Dempsey: Fulham v. Bolton, 4/27 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by iad_22201, Apr 27, 2011.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep it's always a risk. But I see no reason for Dempsey to move anywhere outside of immediate Champions League football.

He's already getting paid.

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent performance from Fulham. They've been playing some really nice attacking soccer over the past few months. Really makes you wonder what could have been had Hughes been hired a month sooner and if they would have had a bit better luck on the injury front. Clint is MOTM, but there were many other standout performances from players in Fulham shirts. I'm really looking forward to next season (a season which might very well involve another European tour).

3. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upfront, I'll say that I think he should stay at Fulham (and just make them pay him more money), as long as he has a relegation escape clause. But this is his job, so I'd support him going elsewhere to get a fatter paycheck.

My point above is exactly what the other posters are seeing-- you can't just take "Fulham Clint" and drop him into the middle of Arsenal's line up and expect him to recreate his success. I think he could be a good player for a lot of different (and better) clubs in the Prem, but I doubt he'd be a top-10 Premiership goal scorer. He just needs too many shots to get to that level. He took a lot of shots for the Revolution as well-- he's not terribly efficient. On a more talented side, there's more competition for those shots. At Fulham, he's more the top dog.

4. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, hypothetically, who is Clint going to surpass at these top 4 clubs to where he's going to get all these shots? The suggestion is simplistic but it's also common sense. I agree with you there could be a million differences, but he's not battling the likes of Gera and Davies at Arsenal or Liverpool.

5. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Exactly.

6. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Clint for a well-earned mark as top Fulham scorer ever.

Truly amazing, showing that if you couple your opportunity with working your a$$ off, good things will happen.

To put into perspective, when I hear people talk about Messi, they always mention his tireless work ethic along with his talent. In my view, that encapsulates what it means to be "World Class".

Talent must be there, but the hard work and consistency is what impresses me the most about Deuce.

In my opinion this makes it official, he is the most accomplished field player the US has ever had. I'll take this up on the USA boards too.

7. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its hard to say, but the top 4 clubs typically have more possession and generally have more shots than the other EPL teams. Some of the top goal scorers for the big 4 would struggle to get close to their scoring marks, if they played for a mid table club.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just cant see dempsey anywhere else but fulham, how can you not enjoy this. hes top dog at a mid table EPL club that depends on him, where hes a leader.

if it was a big english club, Man City would do well to stop throwing their money at crap like Balotelli. I know Clint could get much better results if played top with Tevez.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    getting paid 1/5th of what he is worth.

In my opinion, Clint Dempsey, pound for pound (pun intended) has been the EPL's best value for money in the last 6 years.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Darn it, didn't even realize Fulham were playing today until after the fact.

And yeah, that first goal was sick.

11. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed

12. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this statement as well. Didn't Fulham pay $4mm for him? $4mm for a top-ten league scorer and all-time leading scorer still in his mid/late twenties? That's money well spent. How much did they pay for EJ-- $6mm? MLS got robbed on one of those, but got their revenge on the other. :D

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Fulham have two of the biggest bargains in the league on their books (and they're both Texans). Hangeland also cost roughly $4 million.

14. FirstStar

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think one UK publication (the Guardian maybe?) listed Hangeland as the "buy of the season" that year. He's been instrumental in solidifying their defense.

15. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if that rumored Bayer Leverkusen link was real from the summer, I wish he would go there.

16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    He also takes a lot of shots because the focus of the attack for Fulham for the most part. He knows he needs to score a decent amount so maybe takes some more speculative chances that he wouldn't take on a bigger side.

17. CTREVS

CTREVS Member

New England Revolution
    Apr 18, 2002
    Hamden
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Clint. He's my favorite player. I remember watching him at the Revs and I was living in Argentina during the 06 WC. I remember telling my foreign friends about him and him not letting me down with his performance at the tournament (even if the team overall did) That said I don't think he'd get regular playing time with any of the English teams in next years champions' league.

He might be able to get regular time at an Everton or a Villa or a Newcastle but not at the two Manchester sides, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs. Look at someone like Benayoun or a Shaun Wright Phillips. It's easy for a star at a smaller club to get lost with the big boys.

If he wanted Champ's league football I'd honestly say going to one of the Old Firm would be his best bet. I think he could def start over there and probably score 20 plus goals against the SPL level of competition while getting to play in the Champion's league.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    For those interested, he is now tied with Chicharito, Van der Vaart and Kevin Nolan in 8th place in the league's top scorers...some very nice company he's keeping, especially from predominately playing midfield. He is ahead of names like Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Gyan, Nani, and Nasri.

19. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    why in the world would Clint Dempsey go to Scotland?

and comparing him to 2 players who are technically so different from him- smallish players that rely on quickness and flashs of strong technique....totally different players. Clint is an absolutely poacher in the box and strong + strong in the air...totally, totally different from the 2 players mentioned.

Also- it is just assinine to doubt Dempsey at this point. He could literally play almost anywhere. Chelsea is definitely a club he is capable of playing at, but I don't think he ever will. They have starters like Lampard that are not particularly fast, and certainly skilled in many ways, but less worldly in others...yet, true stars in their system.
    Clint would score a lot of goals bombing in the box for a side like Chelsea

Spurs too good for Clint? pfffff

Arsenal could desperately use a player like Clint, strong enough technique but not a wuss. Wenger is a great coach, but so enamored with getting players in the top 1% of skilll but questionable leadership + heart vs. a guy like Clint who could hang and even excel in their system, but may be slightly below the overall technical level. Dempsey is exactly what Arsene needs, but he'll take the pretty ball, young footballers (and never win a title) the rest of his days.

Maybe, MAYBE a side like Barcelona is a bit to ticky-tack, or Man U an extreme speed side....but outside of those clubs- he has the skill level to play anywhere. Anywhere. Especially on any Italian side. But just keep doubting him. He seems to thrive on it. Just like getting subbed off last game pissed him off.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    you guys are funny. The pattern should be clear: either the manager or the owner has an infatuation with a player and brings him in.

If the manager does, then he is good to go as long as he doesnt stink it up and the manager doesnt get fired. If he gets fired, it can go the way of getting benched 4 times. If the owner brings him in it can go the way of never seeing the pitch at all.

His best bet was going to 'Pool to play for hodgs. Or somewhere if Moyes gets bank and control.

Absent of that, remote chance Henry picks him up at pool. Remote chance Moyes picks him up at Everton and beyond and very, very remote chance Milan or Inter pick him up given his good press in Italy.

Otherwise he will decline offers from West Brom and Portsmouth all day, hold-up at Fulham and pray at 33 he gets picked up at super sub by CL team looking for something extra.

21. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Personally, I believe Dempsey messed up with this whole "Deuce" persona. It works too effectively. He should have been nicknamed "Tres" or "Tripel". Maybe even "Golden Ale".

22. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    West Brom and Portsmouth? what are you smokin'?

23. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    those were examples of the types of teams that might be asking Fulham for his services at a higher salary that he will naturally decline.

24. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deuces wild! Loved that first goal. Superb game from Clint.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Fulham must be definitely preparing to offer him a huge wage increase.