Did facebook buy bigsoccer?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Cris 09, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, i understand that since you are a paying customer. What I don't get is why would they launch before everything is complete. No need to launch something when the work is a fraction complete. I meant he timing is quite bad to be honest. Should of waited until the season was completely done. Europe is nearly complete, libertadores is going on. Should of shut it completely down until everything was complete(meaning the site, close it down for 2-4 days or however long it would of taken). But whatever, if this is not the end product, then we just wait for it.

2. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Because they are physically incapable of learning from their previous upgrades.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Paying customer" obviously doesn't mean much to these guys....

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Internet. Srs bsns.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Meaning...?

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What the??????? The hell just happened here????

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, I just noticed a change, wonder if this is it?

8. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    They do it each time they "update" BS.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear what you're saying; but I'd argue that a site that depends on the money users pay for access shouldn't have quite as much contempt for those who pay as that post encourages.

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    HG
    Ok, but answer me this...how did you become, "Player of the Year?"

11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THat's not theirs, that's mine. And it's one of the things that came over from the old BS -- I changed that a long long long time ago. (Player of the Year is an album by Bootsy Collins.)

Kazuma and Cris 09 repped this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    It's not contempt. People just really need to chill the *** out. Every time an upgrade happens people lose their shit and say it's awful. Have you visited a site running vBulletin 2.x recently? In retrospect they are atrocious. People bitch and whinge for a little while, then they get used to the upgraded product and forget how bad the thing that it replaced was.

I've been using XenForo on a couple of forums for well over a year now, and trust me, it is a vast improvement on vBulletin 4.x, let alone the hulking stinking mess that is 3.x. It's just as intuitive once you get used to it, the functionality is miles better, and everything is just so much more painless.

Everyone is freaking out over new cosmetics, and stuff that isn't even finalised yet. If it's THAT big a deal, I don't see why you wouldn't just log off for a few days and come back when everything's bedded down.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmmm, or...and just hear me out on this, they could fix their issues and then launch the site when it is ready? Look, it's not about the new look, it is about the new layout. I may buy a new car but unless I'm in England, the stick shift is going to be on my right.

I think what bugs me most, is their need to "copy" facebook. The alerts, the likes, the newsfeed, the ********in' facebook terminology...I mean, c'mon. Really? What the hell is wrong with "rep"?

Huss repped this.
  14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not everything that people are bitching about is cosmetic. If you're including the lost functionality and content among the stuff that "isn't even finalised yet," I'd ask if it makes sense to roll the site out when restoring the functionality and content that used to be there is still a work in progress. That was the point of Andy's post in the upgrade thread.

15. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Facebook bought us. See ya, I'm going home!

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, there you go, rep seems to be back, and the likes are gone, as well as the newsfeed. I take a backseat to no one in my disdain for Facebook, so much so that I have to take your word for it that the new BS is FacebookLite. But let's face it, FaceBook is the "face" of social media, so if the developers of forum software copy FB, is it really that much of an affront?

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    The layout is not THAT different. Truly. The cosmetic changes make you go 'woah' at first, but once you get used to them you realise it is in fact extremely similar to how vB has functioned from a UI perspective.

The extra bells and whistles, you don't have to use them if you don't want to. You'll get to like them though. For example - it's so much nicer to have thread where if someone writes a good post it gets 8 'likes' instead of 8 posts quoting it in its entirety and saying "This" and "Good post". Likewise, if I respond to a thread, I don't have to subscribe to it and keep checking back every time there's a new post to see if someone's responded to what I've said. The quote notifications and 'mention' function do it for me.

I have been hanging out for this upgrade for a while. It is going to be lightyears better than old BigSoccer.

NickyViola and dark knight repped this.
  18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This!!!

Huss and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you multiquote?

Also, when you give a post rep, how do you attach a comment to that rep that the person who made the post you're repping (and only that person) can read?

20. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    lol @ caesar.

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Just click on "Quote" for every post you want to respond to. It will populate the reply box automatically.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good point...and where is the "neg rep"....mua ha ha ha....:p

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some comments are meant to be private...that option is now gone during "repping".

24. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily in the correct order, apparently -- but it does sorta work. Thanks.

25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm going to be honest - I think of you as one of the good guys and it always bums me out when long time quality contributors get this bummed about what we are doing. For what it's worth, my apologies for the frustration.

I personally am change averse and sometimes think Huss is a change junkie, but I also think most of the time what he comes up with is better than I thought it would be, even if there are always growing pains. You may not have seen it - but lots of people were having problems with the old setup and we mods had lots of problems just performing basic functions. A mod recently spent 20 minutes trying to rescue a damaged thread and still couldn't fix the situation and it made him nuts, understandably. Something needed to be done.

My hope is that when the dust settles you'll hate the change a little less, but only time will tell I guess.

KensingtonSC and Huss repped this.