Division 3 - 2015

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by CoachJon, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Fitballer

Fitballer Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Thought it was a really great game and your Heron's were unlucky...I too will be rooting for Williams from here on out!

CoachJon repped this.
  2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Hasn't Messiah just dismantled their opponents in this Tournament? Hard to bet against them as it seems they're on a mission (pun intended).
    While I would bet on Messiah, I'm now rooting for Centre and hope that Jay wins it and becomes National COY. It would likely have to be a massive defensive effort and likely take some extra TYP to win. (I'm calling them Twelve Yard Passes) ;)

Funny - in D3, you now get Thanksgiving break off. What do they do in d1? stay in hotels near campus and eat at restaurants when the campus is closed? Seems crazy they play 4 campus games at totally closed campuses. I think the men have 8 games that weekend.

Fitballer and CoachJon repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on William Smith's experience, Messiah is a very hard nut to crack. WS lost to Messiah in the NCAA semifinals 2008:3-0, 2010:4-0, and 2011 1-0, and tied Messiah in regular season 2011: 0-0 and 2012:1-1; finally winning during the 2013 regular season 1-0. followed by a 1-0 regular season loss in 2014 and draw 0-0 in 2015.

Messiah did lose to Ithaca in the 2013 NCAAs 1-0 and tied Stevenson and Lynchburg 1-1 each in the 2014 NCAAs. Messiah advanced in KFTPM 4-3 over Stevenson and Lynchburg advanced by a 3-1 tally in KFTPM.

So Messiah can be had, but otherwise you're probably looking at a 3-0 or 4-0 loss.

Fitballer repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Before the format change, there were no games on Thanksgiving weekend.

Travel cost too much.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Man, WashU's Chandler has been rocking the 1-v-3 attacks this second OT...

CoachJon repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lizzy Crist PK MVP!!! =-D

8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She Made saves in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds to allow WashU to get to Round 6. In the 6th WashU made theirs and Messiah's shot was over the bar. WashU advances.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She and Anna Sipple gave Messiah problems all day when Messiah did not have the ball. For the WashU defense, Megan Niclay did an excellent job making a number of excellent 1 v 1 tackles against Nikki Elsaesser and Hannah Rosenberg did a fine job defensively as well as getting into the attack. I thought those 4 carried the team today - plus Crist's goalkeeping in KFTPM.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 CoachJon, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    You can see full replays of both semifinal games at the NCAA site. Scroll down the page to the "Championships" heading. The full Messiah vs. WashU game video was posted when I looked at 5:30 pm; the game ended at about 2:30 pm, so the Williams vs. Centre game should be posted by about 7:30 or so.

http://www.ncaa.com/video

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semi Final Game reports :

http://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-wom...r-gk-lizzy-crist-steps-send-wash-u-title-game

http://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-wom...er-albaneze-scores-twice-sends-williams-title

Championship tomorrow – Saturday at 2:30 pm Eastern time: Streamed by NCAA:

http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2015/12/05

WashU
    did 2OT today and Williams played 90 minutes. No day of rest. Without OT today and with their liberal use of substitutes, Williams should have slightly fresher legs. That may make the difference.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are some of my impressions of the Semifinal games.

Messiah vs. WashU. Messiah plays a very pretty game – a pleasure to watch. They often put 5 or 6 players in the zone from 18 to 25 yards out and move the ball from side to side the width of the field within the zone, looking for the chance to play someone (Nikki Elsaesser usually) through vertically with a short pass. They don’t often just take on a defender 1 on1. Their defense is mostly time of possession by the offense.

On the other hand, WashU appeared to play a more, I hate to say it, primitive attack. Their approach appeared to be” chuck the ball toward the goal, create chaos , and something good will happen. “ I know that is not very fair to the players or coaches, but that is how it looked to me. Note Siberian Thunder T’s comment about WashU’s Katie Chandler attacking 1 v. 3 throughout the OT. As it turned out, I think the WashU approach was more favorable to earning an equalizer or winning goal, than the Messiah approach. Credit to WashU’s defense for allowing Messiah only one goal.

Contrary to the foregoing comments, after receiving a pass, on the left side of the box Messiah’s Nikki Elsaesser drove to the goal 1 v 1 at about the 97th minute, and cleared her defender, however Lizzie Crist aggressively came off her line with perfect timing and stuffed the opportunity. Her best save of the game. Credit to WashU’s defense for allowing Messiah only one goal.

