Democrats In The Wilderness

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I know that it wasn't the actual plan, but it's paid off brilliantly for Republicans to slash education budgets, therefore making the population so naive and gullible that they'll believe whatever you tell them. Lie to 'em, get 'em riled up, get 'em to the voting booth. It's a brilliant strategy. I'd doff my cap to them, but nah. F*ck 'em.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    #2202 Timon19, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Well, that's interesting, since the system that produces good little compliant cogs meant to work long hours unquestioningly in the factories was brought to the US by proto-Progressives enamored with the long-since-discredited Prussian model on which it was based...

I really didn't have a good wrap for that, just thought it was rather...curious to be blaming one or the other side for an education model that clearly doesn't work and that nearly every other civilized country has given up on, and for which we've been doubling down on a decade basis for the last 40 years or so.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let the Germans hear you say that.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Even they've moved on to something with more sense.

5. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    But there are progressives who have been advocating for change to education, but it all starts with funding, and it all starts at the local levels where Republicans have been killing it. Education Boards have been stacked with Republicans for quite a while.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Everything always starts (and ends) with throwing cash at shit with progs.

We've been throwing cash at compulsory education at a federal level FOREVER, with zero results. Something different needs to happen. Experimentation should be one of those, something most progs seem to be dead-set against.

7. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Like what?

sitruc repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    A range of education models could be tested. I don't particularly care which, as long as it's effective for whomever is undergoing the education, and we stop setting tremendous mounds of cash on fire.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #bothsidesdoit

To be fair, Most celebrities that actually won have been Republicans right? Democrats mostly flirt with the idea, but they do not marry the idea.

BTW the California conservatives next hope.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/9/inside-the-beltway-james-woods-next-california-gov/

10. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    OK, like what? Do you know what money allocated for education goes to? Are you aware of how it's spent? How could it be spent differently? What about private schools? Are they good?

sitruc repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Like whatever people come up with that produces educated human beings.

Administrators, increasingly.

Poorly, given results.

By not trying to federalize the shit out of it.

Some are, some aren't.

12. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oprah as a candidate for President? No... Just no... Like a funhouse mirror version of Trump except a Democrat and not as openly jerkish.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    If she doesn't bomb a bunch of people, that's a really big plus. Not even Obama could avoid that, though.

Moishe repped this.
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Democrats can do worse than the true "big O"

BTW, yes I would prefer she did not run.

Shit, when was the last time this happened, the 30's?

sitruc repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Further.

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't trust Oprah, or really anyone short of Ron Paul, to take on the military-industrial complex like that.

17. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Good stuff as always by Dems

951504873631158273 is not a valid tweet id

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well just like Trump, the JSW on the interwebs are confused, the vote today was to spy outside the USA.

Then again when the domestic section comes up, I think most dems will vote in favor.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    My goodness, you can be fantastically naive sometimes. Or were you just reading from the establishment songsheet they finally got around to passing out later in the day (there were several posts in close proximity on Ars Technica saying the same pathetic shit a couple of hours ago)

20. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    What do you expect, he reads The Economist..

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, I did miss that part.

I guess I am the one that was confused like the President.

22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    IMG_7589.JPG

totti fan repped this.
  23. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
  24. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Mark Keam, Democrat (guy holding tablet) is a former registered lobbyist for Verizon. Real man of the people.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I see your Man of the People, and raise you Three Graduates of the Same Local Prep School and DCCC meddling .....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/...ight-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

The Texas 7th, representated by a Republican who makes Tom DeLay look like Barney Frank since 2001, but ...

But in 2016, Hillary Clinton carried the district by a smidgen, and local Democrats saw an opening. Now seven of them are on the ballot in the election next Tuesday for the party’s nomination — and the chance to oppose Mr. Culberson in November and, possibly, help turn the House blue. Politico listed the contest as one of the top 10 to watch this year.

Alright, good, we should be good to go...

Unfortunately, the race has also exposed the self-immolative tendencies of the party out of power. Exhibit A is the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which last week decided to attack a candidate in the race. Another Democrat. And a woman. In District 7.

Let me try to explain, since the D.C.C.C. did not respond to phone calls or emails. On the ground, this race looked tough from the beginning, though not for obvious reasons. Three of the strongest candidates — Alex Triantaphyllis, Lizzie Pannill Fletcher and Laura Moser — all went to the same fancy private school, which meant that many well-heeled Houstonians had to go through the social agony of choosing one over the other two or giving to all three.

To make matters worse, the ideological differences among these three — and the other four candidates — are microscopic. And what’s more, they are all white. As time went on, Mr. Triantaphyllis, a Harvard Law School graduate and a consultant who left a big firm to work for a popular nonprofit, won the hearts and minds of the downtown powers — the liberal ones, that is — while Ms. Fletcher, a corporate litigator and Planned Parenthood bigwig, got the most backing from Hillary Clinton loyalists. She was thought (by them) to have the best chance of appealing to Republican women who had had enough of President Trump.

Note to the D.C.C.C.: Next time you think about sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong, try believing in the democratic process instead.

No way. Can't do that.

Boandlkramer repped this.