Defense of, and Respect for the Game

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Chicago1871, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost every soccer fan in the US has had to defend his sport, or has gotten into "The Arguement." When you live in a country where soccer is regarded as little more than a kids sport or minor league this kind of thing is inevitable. But what is the correct approach when a rabid football/basketball/baseball fan ignorantly and repeatedly says to you "soccer sucks" with little explanation beyond the typical "it's boring" response?
    There are those who get red in the face from yelling and defending the sport we all love, and for some thing works. I personally have found it easier to discuss with someone who is a little open-minded. If they refuse to listen then you can never win. There is a saying, "One can never win an arguement regarding religion." Seeing as how sports in many countries can be considered "religions" it is understandable that most people will never bend during a discussion.
    I don't know how many of you visit CNNSI.com, or happen to read some of the superb columns written there regularly or only on occasion. Jimmy Conrad of the San Jose Earthquakes writes up a funny, abeit slightly twisted (in a good way) column called Conrads Corner. In his most recent (Sept 2, 2002) he answers questions sent to him by fans.
    In one question he addressed the lack of respect of soccer in the sporting fan community in this country. His response is one that contains humor, but also has an explanation that is put in terms that even an inebriated American football fan can comprehend. Check it out at this site http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/us/news/2002/09/01/conrad_eight/

or read below.

Why can't people of very little brain at least respect soccer? Most opponents of soccer that I have met in my life get worked up and bitter when insulting soccer and giving their opinion of it as if it had caused them some great emotional injury in the past. Why do you think people have this kind of reaction?
    -- Ventura, CA

JC: Because people of "very little brain" don't have the ability to comprehend why it is so beautiful. They want their timeouts for beer, chips and high fives.

Soccer is the book and the rest of the sports are Cliffs Notes. The "very little brain" people don't want the details (for instance, a forward making a run to take a defender away and opening space for another forward to run into); they want little snippets (slam dunks, home runs, touchdowns, more points, more points, more points). As for the reaction, it seems normal to go on the defensive when you don't know for sure what you are talking about. It's easier to say, "that sport sucks," then to say, "you know, I don't really understand it."

Also, I reccomend checking out past columns. There is some hilarious stuff in them. Enjoy.