Die Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft News & Discussion Thread - Road to Russia 2018 Thread (R)

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Cris 09, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well Brandt hasn't shone for the NT or the U teams either to this point. Sané has also obviously more talent as had a stunning season as starter for a record breaking team winning the league and going deep into the CL while becoming the official fastest player in the PL ever. I don't see any achievement of Brandt that would let me prefer him over Sané, not a single one.

2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do agree, that none of the current midfielders have that toughness/aggressive style. Closest in that regard might have been Can.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

I suspect Loew will go back to using Kroos and Ozil to try and control the hell out of the midfield like in France

4. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With a 3 man defense, or with a third midfielder?

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's an interesting question

I guess tactically Kimmich and Hector are two of the key players and a 3 man defence does support them to get forward and covers somewhat for the lack of a dynamic 6

That also gives you 4 in midfield

For me Kimmich is the key to the right wing so I'd prefer him to play as a very attacking player with Mueller narrow and Ozil nominally on the left

So having said all that Loew will surely play 3 CMs ;)

nekkibasara and MatthausSammer repped this.
  6. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    Bastian has on the downside of his career at that point. It did not help that neither he or Khedira were fully fit. How Bastian battled in the final made a big difference. Germany would have been even stronger in 2014 if both were fully fit.

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In some ways Germany were fortunate that Schweini, coming back from injury, reached peak fitness later in the tournament

IMO the final was only close due to the injury to Khedira

that midfield 3 was lethal

8. Lewisfromuk

Lewisfromuk Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    May 15, 2018
    I agree that both of them haven't done anything for the national team yet. That is why a decision is needed to decide which one of them can potentially benefit the national team more in the upcoming world cup. You can say Sane has a better stats this season, but it is because he is in a very dominant team in premier league. The way he plays relies on the interchange play with other very good players in man city and his advantage is his pace, which is very useful in open play in weekly matches during a whole season. But in tournament matches, space is really tight, you rarely are able to beat defender by dribbling pass (his dribbling skill is not that good either, unlike Rahim sterling) or speeding pace. Brandt is different type of player, his recent performance during match against brazil and many matches during this season show that he can put a dangerous pass to his team mate in tight space, which is exactly the way how Germany national team plays, plus I think Brandt has slightly better finishing than Sane (it is only my instinct impression after seeing them played many matches, I might be wrong), also Brandt can operate in left, right, middle, even can be put up front as a striker. That is why I prefer Brandt over Sane. We will see how Loew decide in the end, likely they both will make it.

Ger90 repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting to look back at 2016

Ozil and Kroos were very dominant in midfield

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    then on top of that Khedira's replacement Kramer also got injured. There were tons of injuries before the WC14 and during it.

now once again, this WC we have a handful of players missing based on injuries. And guys like Boa and Neuer not fit yet, Boa seems less of an issue than Neuer.

we can never have a tournament without injuries, sheesh. Well at least Reus finally gets a chance to be part of his 2nd tournament.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yep - its easy to forget Ozil played the final 75mins of the final in central midfield

So while there is no direct Schweini replacement, Kroos is now much better than 4 years ago, so even a midfield 3 of Kroos, Ozil +1 is still extremely decent

MatthausSammer repped this.
  12. Lewisfromuk

Lewisfromuk Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    May 15, 2018
    One of the ways Sane plays is interchanging play with other midfield player and he provide the cross into the penalty area, but in Germany national team, this role is provided by the two full backs, unless Loew is willing to change the system for Sane, it is unlikely Sane will be useful with that kind of play

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol

Lionel Messi has stated that he wishes his Argentina side “were more like Germany” ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was speaking to Argentine sports channel TyC Sports, where he confirmed his admiration for the nation that beat him in the 2014 World Cup final in Rio de Janeiro as he looks for revenge in Russia.

“I wish we were more like Germany and worked like them,” Messi said. “They keep working on a long-term plan and rejuvenate the team at the right time.

“They’re already preparing for the next World Cup,” the Barcelona forward continued, likely referencing the extension of coach Joachim Löw’s contract to the 2022 edition in Qatar.

The 123-time Argentina international was also full of praise for the strength in depth of the world champions, lauding their “surplus of players” and ability to “easily put out two teams in the World Cup, like they did in the Confederations Cup they won.”

For Messi, this comes, above all, down to the differing mentalities between the two 2014 World Cup finalists. “They have a different way of preparing, letting people work, and judging them on what they do.”
    https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/...products&utm_term=english&utm_content=article

Kind of ironic
    Messi participates in 3 WCs and all 3 times Germany knocks out Argentina.

14. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One thing I have noticed a lot from Kimmich this season is how he often tucks into midfield for Bayern to offer an additional midfielder to overload and dominate the center. It reminds me of how Lahm played under Pep as a full back.

Ger90 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wagner resigns from NT

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

good riddance seems like an overgrown child. Declaring himself the best German striker, his pubic row with Gomez.

Now there is no more need to consider him post WC. With Gomez also done after the WC. It should make it easier for the mid-20s guys to finally get their chance. With a consideration for Stindl/Petersen in terms of older guys.

17. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #1867 Karl-Heinz Riedle, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    I dont know if Rudy will be there ..... or deserves to be there

Yea we are quite thin at the CM position, but lets hope Loew can help Goretzka and make him an allround midfielder (now he is more on the offensive side)

We are thin at CM doesnt mean we need to nominate someone like Seb Rudy

maybe Ginter can provide some toughness as a backup DM.

We will most likely nominate 5 CBs, and Sule/ Rudiger are ahead of Ginter at the CB position. If Ginter wanna seek playing time, he can showcase himself during training. Apparently Sule played a bit of DM for Bayern too

--------------------------------ter Stegen
    -----Kimmich--------Boateng-------Hummels-------Hector
    ----------------------------------Ginter--
    ------------------------Khedira-------Kroos
    -----------Muller-------------Werner----------------Sane

Backup:

------------------------------Neuer
    -----xxx----------Rudiger----------Sule------------Plattenhardt
    ---------------------Goretzka--------Gundogan
    -------Reus-------------------Oezil-----------------Draxler
    --------------------------------M.Gomez

21 players, + a GK and Petersen ?

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ginter isn't playing DM. His most likely shot at playing would be if Kimmich gets injured, at which point he might play RB.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You dont have to respond to Frenchies posts. It is widely known he dumps his posts at several forums without intention of further debate. You could see that when his twitter account was still up.

20. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Why not play a back trio of Boateng, Hummels and Süle
    Kimmich and Hector on the flanks
    Kroos and Khedira/Gundogan
    Müller, Werner, Özil

Ger90 and nekkibasara repped this.
  21. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We almost certainly will see something like this at some point during the tournament. Replace Ozil with Reus or Sane and you have one hell of a counter/transition side. Would be interesting against Spain/France to see this line-up.

Ger90 and MatthausSammer repped this.
  22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm very curious whether we end up going with a three or four man backline predominantly in this tournament.

Ger90 repped this.
  23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Low did say that he used 3 CBs or 5 man defense at the CC as an experiment. I think we need to be flexible, play different systems based on the opponents. No need to play with 3 CBs vs every opponent.

24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He also did it a fair amount in France in 2016, IIRC.

Ger90 repped this.
  25. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the 3 CB formation is for the big opponents. I think we will see the 4 man back line through the group phase though.

One thing that I really like about Loew is how he constantly tries to evolve the team and tactics.

Thomsen and Ger90 repped this.