Centre vs. Williams. Williams conceded to Destinie Graves within two minutes of the game’s start, and had to play catch-up thereafter. They did so by dominating possession and turning Kristina Alvarado loose to attack at will. As I was watching Williams play, I had the impression that all the players back to front were very comfortable on the ball and willingly carried the ball ahead, most often with their head up. In the 69th minute as I was watching Natasha Albanese carry the ball down the left side, I commented – “ there’s another player who is not shy to dribble the ball,.” Whereupon she cut to the middle of the field and laced a hard curving drive that caromed off the far post and into the goal. Albaneze gets credit for the second goal (PK), but it was Alvarado that earned it by driving baseline and getting cut down by the defender.

Just prior to the PK, I had decided that Centre’s CB Tori Dillard was their Player of the Match. Even though she was the one that fouled Alvarado, for the rest of the game she continued her outstanding play, and I still think she was Centre’s best player.

Williams always attacked with 6, but Centre was totally focused on getting Graves the ball, even to the point that their other great forward, Alex Combs, had few, if any, forays on goal.

The Final. I will be rooting for Williams, as I said after they advanced past William Smith. Trying to be objective, Williams will have fresher legs than WashU, these players “have been there before” (in the Finals just last year in KC), have an excellent possession game, and play with more reckless abandon in the attack than Messiah does. I would favor Williams going into the game….. but it’s soccer after all; anything can happen.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game On - Chandler is a one women wrecking crew! Bears dominate first 20minutes,

14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2016 NWSL Draft.
    The preliminary list of players signing up for the draft is out. If a player does not sign up for the draft she cannot play in the NWSL in 2016, even via tryout or invitation. Dagný Brynjarsdóttir ran into that in 2015.

I only saw 3 non- D1 players on the list, and no D3 players (but I may have missed someone).

Sierra Lelii,, 5’7”, Forward, NOVA Southeastern University (D2)
    From Seminole, FL
    NSCAA Second Team D2 All-American
    Lead team with 18 G & 3 A in 18 games.

Jodian Morris
    , 5’0”, Midfield/Forward, Wayland Baptist University (NAIA)
    From Spanish Town, Jamaica
    First Team All Conference: Sooner Athletic Conference
    Lead team with 19 G & 3 A in 17 games
    Jamaica U-17 and U-20 National Team

Silvia Munoz, 5’6”, Midfield/Forward, William Penn University (NAIA)
    From Paramount, CA
    Second Team All Conference: Heart of America Conference
    Lead team with 10 G & 2 A in 17 games

15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    William Smith Women Inspire
    Published on Feb 29, 2016
    We’re Three Miles Lost, the all female a cappella group at Hobart and William Smith Colleges (HWS) and we sing for survivors. Arranged by Nick Bombicino and filmed by Bree von Bradsky '16, we present our original arrangement of “Til it Happens to You,” created by Lady Gaga and Diane Warren for the Sing for Survivors Contest sponsored by ItsOnUs and The Hunting Ground Film. In order to spread further awareness on our campus, we enlisted the help of multiple HWS groups who were featured in our video, including clubs, fraternities, and the Hobart and William Smith Athletic Departments, Mike Hanna, Deb Steward and Sophie Riskie. We want to send a very special thank you to President Mark Gearan for appearing in our video, as well as the entire HWS community for their overwhelming support. We couldn’t have done it without you!

We've pledged our support, now it’s your turn! Visit itsonus.org and sign the pledge to stand again sexual assault today.

Fitballer repped this.
  16. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D3 NSCAA Awards for 2015 – Congratulations to All

ALL AMERICANS
    Three Time All Americans:
    Nikki Elsaesser, Messiah
    Nicci Bermudes, Aurora​

2 each from Messiah, Illinois Wesleyan, Trinity, Lynchburg, WashU, Centre, and William Smith.​

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    Nikki Elsaesser, Messiah​

SCHOLAR PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    Mai Mitsuyama, Williams​

COACH OF THE YEAR
    Michelyne Pinard, Williams

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is too soon to start the 2016 D3 thread, but here is some news

Video review rule approved for NCAA soccer for 2016 season
    Greg Johnson | NCAA.org
    Last Updated - Apr 12, 2016 13:54 EDT
    Contact | Archive | RSS
    Video reviews will be allowed in college soccer starting with the 2016 season.

During its teleconference Monday, the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved a proposal allowing the use of video review in men’s and women’s soccer for three specific situations, all of which will be at the discretion of the referee and must display indisputable video evidence for the original call be overturned. They are:

• Determine whether a goal has been scored.
    • Identify players for disciplinary matters.
    • Determine whether a fight occurred and identify all participants.
    The new rule is not required. However, if both coaches agree to allow video review before the start of the game, the home team will be responsible for providing the review equipment, and it must be available at the scorekeeper’s table or at another location at field level.

The Men’s and Women’s Soccer Rules Committee believes the recommendation will allow the referee to take advantage of technology to ensure the correct call is made on the field in limited, game-critical situations.