36G and 18A.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 CoachJon, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games watched on Friday

#24 Nazareth (home) over Oneonta: 2– 1 (Live)

I had to leave about 10 minutes into the second half to get home to watch the William Smith game – all the scoring happened while I was there. Oneonta in the 8th min. and Nazareth in the 46th and 48th min. Nazareth was on the front foot pretty much all of the first half, and had two or three SOG before Oneonta scored. They started the second half strongly as well. I felt that Oneonta’s Jr. Jess Downin (M, Franklin, NY) was their strongest player. Nazareth’s Sr. Julia Delgatti (F, Rochester, NY) was a constant threat up top, even though she (impatiently) sent three SOG early in the first half directly at the Oneonta keeper. She assisted the first goal and scored the second. I was also impressed by Nazareth Sr. Kate Billington (RFB, Warnersville, NY and Sr. Sarah Conroy (RCB, East Northport, NY)

#4 William Smith over #16 McDaniel 5-0: at Salisbury (Stream)

I did not have high expectations for my William Smith Herons, having graduated 8, including two 1st team All-Americans. I was pleasantly impressed. They played the same brand of soccer as last year and seemed to be jelling way more than one would expect for an opening game - scoring in the 9th, 16th, 33rd, and 41st mins. They stayed strong and organized even as the subs started coming on in the first half – the second two goals were scored by first-years who came off the bench. I felt that William Smith’s So. Elizabeth Moore (CB, Williamsville, NY) was very strong, as was Sr. Lauren Kogelman (DM, Slingerlands, NY). McDaniel’s keeper Sarah McDonald (Sr. Yardley, PA) had a strong game- two of her nine saves being all-American caliber; despite the fact that 5 got past her.

#2 Messiah (home) drew #15 Stevens 0-0 2OT (Stream)

I was curious about how Messiah would deal with the loss of its 8 seniors and two 1st team All-Americans. Like William Smith, they came out and looked just like Messiah looks. I was impressed by Messiahs’s Jr. DJ Cole (D, Lebanon, PA), who was all over the defensive half and made several forays into the attack and by Sr. Skylar Ulry (D, Charlotte, NC), who was an intelligent brick wall at center back. I was also impressed by the Stevens defenders, who stifled Messiah’s attack in the defensive third: Delany West (Sr. , Lumbeton, NJ) , Megan Lynes (Sr., Clovis, CA), Ashleigh Nagy (Fr. Bethlehem, PA), Katie Goncalves (Sr., Dix Hills, NY), and Erica O’Kelly (Fr. Brielle, NJ). Stevens beat Messiah last year at home 2-1 in an early September game, so I'm sure they had confidence going into this one.

Messiah Coach Frey’s youngest daughter, Maggie, who appeared in 19 games last season as a first-year is not listed on the 2017 roster – injury? Stevens, ranked #15, appeared to be a very much stronger team than #16-ranked McDaniel.

Random Notes

At the Nazareth – Oneonta game Friday, when the stadium announcer asked everyone to stand for the national anthem, the entire Nazareth men’s lacrosse team, who were in the middle of a practice on a near- by field, stopped, took off their helmets and faced the flag during the anthem.

I have watched two of my local JC team’s games this fall – Finger Lakes Community College. I noticed that captains on all three teams wore their arm bands around their socks. I looked for the same at the D3 games I saw yesterday and did not see it.

13. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I suspect McD might have to catch up with their ranking as it were. On another note I saw an interesting match between Emery of the UAA vs Georgia Gwinett of the NAIA. First time the two Georgia based teams had ever met. GG seemed to dominate possession and stayed in control of the game most of the time but ended up losing 1-2 to Emery on the latter's successful counter attack in the last 2 minutes of the game. Was a good game to watch.

CoachJon repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does sound like a good one. Gwinett was not a pre-season NAIA top 25 team. I see their first year head coach is veteran Mike Guiliano, who must have made improvements in the team already. He has a stellar resume:
    Four-Time NSCAA/adidas National Coach of the Year (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003)
    Four-Time NAIA Coach of the Year (1999, 2001, 2002, 2003)
    Eight-Time NSCAA Regional Coach of the Year (1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2012, 2014)
    11-Time Conference Coach of the Year
    Coached 14 All-Americans and 60 All-Conference Players​

15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sat & Sun Games

#4 William Smith over Salisbury (home) 1-0 (Stream)

This one looked more like an opening day game for William Smith. Salisbury challenged William Smith on the ball pretty much the whole game; pressure they did not see from McDaniel. I thought Salisbury Sr. Rachel Anderson (D, Bowie, MD) pretty much single-handedly kept William Smith from taking good shots and keeper Hope Knussman (Sr. , Easton, MD) made some outstanding saves, particularly in a bang-bang-bang sequence near the middle of the second half. William Smith first-year Sheila McQuillen (F, Natick, MA) impressed me during both WS games with her skill and maturity of play on the left side.

