Pre-match: Deutschland vs Polen (Tues, 20:45, ZDF)

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, May 8, 2014.

1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #26 MatthausSammer, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Watching the match now, and you can clearly see the potential in a lot of these youngsters to be something very impressive, but they simply lack the experience necessary to be able to understand instinctively what to do with the ball. Taking risks when they don't need to and refusing to do the same when they should. Anyways Löw's fetish for playing CBs at FB is frustrating beyond comprehension. Rüdiger is too slow to ever amount to anything there, Sorg is only there because of where he hails from, and Höwedes, just no.
    Agreed, Gïnter has whispers of Hummels with how composed he is on the ball.

Epitome990 repped this.
  2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany D, which is actually oddly enough more talented and mesh better than the lineup we trotted out for that sham.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't these guys pretty much all know each other from the U-21s though other than Meyer, ter Stegen, Zieler, and Höwedes?

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Another shot for Volland with proper support. Ginter is ready for the senior national team and a bigger club. What a stud.

5. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I dont think Volland played particularly well. Not enough service and he only hustled. But they said he has shown godo work-rate, off-the-ball movement and ability to play back-to-goal. But those arent crucial, as a frontman he has to score and more lethal in fornt of goal

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agree. The reason could be Poland B is not as good as USA A.

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Big problem is use of rigid 4-2-3-1 shape in which our "striker" becomes too isolated. It's not the ideal formation to play with a "false nine" because he doesn't have any support close to him. Our wing-forwards play back and on the flanks too much, and cut in rarely. That's because Löw has the negative-retention Bayern syndrome too. He'd rather not lose the ball at all costs so Volland was naturally isolated. As was Hahn. They can only contribute when they run back but then there is no presence up top.

Moving to a 4-3-3 would probably have made this experiment work a little more.

I just don't get the point of a 4-2-3-1 with a false nine.

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It's simply because Volland is never really a false 9. He played classic 9 for youth NTs and before the move to Hoffenheim for Munich 1860.

What seperates a False 9 to a classic 9 is mainly mobility, skill, physique and finishing.

Volland is a hybrid of a targetman (strong physique unlike Reus/Mueller/Schuerrle, Oezil) And false 9 (Agility and creativity). Maybe something in between.

But I agree, even Volland is not a classic "false 9" , 433 may suit him better

As a frontman, Volland is a better choice than all false 9s, as he has been used there at CF most of his career until he moved to Hoffenheim. Reus and Schuerrle have never been used as frontman so killer instinct and finishing inside the box has not been developed

Not to mention Volland is more physical and has been used as CF occasionally for Hoffenheim

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In context of the formation, Volland is a false nine because he is not the 9 the formation demands, that's what was meant.

10. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Reus/Mueller/Oezil/Goetze are false 9

Volland's game is in between a false 9 and a targetman. In terms of physique and strength, Volland is way ahead. And what makes Targetman different from False 9 is mainly physicality and finishing ability which Volland isn't an issue

For the system, a hybrid of false 9 n class 9 like Volland is better suited than Goetze/Oezil/Reus. Experience is another matter

12. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #37 Kirsten19, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    U seems to have completely misunderstand Volland's game. Its a lot different to Reus/Goetze/Oezil/Mueller playing up top. Volland has been used many times as a center foreard in his career, especially in his munich 1860 days and for our youth NTs

In terms of attributes and skill-set, how do u separate false 9s and targetmen?

I think false 9s are genrally more skilled, more creative, more agile and mobile, as they are mainly attacking midfielders playing up front;

targetmen are generally more physical, better finishers and can play back-to-goal/hold-up

So i think Volland is a hybrid in between. While he has the creativit/mobility/skill/agility of a false 9, he also have the physicality, finishing and ability to play back-to-goal and hold-up game (Loew mentioned it after the gamehttp://www.welt.de/sport/fussball/w...fliges-Debuet-und-ein-Praesent-fuer-Mama.html)

That makes him an ideal fit to the system in terms on skill-set. Well-rounded either than being particularly close to "false 9" or "classic 9"

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did I NOT JUST SAY "IN CONTEXT OF FORMATION"?

Then why would you compare his individual game to Reus' or the other players when it's inherent in the above statement that that wasn't the intent? Volland is not a classic 9 or mobile 9 like a Torres or Lewandoswki, players who are perfect fits for a 4-2-3-1. Volland is not. He isn't of the same ilk. He is more withdrawn. He might have some elements but he is NOT a similar type of striker. No matter how much you desire. He will always want to come back and drift wide, that's why he is played wide. Was Torres ever played wide? Was Lewandowski? Was Falcao? etc. No and that's because their skill set is concentrated to play as the focal point. Volland isn't. At least maybe not yet. He is a German forward who is flexible but a forward, not a striker. Like I said, in a 4-2-3-1 it's misguided to play him there as he will not give you what you need out of the formation. He would be better suited to a 4-3-3.

14. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I literally LOL. I wish the two of you had your conversations face-to-face, and I can just sit in the audience with popcorn. Two people saying the same things to each other over and over using different words each time.

15. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I should probably quit as it's a lost cause but I feel bad because he is just trying to get his voice heard and seems like he feels ignored.

