Democrats In The Wilderness

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much regulation.

Tokyo has 35 million people.

Hong Kong and Singapore pack a lot of people in little space.

There is a way, there may be little will.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we can start importing food because all our people live in cities.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today what 2% of the population is categorized as farmers, there is always going to be people living outside cities, the farms will be bigger (many already are huge).

Removing small towns from the countryside (even suburbia if we build up) could allow more land to be farmed.

Obviously this should be voluntary with economic incentives and removing barriers to do so, like density laws, NIMBY laws, ect. It should not be some big government mandate.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Ran across this ...

It didn't surprise me. It's what I figured. But I've never seen actual numbers on this until now:
    https://cas.uab.edu/humanrights/2017/11/14/unprecedented-2016-presidential-election-event-recap/

Fcuking Sanders voting shits!

sitruc repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Deadtigers repped this.
  6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Excuse me, conventional wisdom is that third part votes tend to help the Democrat get elected. I might have actually voted for Sanders over Trump despite the fact Sanders is the exact opposite of everything I believe in. Unfortunately you guys served up Hillary Clinton, and that was never going to happen.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I travel quite a bit through rural Towns and I can say with a bit of authority your idea is pretty moronic.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Beyond stupid.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Nope.

Yup.

sitruc repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The strange thing was the Democratic primaries were nice, while the Republican primaries were nasty. Bernie and Hillary never said "My opponent is lying thieving stupid trash." The Republicans said that about each other nonstop.

Then -- and here is where the deep irony comes in -- the general election started and the Republicans fell into line, because they didn't believe what they were saying. It was rhetoric bullshit. But they got the Bernie/Jill voters to listen to them. Crooked Hillary, Email Hillary, FBI investigated Hillary ... those memes all came from the right.

So, Republicans knew that other Republicans were full of it, and promptly paid the right-wing insults no attention once the election started for real. but Bernie/Jill voters didn't figure that out. They earnestly ate what they were fed.

sitruc repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    From ********ing LaPage to W, you are full of shit. You can't even back it up so you ********ing lie and say conventional wisdom. He posed facts you posed feelings. GTFO!!!

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I am a convert to the article that shall never be rediscovered thanks to Bigsoccer crap search functionality

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What is there to lie about? I was pretty transparent that I voted for Gary Johnson. Had the GOP nominated a rational person I might have voted for him. There was no way I was ever going to vote for Hillary Clinton, although there was a time I voted for Bubba, twice.

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The lie is your conventional wisdom bullshite!! State for me, I voted Johnson, not conventional wisdom is 3rd party candidates help Dems because there is no evidence of that. You.Are.Making.It Up

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Lying about what, dipshit? Ross Perot got Bill Clinton elected. And I voted for Bill Clinton.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    #2942 Knave, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    You can always buy her book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319619756

Another synopsis: https://www.palgrave.com/gp/campaig...s-international-studies/rachel-bitecofer-blog

Sanders votes were irresponsible little shits who delivered this country into the hands of Trump.

So, let's review:

Nader and his idiot band of special snowflake voters are responsible for Gore's loss in 2000.

And Sanders and his idiot band of special snowflake voters are responsible for Clinton's loss in 2016.

Over the last 20 years the special snowflake left has proven itself a danger to this country.

superdave repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    But wait, does this mean voting for an L is no longer a slam-dunk GOP helper? Or is this lack of evidence one-way only?

19. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    For me, most Libertarian voters wouldn't vote Republican if a Libertarian weren't running. They would just sit it out. They have the chance to vote Democrat, but they won't. Voting any third party at all only hurts Democratic candidates.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm sure Deadtigers will be along shortly to lecture you about evidence. Any minute now.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many libertarians agree more with Republicans than democrats.

I am not sure about the breakdown but a good segment would not vote another segment would vote republican and I am sure some would vote democrat.

There are studies that do say if everyone in the USA voted, democrats would do better in elections, but the range was not huge, 2-4% better if I remember correctly.

Not all non voters are automatic Democrats, and not all 3rd party voters are automatic Democrats.

Knave is taking about Sandernistas, many Trump voters did say Sanders was their second choice.

Now the percentage was probably low teens, so of the 6.5% or so he is taking about the bulk could have gone to Clinton if we had run off elections.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Democrat party is the antithesis of libertarian ideas. The Republicans aren't much better but they do actually talk about smaller government and lower taxes. The follow through is not so good though.

23. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    They may agree on some things, but Libertarians tend to vote strictly Libertarian or not at all, so they don't hurt Republican candidates.

I said all third party votes hurt Democrats because Republicans aren't hurt by third party voters. We can point to many, many Democrats who lost because of third party voters (not just at the national level, but local levels, too). You can't really say the same for Republicans.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And yet Ross Perot got Bill Clinton elected and Hillary didn't win because I voted for Gary Johnson.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Clinton vs Bush 1 and the Texas fellow, I think someone mentioned him above but I am blanking right now.

I remember an old study by CATO (they would have a libertarian bias) that 70% plus of people that could be considered libertarians by their bias definition vote republican.

Now this was in the 2000s, libertarians are very white, but tend to be more educated, so I would not be surprised if more and more are voting Democratic.

I am from Illinois where my vote does not matter, so I have voted green party most of my life, it was more about protesting the 2 party system than anything.

The supreme Court is what got me voting Democrat in resent elections.

But most people that do not fully identify with a party "independents" do end up voting for a party it is the hard core that vote 3rd party.

So yes if 3rd party was not an option many would not vote but a good segment would vote for one of the big 2, libertarians mostly republican and greens mostly Democrat.