#22 Washington & Lee at #18 Centre – Did not Play

Bad Weather on Friday moved those games to Saturday and the Saturday games were not played.
    #22 Washington & Lee over Berry 2-1 at Centre
    #18 Centre (home) drew Wittenberg 0-0, 2OT

#3 Chicago over #10 Pomona Pitzer (home) 3-0 (Stream)

I tuned in just in time for Chicago’s 3rd goal in the 41st min. Video stream was below average and it was tough to follow the action and identify players. Second half was boring – back and forth, with only 2 SOG, both by CHI.

#13 Johns Hopkins (home) over #25 Rowan 1-0 (Stream)

Hopkins’ Homewood Field turf is too hard – it was very tough for players to control any ball that was not rolling flat on the ground. Rowan seemed to look for pass first, then dribble, which I liked. Hopkins was the stronger team overall. No single players stood out for me in this game.

16. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    It will be interesting to see if JHU can replace the production of last season's Seniors. Doubtful IMHO just from a statistical perspective. Former senior Van de Loo racked up 25 goals last season which will be statistically difficult to equal much less surpass.

CoachJon repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will see soon.
    Wed 9/6/17
    #13 Johns Hopkins (2-0-0) at #2 Messiah (1-0-1)
    7:00 pm : http://www.gomessiah.tv/

18. GKparent2019

GKparent2019 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    CoachJon My daughter is looking at a few of the schools you have listed. I will be trying to watch some of these games. I will try to give some input on games. I like to read what you have to say about the teams and about the coaches. Thanks for doing this.

SoccerSwattie and CoachJon repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopkins-Messiah postponed until tomorrow.

GRANTHAM, Pa. - Due to sustained and forecasted rainfall in the Mid-Atlantic Region this week the Messiah women's soccer match with Johns Hopkins is postponed to tomorrow, Sept. 7. The game, which was originally scheduled for Shoemaker Field, will now be played at Johns Hopkins at 7:30 p.m.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/jhu/

20. GKparent2019

GKparent2019 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    CoachJon, I saw you have Joey Lyons as a player to watch for RPI but she has not played in the 1st 2 games of the season. Is she hurt because I dont even see her listed as a sub?

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not aware of this. Lyons started all 20 games last year. Tori Riopelle, the senior goalkeeper who is playing this year, played in only 2 games last year - both in September.

Lyons is on the web site roster - I am not sure what you mean by 'not listed as a sub.' Do you know if Lyons is going to the games with the team?

SPECULATION ONLY: In her RPI action photos, she wears a 'helmet.' Perhaps some concussion issues have emerged for her. I hope not.

22. GKparent2019

GKparent2019 Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    CoachJon, Sorry I read the box scores wrong.

I did notice she wears a helmet too. I hope you are correct and she starts to play now and there is no injury.

23. SoccerSwattie

SoccerSwattie Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I watched JHU vs Messiah...great to see college teams that play possession based soccer. Overall I thought that M was the better team so I consider a tie to be a "win" for JHU. M seems to play faster and connected long sequences of passes with fairly exciting 1-touch sequences of passes. However, looking at the game stats JHU launched 11 shots vs only 5 for M and JHU had 8 SOG vs only 2 for M.

24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the William Smith -1 Messiah -0 game today. As usual I do not watch William Smith games with objectivity. I actually missed the William Smith goal at 48:03, because I was still making it back to the field from my car. I was told that it came as a result of super hustle by Sr. Evie Manning (F, Lytham, England) who drove the right side and turned the corner at the end line and made a fairly short pass to Jr.Megan Richard (F, Southwick, MA) for the goal. The game was fairly even throughout, but it did not have the feel of a heavyweight boxing match, like the last two or three games between these teams. William Smith Jr. Megan Barwick (M, Seattle, WA) was the best player on the field; she roamed the midfleld and was effective on both sides of the ball.

After watching Messiah twice on the video stream and once live - they seem to miss their seniors much more than I have noticed in the past - and they don't (yet) have that one game-changing player that they have had in the past, like Nikki Elsaesser or Marisa Weaver. They were playing at William Smith Saturday, after playing Johns Hopkins through 2 overtimes on Thursday at Johns Hopkins; so Messiah was probably a bit tired and road-weary. Messiah has a tough September schedule, so they are putting into practice the proverb: iron sharpens iron. We will see them in the NCAAs.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see her in the box scores either. ( I guess the GK substitutes are not listed on the box score with the other substitutes). Lyons did start and play 90 minutes Friday - RPI fell 2-0 to Plattsburgh State. RPI plays again on Sunday 9/10/17, 3:30 pm at home. Video stream: http://www.rpiathletics.com/sports/2013/9/5/WSOC_0905131951.aspx?id=3557