16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Its more to do with a player's attributes than where he actually plays. Playing temporary out wide doesnt mean he isnt better off at CF

Sturridge played as a right winger back in the Chelsea days, but he insisted he is more of a center forward. He was used as winger ONLY because Drogba and Torres were on his way; competition made him a "winger" but he is actually better suited at CF

Cavani in PSG is another similar case, played right wingerm ost of the season as Ibrahimovic is the definite choice at CF;

And lets dont forget Lewandowski played A LOT of AM before his breakout season in 2011-2012 when he took advantage of Barrios' serious injury and eventually took over Barrios' starting CF spot. Before that Lewandowski was a AM. Not to mention his game, during a match he always shift wide

In Hoffenheim, Modeste is a relatively big name signing for them and he has been playing well. Volland can play all four positions in attack and hoffenheim have no quality wingers so he is used at right wing

Doesn't mean he can't play as a frontman tho. In a recent DFB conference, he said he is comfotable playing up top as he was used there all his career before moving to Hoffenheim and apparently in our Youth NTs.

Should really focus on a player's attirbute instead. Volland's physique and background as a striker separate him apart from False 9s like Ozil and Reus who have never realy been playing as striker regularly, Goetze in a certain extend since he hasnt played there for months, maybe 3-4 games a season. Volland's case is completely different, he is used as CF when Modeste was injured and maybe the 2nd choice CF for Hoffenheim, his physique is a lot stronger than the AMs we have, better finishing technique as well.

Should really do your homework and analyze better

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You haven't addressed a single point I made.

Or maybe understood them. And you're rude.

Volland is not a striker. A 4-2-3-1 needs a striker to function. Volland is not a striker. He is a versatile forward who can play upfront but needs those around him to be equally versatile and instructed to play more like inside forwards rather than wing forwards in a traditional 4-2-3-1 like Löw does with his team. Löw plays a traditional 4-2-3-1 because he built it around Klose for the most part. Volland is not Klose.

I hope this is a simple breakdown so you can understand finally.

18. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

The thing is, why isn't he a striker? He played well there when he is used as a CF for Hoffenheim and Hoffenheim didn't have inside forward on the flanks. Instead they used Salihovic and Elyounonese at the wings when Modeste isn't available. Volland also managed to score and provide good performances

Its more to do with a player's attributes than where he actually plays. Playing temporary out wide doesnt mean he isnt better off at CF

Sturridge (Chelsea days), Cavani(PSG), Lewandowski (season 2010-2011 he was used mainly as AM when Kagawa was heavily injured) are/were used as wingers but they also hv CF attributes that make them CFs

Doesn't mean Volland isn't a striker, only because he played half of his games at wing. In a recent DFB conference, he said he is comfotable playing up top as he was used there all his career before moving to Hoffenheim and apparently in our Youth NTs.

Should really focus on a player's attirbute instead. Volland's physique and background as a striker separate him apart from False 9s like Ozil and Reus who have never realy been playing as striker regularly, Goetze in a certain extend since he hasnt played there for months, maybe 3-4 games a season. Volland's case is completely different, he is used as CF when Modeste was injured and maybe the 2nd choice CF for Hoffenheim, his physique is a lot stronger than the AMs we have, better finishing technique as well.

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    When I say striker, I mean in the traditional sense. Like a Torres and Lewandowski. Don't think you can compare Hoffenheim's shape to Löw's. Totally different approach in final third. Hoffenheim will have at least two to three others playing of Volland if he starts at the top. The same doesn't apply to how Löw fields his 4-2-3-1.

It has to do with how optimally the tactics are instructed.

All totally different approaches from Löw as well.

Volland's all around game is more suited to be a forward and that's why the majority of his career has been away from being the "striker". It's just his composition. He is built to be suitable off others, even if he can play centrally. And since forwards are so important in today's game, it's natural to see how he is played there in favor of more productive goal scorers.

He isn't any more qualified to play the "striker" role than Reus.

20. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #45 Kirsten19, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

Sturridge was a right winger in Chelsea days when Drogba and Torres were the preferred option at Cf; Cavani has been used as right winger in PSG because Ibrahimovic was obvious choice; Lewandowski also started his career as an AM

Yes, maybe they are under different situation than Volland but I paid attention to Volland's game and attributes. Can be a Suarez/Aguero type. Can't say those can't play CF

Hoffenheim used Salihovic (more of an advanced playmaker) and Elyounounese(classic winger) on wing. Loew used Mueller and Reus who are inside forwards. I see the differences.

BUT like Loew said in an interview post Poland's game http://m.welt.de/sport/fussball/wm-...fliges-Debuet-und-ein-Praesent-fuer-Mama.html he

Loew sees Volland's attributes in playing back-to-goal and hold-up game. His strong physique is what make him different to our wingers playing up top as false 9s

And apparently our youth NTs are playing a similar system as Loews, they also used Volland as striker in half of the games played. Better example will be our U21 game VS Ireland U21

Having an allround game doesn't mean he is an AM or can't play as striker. Volland is used as striker in different systems. 1860, youth Nts or Hoffenheim he had been used as Center forward . So I can't see he is only a false 9 and not a striker. I think he is somewhere in between given the superior physique. Volland can pretty much provide Everything you want in a traditional 9, just being 2 inches shorter

That's the point u have been misunderstood

What separates a false 9 and a striker is physique, positioning, hold-up game and finishing. Volland has all these attributes, while Reus' has weaker physique (Volland is 82kg, a lot heavier than Reus) and Volland has proven at times that he can play back-to-goal and has great hold-up game which Reus has proven nothing

Positioning is also another question mark. While Volland has been used so many times up top for the youth Nts or Hoffenheim, Reus has never been used as a frontman . Reus as a false 9 also required a targetman like Hanke as complement. Volland can easy be the frontman on his own.

Reus is more comfortable playing outside the box and drift in. Volland can play inside the box and score off-dribble as the frontman when he ist educated to play centrally . Positioning inside the box is another factor where seperate Volland from Reus.

Hoffenheim coach Gisdol also said there isn't many players who can play wing and striker equally well. Volland is one.