Dempsey: Fulham v. Bolton, 4/27 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by iad_22201, Apr 27, 2011.

1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    have you kept up at all with Portsmouth in the last couple years?

2. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I think Dempsey should stay at Fulham. The positions which Dempsey plays at big clubs are rarely the territory of late 20 somethings within an earshot of 30 that have no established relationship with the club. Attacking wide and forwards at the big clubs are for young, fast protoges that are being brought up for the long haul at big 4 clubs. Generally, a guy like Dempsey ends up being cover at a big 4 team. Of course, he could defy the odds, but I don't know if the risk is worth it.

Champions league silverware is a pretty lofty goal at this point in his career. But then again, that's one of the downsides of European football...you put all this time and effort into your career and unless you're in the top four, silverware is an incredibly rare occurrence. I can imagine that can get to a guy like Dempsey who is super competitive...I'm reminded of his reaction after losing the confed cup final. It's quite likely that if he stays at Fulham, his career will pretty much stay just like it has...mid-to-low table finishes with no silverware; albeit with the upside of great personal accolades.

So, I don't blame him, but the more pragmatic side of me tells me he should stay and enjoy the amazing thing he has going.

Great game for him. Amazing season.

Loved the first goal.

3. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Doubt it, he's got two more seasons on his contract and already receives £40K per week.

4. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the best ever goal tally in a season for a YA in the EPL?

5. Winds350

Winds350 Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, he had already set that mark at 10. But Roy Wegerle had 18 for QPR in the first division (then the top division) in 90-91. Kind of like the top Fulham scorer in the EPL. I can't find the breakdowns by year, but I would think Johnny Haynes and Graham Leggatt would have had more than 33 during the time Fulham was in the first division in the 60's.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Have we figured out how Fulham have stayed afloat with the hoser Hughes at the helm and how Demps manages to get playing time since Hodg has left?

And both those goals were really nice, esp the 1st. I love the kind of kick, it just feels great to hammer it like that - all leg whip.

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Has he really been playing predominately in midfield? Not in the matches that I watched. He might be listed as a midfielder, but he played more as a withdrawn forward.

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    True, my mistake. Still impressive as hell considering who is surrounding him. The majority of goals he scores are self-created which makes it even nicer.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He played as a striker early on due to injuries, but he's been playing predominantly as a midfielder now.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
  11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint's pretty settled in at Fulham. I can't see him going to some grimy northern industrial city for a few more quid. He could be an asset to Arsenal, but won't happen.

Juventus makes the most sense to me.
    But again, most likely he stays in west London.

12. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Clint. Some have made some hay about the fact that the Premiership, per se, has only been around for 20 years. So somehow, being Fulham's leading scorer over that period isn't a big deal. Even conceding that point, the two people Clint passed to take the honor are absolute legends at FFC....one they even named the Craven Cottage bar after! (Though I guess they aren't too fussy with the honors over there, what with the Michael Jackson statue:)

13. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    And you also factored into your figuring Clint's better quality teammates in that scenario?

Who would be feedng Clint easier strikes to hit than he gets at Fulham?

Meaning, he would take fewer shots and score more goals if at a top club.

Agreed, not hard to figure out.

14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham are likely headed back to Europe next year, so I wouldn't move anywhere where I wasn't guaranteed CL footy. And if he does move somewhere that has guaranteed CL footy, he'll be battling for PT. I mean, in the Prem, ManU has Rooney, Berbatov, Chicarito, Nani, Valencia, and Giggs; Arsenal have RVP, Bendtner (sp?) Fabergas, Nasri, and Walcott; Liverpool have Carroll, Suarez, Kuyt, and Gerrard; Spurs have Crouch, DaFoe, Lennon, Bale, Modric, and Pienaar. Those are pretty crowded teams.

Moving to Italy or Germany wouldn't be smart. And unless you go to Milan, Inter, or FC Hollywood, CL isn't guaranteed there. No way he can play for Barca or Real. Maybe Villarreal or Sevilla. Atletico? Madrid for London would be OK, no way I'd trade London for Villarreal.

15. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you somewhat, but how do you score when you're not on the field?

16. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Those are all good players but Clint's ahead of most of them, this season, in only metric that matters ultimately - goals scored. With far less illustrious teammates to work with.

Anyway, I'm sure Clint wouldn't get the same amount of playing time as at Fulham, at teams that platoon eg the likes of Rooney, Berbatov, and Chicharito.

But at age 28 a few days off now and then prolongs the career and keeps you healthy.

But anyway, agreed most likely Clint stays at Fulham as a big star in a smaller pond. The alternative of aiming for situation where he is more of a medium to small star in more shark-infested/higher expectation pond, may not be his preference.

But saying he couldn't step up to that level...you did see that goal against Bolton right? That's a CL skill-level strike.

17. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey isn't even close to the top all-time goal scorer for Fulham. He has 33 goals; the guy at #7 has over a hundred. He's only the top for their time in the prem, which covers the last 10 years or so. Johnny Haynes is at #2 with 156 in what was then the top league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fulham_F.C._records_and_statistics

I love the guy just the same though...

18. Winds350

Winds350 Member

Sep 10, 2005

Not quite. Haynes played for Fulham at several league levels, not just the top division. Rich actually posted the answer on CCNR. It was Leggat with 106 first division goals.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/fulhams-top-division-goals-record/

The top scorer for the club, Gordon Davies, never played with Fulham in the top division.

19. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected. I just wanted to bring it up since I thought the whole 'highest goal tally ever' thing was way overblown. He's great, but pretty far from the greatest (so far!)

20. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqNw9ZYuvzM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqNw9ZYuvzM[/ame]

Never saw this advert before

[​IMG]