Did Someone Say Playoffs!!!

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by powerplay13, Mar 4, 2017.

1. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard it explained as "those in attendance don't care". That frustrates me because with the current state the game is in, it needs to cultivate FANS, not just bodies in the stands.

Fans care, and if you don't build fans, the attendance will only be there when goaded to come.

SteveCo repped this.
  2. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Mjames, I think you have hit a fundamental point. Fans vs bodies in seats. You have to wonder how many bodies in seats become fans? Lets say for all the boyscout troops, school day games and work outings bring in 1000 bodies in seats.

How many become fans? 1 in 50? 1 in 500? It probably will be somewhere in the bowels of the Marcomm Study that is lying around in my basement. With the advent of CRM software the number should be very easy to find out. Problem is I don't hold my breath if any teams in the league have bought CRM software for their sales force.

Gone are the days when Richard D______ (someone help an old man out with remembering the last name) pumped $5 million into the Cleveland Crunch.

SteveCo repped this.
  3. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    ...making notes

SteveCo repped this.
  4. WisStateChampion

Oct 26, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mom worked at Midwest for years!!! Midwest was a Milwaukee based airline, wasn't very big though, I wouldn't say a huge national company. Great benefits though!! I still have airline connections, don't think I have paid for airline flights since 1999! Might see a trip to Baltimore in my future!!!

SteveCo repped this.
  5. WisStateChampion

Oct 26, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole entire aircraft was a first class flight!! In its glory days, you could get shrimp scampi with wine and fine china....then the decline and you got a box with a sandwich in it and then eventually you had to pay extra for any food, and then they became Frontier Airlines......RIP Midwest and the good old DC-9's

SteveCo repped this.
  6. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I am convinced they fell apart due to lack of an airmiles partnership. Skymiles, One World or Star Alliance are the big three. The reciprocal benefits you can get from sticking with one airmiles alliance makes a big difference for the types of travelers who make the airlines money.

SteveCo repped this.
  7. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Great effort by the Fury last night! Pretty much dominated game 2 and then lost 1 to 0 in the mini. The Fury actually scored in the mini, but the goal was not counted. I guess the goal judge didn't think it crossed the goal line entirely, but it sure looked like it did. But Ontario did have a number of other chances to score in the mini and did not. The game did not end til 1am est, but was worth staying up for. Congrats to the Sockers and I will be very impressed if they can beat Sonora.

Tonight will be the final games for either the Heat or Blast. I think this series will go to a mini and then it will be interesting to see if the Heat can hang on to win. We will finally find out, for sure, if the Blast just aren't as good as last year, as they just have not been as dominate in the regular season as they have in the past. Or did they just have an off night last Saturday and will come out firing tonight? Will Hugo continue to dominate in goal for the Heat or will the Blast offense wake up? Looking forward to see what strategies coaches Cabral and Kelly end up using. Also wondering how many fans will turn out for this game on a Wednesday night, frigid cold and windy outside. Should be a great night of MASL soccer!

SteveCo and CometsFan repped this.
  8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I agree. And as a hardcore fan who thirsts for information sometimes I ruffle feathers by asking questions, but fans have no other resources for news.

You don't want to say a guy isn't playing because he has to take care of his neighbor's dog, but an injury report would be great and would create new storylines for the media and announcers.

9. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For players not playing (on the active 15 man game day roster) for reasons not related to injury or suspension, just list the player as 'Did not play - coach's decision'. Just require injury updates and available/not available to play(for injuries) status to be communicated to MASL 24 hours prior to the game, and post updates to the website at least 12 hours before the game.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ontario's announcer does NOT need more to talk about.

wlamar3 and SteveCo repped this.
  11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Isn't the bus on the left from The Muppet Movie? Dr. Teeth driving?

Kit, SteveCo and powerplay13 repped this.
  12. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You be the judge:

13. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    [QUOTE="the shelts, post: 35236431, member: 64513" Gone are the days when Richard D______ (someone help an old man out with remembering the last name) pumped $5 million into the Cleveland Crunch.[/QUOTE]

Richard Dietrich

SteveCo repped this.
  14. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Gettin' ya ready for the start of the MASL Conference Finals:

powerplay13 repped this.
  15. powerplay13

powerplay13 Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Great game last night to watch between the Blast and Wave. Seemed like just about everyone gave up on the Blast when the score was 6 to 3 Wave. Great comeback and exciting game to watch! Refs did a pretty good job, although a hand ball by Lemos (pass back from Ruggles in 4th) was not called, Could of ended up being a major no call, but in the end it didnt matter. Not sure why Rogue was not playing for the Blast, wonder if he will play Tuesday? Should be a great match up on Tuesday!

Tonight Sonora plays game 1 at SD. Should be an interesting match up. Due to the division that Sonora is in, they really have not been tested this season other than by the Sockers. SD won a home game earlier this year against the Soles, but has not won in Sonora in two tries this season. I believe tonights win is a must for SD if they want to advance. Sonora definitely has home field advantage with that smaller field and loud atmosphere. SD will probably have Toth in goal for the series which could also help the Socker's chances.

16. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    Roque was injured in Game 2 in Harrisburg. It didn't look good and he couldn't put any weight on it. He was heavily wrapped up later in the video when the Blast were celebrating the Mini-Game win.

cardshopmd and powerplay13 repped this.
  17. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great example of where requiring teams to file injury reports with the league and stating available / unavailable status due to injury would be a great service to fans and teams. It should not be rocket science to do this but the easy is seemingly difficult for most indoor soccer improvements.

powerplay13 repped this.
  18. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Between Sonora's goalie making some great saves and San Diego unable to hit the broad side of a barn, Sonora goes up 1-0 in the Western Conference Finals.

Oh,Kenn, if you think the announcer for Ontario can't stop talking, you ought to hear the two morons on the San Diego broadcast. No-stop dribble. It all started pre-game when one of them called the MASL the Major American Soccer League. :confused:

19. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They must of got these highlights from golive with all of the jumping in the video LOL

powerplay13 repped this.
  20. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan I would like to know who is injured. , But teams will not want to give the opposing team any insight as to who will not play on game day.

21. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several handballs and fouls were not called in that game. This is one of them 1-IMG_8415.JPG

powerplay13 repped this.
  22. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't know CardshopMD, that looks to me like he is in the box.

Headhunter21, SteveCo and NSL2004 repped this.
  23. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Lemos isn't actually touching the ball in the photo, either.

I didn't see the game, and seeing as the Wave lost, I likely won't watch the game. But that photo is less than incriminating.

24. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL, NBA, MLB, etc have various disabled lists and injury reports for players. If indoor soccer wants to be regarded as a serious sport, it needs to start doing things that professional sports leagues do. If everyone is informed of available status of players due to injury a day ahead of the game, no advantage is gained by any team. Either your guy can take the field or he can't. Your players still have to play well enough to win, and it's a team game. A decent team should have decent backups, the Wave (for example) put new guys in and hardly skipped a beat over the years.

It actually hurts a team to waste a game day roster spot for a player who can't actually play due to injury or only plays/hobble around for a shift or two. Professional players won't get 'psyched out' by some charade around "will so-and-so play tonight". Any coach who thinks that way is overestimating their own importance. Players win games at the end of the day.

cardshopmd and powerplay13 repped this.
  25. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though his feet are outside the penalty area, the ball itself appears to be either inside the penalty area or even with the line. If the ball is even with the line, it is inside the penalty area and therefore, the ball can be handled by the goalkeeper. Remember, in soccer, the position of the ball matters, not the position of the player.

powerplay13, SteveCo and Headhunter21 repped this.