PBP: Dempsey: Europa Cup Final; Fulham vs Atletico Madrid 05/12/10

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by jcsd, May 11, 2010.

1. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Confirmed lineups, Dempsey on bench as expected.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Gera, Zamora, Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff, Konchesky, Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Schwarzer[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Zuberbuhler, Pantsil, Greening, Dikgacoi, Riise, Dempsey, Nevland

2. FC Funkotron

FC Funkotron Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Austin, El Paso, New York
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe not a brace then...but the winning goal for sure.

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise, but very disappointing.

4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Aguero, Forlan, Simao, Raul Garcia, Paulo Assuncao, Reyes, Antonio Lopez, Alvaro Dominguez, Perea, Ujfalusi, De Gea[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Robles, Valera, Camacho, Jurado, Salvio, Juanito, Cabrera

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atletico lineup:
    [lineup-4-4-2]Aguero,Forlan,Simao,Raul Garcia, Paulo Assuncao, Reyes,Lopez, Dominguez, Perea,Ujfalusi,De Gea[/lineup-4-4-2]

You can also watch live on UEFA.com for $10.

6. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Pat Nevin rates Dempsey's goal as the best of the tournament

7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for mentioning the UEFA website. The Europa Cup Final is worth $10.

8. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Presumably Dempsey comes in if Fulham are behind are tied. But if Fulham are ahead, does Dempsey stay on the bench? I think so, particularly given the possibility of an extra 30 + mins

9. Jordan21

Jordan21 Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Alabama
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me hopes so...I'm tired of this not starting crap... he's too good for that.

10. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    If Clint has what he considers "better" options this summer, I hope he doesn't feel bad about pushing for a transfer. He owes Fulham nothing at this point and I hope he's as tired as many of us are about having to prove himself time and time again.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I wouldn't start him either, and that's got nothing to do with his quality, but rather the dynamics of the side since he's come back from injury

12. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Did you watch the Hamburg game?

It's certainly Fulham's prerogative not to start him, as it is his to push for a transfer.

13. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Na...Atletico is an attacking side with lots of flair, and you need a player who can match that style tit for tat...enter Clint Dempsey.
    I like Davies and he is quality, but I think Dempsey is a much better match for a Spanish opponent...Davies at RB would have been interesting.

On the flip side, who would come in off the bench if Fulham need a spark?

14. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    However the game's going I think Dempsey will be on, from what I hear Zamora is not ready for 90 mins yet.

15. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Davies at RB is a non-starter for me, they need a defender in that postion.

Football is a team game, expect Hodgson to start the team that's best for Fulham, not the team that's best for Dempsey.

16. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And some (including myself) would argue that Fulham's best team would feature Dempsey instead of Davies.

With that being said, Roy is going with the starting lineup that has had success in the last few Europa matches.

17. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    That's all fine and well, but I think all of us would like a Dempsey who's riding into the World Cup with unquestioned confidence. I don't know if this super-sub stuff is providing that. I want a Clint Dempsey who will hit the field knowing he is The Frikking Man ... not constantly worrying about having to prove himself from the ground up, over and over and over.

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Absolutely. Hodgson does not change his starting XI if his team is performing. Only in cases of abysmal form like Gera during fall 08 will he change his squad if injuries aren't an issue.

19. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, lets have our one attacking player in Europe who gets regular time move clubs to an uncertain situation (where contrary to other people's opinion he will have to prove him self all over again). Why on earth would Roy change things around when this line up has gotten them to the Europa finals?

People need to relax, he was a starter and got injured. Davies came back from injury and has played well and the results in Europa have been good, so why would they change it especially with the concerns over Zamora at this moment? If you are Hodgson, do you want to have a fresh Dempsey to come on to be a threat for opposing defenses or a Dempsey that has busted his ass on the flank for 65 minutes get switched up top? It makes no sense for him to start tonight.

I don't get this board sometimes, one of our best players is in a very good situation and has gotten plenty of time down the stretch, but yet its not good enough.

Come on you Whites!!!!

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    From the BBC Matchtracker:

From Kish, via text:
    "My mate Jacob who is a Fulham fan is on a year abroad from Uni in Australia and has spent his whole student loan on flights to Hamburg to go to the game. Legend."

Agreed.

21. JAVez1983

JAVez1983 Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Tampa
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the first time Fulham will be facing forwards of Forlans and Agueros quality in the Europa League, or even in 90% of their EPL matches. They need to match that style and expose AM's backline as much as possible. CD is a team player and has matched well with the current lineup at LM very well...
    Davies at RB was just a thought, but I do rate Baird as well..,

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He should bust out a watch point/crotch grab if he scores as a sub.

Winners may be remembered, but Mathis-style legends never die.

23. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    It's a shame Dempsey isn't starting, he's been as much a part of this Fulham team as anyone, but Dempsey for Davies is not like-for-like. Davies has a lot more width than Dempsey, if you use Dempsey instead you have to change the way the team plays.

24. Bonz

Bonz New Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Western NY
    ^^^This. I think Roy wants to see how much he can get out of Zamora before having to take him off. Can't bring Bobby in as a sub b/c if he's forced to come out, you've then wasted a sub. This way, Demps is waiting in the wings as a super-sub ready to come on, be it 20 min., halftime, or 70 min. into the game.

There is no possible way that Clint stays on the bench for the duration of this one, especially with the possibility of extra time. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

25. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Or we could have him play it safe, show no ambition 4 years before the next World Cup and accept being on a mid-table Fulham club (with 1 anomalous cup run). Sounds like a great idea. Maybe he should have just stayed with the Revs, lest he arrive in England and not get a chance to play.

He'll be wanted. La Gazetta had him on their mid-season best XI in the Premier league. If someone is willing to pay for his services, he should do as he pleases and not feel a sense of loyalty to Fulham.