Democrats In The Wilderness

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we'd have an infrastructure plan to stimulate the economy if the Democrats were in charge. Maybe improving health care instead of causing premium hikes with the uncertainty and sabotage. Can't wait till we see the Republican's idea of tax reform, and what it will do to the economy.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Good one!

Boneheaded countercyclical spending-for-spending's-sake coupled with insane Fed policy which has resulted in negative and near-negative interest rates for entirely too long has given us a colossally out of whack money supply and near-Japanese levels of sluggishness. If the dollar weren't the world's reserve currency, we'd probably BE Abe's Japan, whose "Lost Decade" is nearing a quarter century.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This is the conclusion you came to after observing the poster's history.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He actually claims to be on the left, not the right. But his posting history gives the appearance of being one of those Trump supporters who've taken to the internet posing as a Bernie Bro. Claiming to be Australian adds to the perception that Geneva (and Deadtigers, etc.) aren't going to get much out of him regarding Trump. He's mostly here to rip on Clinton, which is kinda pointless in August, 2017 (at least until she takes to twitter and says something she should've said ten months ago)

sitruc repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is that a question or a statement?

6. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Berniecrats are going to continue to call out corrupt corporate Democrats until the DNC and the Clintonistas figure out that they need to put their faith in a progressive not wedded to corporate donations. Progressives won't budge. Either get on board or get used to losing.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a progressive.

8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I call him Macedonian Frank for a reason!

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #1934 Deadtigers, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    @Boandlkramer Do you really not realize how tone deaf these attacks on Harris make the progressive movement look? Neither her, nor Booker nor Patrick have begun to run. McAulife is looking very presidential right now following his handling of things in Va. The progressive have not come after him.

Bernie won Millienals across the board but lost those Millienals parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents. This goes triple for minorities, so why would it make sense to attack those 3. All it does is underline the fact that Progressives would sacrifice civil rights and social justice for economic justice. Free college, better paying jobs and affordable housing is far more important than blacks being discriminated from going to college, applying for jobs or housing or gays being able to marry. Perception is reality and this no one is good enough but our person and we will smear the duck out of icons in minority communities and let Trump win, if it means we can have our moral superiority does no one any good.

Geneva, ElJefe and sitruc repped this.
  10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Economic justice is pretty important, not sure you can have the social justice without it. You speak of moral superiority with disdain for the other side and yet you cling to your position for moral reasons.

Whether a transgender person can use the bathroom of their choice is of bigger concern than the working poor (probably inordinate amount of whom are minorities). How tone deaf does that make that side?

totti fan and Boandlkramer repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Erm... Swing and a miss!
    If you see my previous post, I mention the Dems have to be the party of Social, Civil and economic justice. They can co-exist. It is not about moral superiority for me. It is about the fact that you can't make a difference unless you win and are in power. People who claim economic justice, social justice and or civil justice was important failed to show up and vote for the person that would give them the closest of what the want. They either rationalized that there was no difference or what they would get wasn't good enough. My position is not moral, you see my point about winning and attacking our own for no purpose. Like Geneva said why are we attacking Harris who hasn't even begun to look at running? So what do you consider talking strategy because you missed my point bigly!!

Also that transgender bathroom thing I was fine with because the GOP baited the Dems into that fight. It is tricky to avoid that stuff because Dems must stand against discrimination, so
    they had to take that hit. However as Dems do they sucked at messaging and controlling the narrative. They really need to hire Frank Lutz or someone else who has experience with the marketing that the GOP use. They are the party of rural homogeneous America, we must be comfortable being the voice of urban diverse America.

Geneva repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you trust Democrats funded by corporate donations to be genuinely representative of progressive values?

Boandlkramer repped this.
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boloni86 repped this.
  14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Some seem to think the trick is to explain Democratic ideas more slowly and loudly."

That won't come across as condescending at all. [emoji106]

"It is right to campaign for a minimum wage, a politician said, “but I don’t know a single person that wants to earn a minimum wage.” Free college is a crowd-pleaser, but Democrats also need to win back factory towns where a skilled trade, not a university degree, is a cherished path to success."

Free College/trade-school, starting with folks in floundering industries?

"Rather than stress ways to redistribute wealth, Third Way wants Democrats to offer an “opportunity to earn a good life”—a phrase intended to capture the central promise of American capitalism, in which a good life is made open to all, but must be earned."

Define "good life?" Not having to pay for healthcare (Single payer) would be quite a load off many people's shoulders

The overall gist is of a centrist flavor...more of the same. At least throw a bone, overtly campaign on Universal HC...remove that burden, and the rest I can overlook...for now.

totti fan repped this.
  15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "Third Way wants Democrats to offer an “opportunity to earn a good life”—a phrase intended to capture the central promise of American capitalism, in which a good life is made open to all, but must be earned."

How? Beyond the existing status quo policies that have consistently failed to deliver, how do third way Dems plan to restore the American middle class? What do they have to offer from an economic perspective that differentiates them from Repubs?

Progressives have Stephanie Kelton....

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not happy with the influence of big money, corporate or otherwise, on our elections. I am not willing to cede all the money to the Republicans and hope to luck or to "alternative" fund-raising to keep Democrats pure.

I didn't buy that Hillary Clinton's work as a Senator or in the state department was influenced by campaign contributors or, even more ridiculously, speaking fees. All evidence showed she worked within the system but worked for the good of the people, and would continue to do that. Smearing her because of the way our politics work was really short-sighted and helped get us a madman leader.

Campaign finance reform is needed, repealing Citizens United through legislation is needed. I know which party will be more likely to do that. Republicans make no pretense about whose tax money they desperately want to save and whose votes they want to suppress, at the expense of the middle class, our health care, and our environment.

Oh, and pure Bernie who can raise all his money $27 at a time? A myth, #1, and #2, he refuses to share his email list with Democrats, so he's useless for mass fund-raising, except for his own benefit. And PS, where are his tax returns?

Deadtigers and song219 repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I love this pairing of concepts so much, because it exposes the lie that people are serious about "getting the money out. After all MY candidate is immune to such things."

And naturally, you don't buy that Hillary was, essentially, a Saudi tool, even though she pursued policies and alliances that furthered their aims (this is not to say that most of the political establishment wouldn't have done the same, but that's not so much the point).

totti fan repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm pretty sure, Francesco, that we don't agree much beyond this, particularly as it concerns what to do about money in politics.

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of lies, narratives like "Hillary was a Saudi tool" is how we got where we are today, with an amoral ignorant ass for President. And if you're not horrified you're not paying attention. These discussions are getting us nowhere so I'll be bowing out now.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You seem to think I'm happy about Trump or something.

Hillary isn't the only one who is/was a Saudi tool (that would be most of the neocon right and a significant portion of the mainstream left), but that she was one is sort of obvious, what with all the money coming from there and the arms going the other way.

Moishe repped this.
  21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Macedonian Frank lives in a world of theory.

@Boandlkramer you do realize that the party tent is huge, right? I want single payer too but I have longed believed that the nation had to want it, the call is louder but not there. The Dems have a small window to make a difference, I would bet the house on infrastructure and the jobs It provides, sell that and then single payer is possible because you have capitol.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas Latinos are more Republican than the national average, maybe that is why.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I am sure they could if they survive the primary.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/women-could-beat-trump-2020-192647999.html

25. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really hope a Democrat beats Trump, but can't we just elect the best candidate with the best policies, irrespective of Gender/Race/Religion/Orientation etc, and not anoint someone just to break glass ceilings?

stanger, Boloni86 and totti fan repped this.