**Di Francesco & the Ghost of Zeman**

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on, I have issues with the transfer market but there is more than enough talent on this team to have beaten Chievo and Atalanta.

Moebek repped this.
  2. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It comes down more than just having the talent. Milan had more talent last season to finish better than 6th. But how the team was constructed ruined their chances. By the time they started to gel it was already too late.

I think it’s similar here. Too much turnover too quickly.

3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, fair point. I still think this team should still beat the likes of Chievo and Atalanta B. IMO, I would have kept Strootman and not signed N'Zonzi

4. Vini Vidi Vici

Italy
    May 21, 2013
    Tivoli / Fiesole / Anywhere Italy w turq water
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Simply need bigger players or a bigger manager. I don't know why the mentality pervades Roma fans that, there's never been lots of trophies here before, so why expect any? - top 3 is good enough - deep runs in the CL are good enough. But to that I scratch my head. Why the mentality of settling? Why not do a Dortmund? Or an Atletico? Or a damn Leicester or Monaco? I think, it's just excuses. Any team among the top mix should be aiming to be *the* best, otherwise the fans & players are shortchanged. This team, or at least the team that was, was built to win this season.

5. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A few wins, inc' the derby, and everyones mood will improve dramatically. On the other hand, things could go very south indeed for EdF in the next couple weeks.

6. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Wins aren’t enough. If we shithouse a 1-0 win over fcuking Bologna and Frosinone I won’t be any less worried. We need to see progression in the way we play.

Salmeen10 repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eusebio Di Francesco will most likely be gone tonight after the Bologna loss. If not tonight, then soon!

8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too lazy to dig it up, but I said when we hired Di Francesco, he's probably going to be put into a somewhat unfair position. It was clear a transition was on the horizon, and those transitions rarely go smoothly.

However I did not expect such a destructive transition like the one we've had this summer. And unfortunately we will likely lose I think what could be a future top coach, only after one season because of choices made by others.

This is such a train wreck of a team, we currently need someone who can work miracles until half a squads worth of players learn to play together. And a miracle worker EDF is not at this stage of his coaching career.

shiboboo repped this.
  9. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was mediocre last year but got saved by savvy vets and the emergence of Ünder at RW. He's not getting that support this year.

Back to a small club where any success is a pleasant surprise.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought it was because he beat Barcelona. Either way, I'd be surprised if he lasts out this month or next...

11. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Manolas has gotten full amnesty for the Barca game, even though he mailed in two seasons and still can't pass.

EDF stayed because of what he was able to accomplish despite never getting the squad fully gelled last season. It was and still is a very talented squad, though always flawed, but they're not executing anymore.

12. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  13. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said he was looking for another project

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On the Domenica sportive, they are talking about Conte, Montella or Ranieri….

15. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  16. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luciano got eliminated from CL by losing at home to Porto 3-0 and bitched all season long. Zero nostalgia for me.

Shen-O, hangthadj and TifosoRoma repped this.
  17. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Yes, I’m sure he told our players to choke and get 3 red cards over 2 legs. Grazie De Rossi, Vermaelen and Emerson.

He then proceeded to make 87 points, AKA the most in Roma history.

HeadBurn3r repped this.
  18. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
  19. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    EDF did what he was supposed to do last year. Get top four spot, and get as far as possible in CL. This year seems Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio will give us battle for top four spot the way we are ( considering inter, napoli, juve take top 3).I am not sure what can save this season. But the first major action to take is fire monchi, and then you decide on everything else when new guy is in place.
    I am not trusting Monchi picking a coach either, it was major ********up hiring Monchi. Admit the mistake now, before its too late.

LordNelson repped this.
  20. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I love Monty, the ex-Roma player, but c'mon, sacking EdF to bring in Monty, even short term, would be just plain silly. Monty isn't up to much as a manager. I think that has been made pretty clear at this stage. Not happening.

EdF is under real pressure now though. At a minimum we/he must beat Frosinone, not lose the derby and beat Plzen.

Ranieri is the name that came to mind. If we can forget about his infamous last game in charge.

21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, but in the process of pointlessly chasing Juve he ran our starters into the ground and we got bounced from the EL. I still feel that if Spalletti had managed the squad better we had a real chance to win the EL that year.

wm72 and hangthadj repped this.
  22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting to see the Paolo Sousa links, though I think it's mostly lazy Italian media pulling names out of a hat at this point.

23. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We set a club record for points and still won nothing. Neat.

We only beat Genoa, a team with nothing to play for, by the threads of Perotti's laceless boots to secure 2nd.

Shen-O and hangthadj repped this.
  24. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We have a very easy stretch of games, EDF can pull himself out of this hole. If he doesn’t, other than Conte I think P. Souza is the best choice. He has a strong character and can blend well in Rome.

shiboboo repped this.