Did I miss Something?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Apr 7, 2015.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #1 VolklP19, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Heard that Chicago Magic is working with USYouth and the DA to start a girls DA side for u12-u14???

If that's true it's gonna be a mess. I can see FC United, Campton and a whole bunch of other clubs jumping in. I am doubtful the requirements to become a member will be as stringent as the ECNL has which means it's just a money grabber.

Heard Chicago Fire boys will all go back to a pay schedule next season as well.

Also in my soccer.com magazine that arrived yesterday there is an ad for the newest member of Chicago Fire Jr's - which is Indiana. No big deal there but the add says that they (Chicago Fire Jr's) are a member of ECNL???

Apparently this happened last year - never heard about it.

2. tkpeterson12

tkpeterson12 Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Indiana
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Indiana Fire Jr's are "the club formerly known as" Carmel United, which was involved in ECNL.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah I saw that - May 2014. Guess Chi Fire just decided to market this nearly a year later.

4. GASOCCERFORUM

GASOCCERFORUM New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    any more on this? heard rumors, but no facts.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    From another thread...

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/club...ademy-in-2017-relegating-ecnl-to-second-tier/

I got this from parents of a non-ECNL club and heard that a few other clubs (non-ECNL) were also looking into it.

Makes me wonder if the ECNL is relegated to 2nd tier with roughly 79 clubs, if the DA version will be even less?

How will clubs get active membership?

6. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Heard a rumor that FC United may be taking over or absorbing the Magic. Gotta think with this relationship along with the one they have with the Fire that FCU will be close to having Academy options on both boys and girls sides

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #7 VolklP19, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    That would make sense because besides Magic (rumor I heard on the girls DA side), I also heard FC United was as well involved.

That said, what I am concerned with is, neither clubs have the amount of quality teams to make it into the ECNL. So why then if the ECNL is moved to a 2nd tier, would they qualify for DA status other than this being political?

Team Chicago and Galaxy I could see - as a unified front.

FCU has depth and a large program - but not the age based (consecutive) success that would get them through the ECNL door. Magic have no teams that are capable of winning State Cup even. Perhaps in a few years yes - but not anytime soon.

So if they are in, then the validity of this new league becomes a complete farce. If that is the case I would hope that USClub holds out and retains the quality clubs they have like DeAnza, Storm, Crossfire, Sockers, Surf and plenty more.

If ECNL can maintain membership, they will keep attracting scouts and developing quality players. This new DA will have to lower it's standards to accommodate lesser teams/clubs.

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    At first I thought you meant just the girls but another Magic mom just said that she thinks it's the entire club - oys included!!!

End of the Chicago Magic?

If so - well played by FCU.

But again - if ECNL holds on to their member clubs, it may not mean much for FCU girls.