PBP: DCU vs Sporks - Sunday, May 12, 1900

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, May 12, 2019.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your mother's a saint! :)

pr0ner repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Bailed on the game at the last minute. Bad weather, Mothers' Day and Mom enjoyed having her kids with her. (When they reach adulthood, their presence is an intermittent thing.) The genius who scheduled a match at 7:00 PM Mothers' Day during the school year should receive a gold star and a kick in the ass.

Winoman repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Besides it's Sporting Kansas City. I defy anyone of you who knew more than 2 players that were on that team to identify themselves.

Winoman repped this.
  4. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Frankly... ALL the MLS schedulers should be fired. The amount of teams being forced to play 3 matches in a week is insulting. This is not even due to trying to squeeze in cup matches, these are league matches...just the normal schedule. It embarrassing and bush league frankly.

Teams need to be on a 1 game per week schedule, with 2 per week introduced intermittently for cup matches, etc. Any more than that and the MLS on field product greatly suffers...in addition to greatly increasing chance of injury. Then you throw in the fact the players are flying coach?!

If you cannot fit in all the matches- lengthen the season or reduce the amount of matches. And provide charter flights for the MLS players you cheap bastards!

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have done this before the game. Might not have been a huge number, but they do have quite a few recognizable names around MLS (Melia, Zuzi, Besler, Feilhaber, Russell, Nemeth, Espinoza, Rodney Wallace, Kelyn Rowe...).

sitruc and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Most of these didn't play if I remember.
    You need to get out more.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Melia, Feilhaber, Russell, and Nemeth all started; Rowe came in as a sub.

I remember mindless trivia facts (particularly about sports) too well. :p

Winoman repped this.
  8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Birnbaum's headers were mostly down to the feet of the goalie. Thats normally good, away from the goalies hands. But those headers then hit the feet of the defenders on the line. If he had put his headers up high in the corners he could have scored two goals.

9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go by the Audi Index, Birnbaum was the "worst" player on the pitch last night, due to his slip and fall leading to SKC's biggest chance of the 2nd half, and all of his shots in the box getting blocked.

Pedroso was the 2nd "worst", mainly due to a bunch of unsuccessful passes (13 of them!).

10. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    #35 autogolazzo, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    I miss that too. Big Soccer doesn't get the traffic that it once did for DCU.

If DC fans are conversing on Twitter instead (as you surmise), where exactly?

Magikfute repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    There are lies. Then there are damnable lies. And then there are statistics.

12. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Does Levien care about how bad this is looking? He can't sell out HALF of a 20K stadium. The place looked way more than 50% empty. If you are trying to create any demand for tickets whatsoever, an empty looking stadium on national tv doesn't help.

I guess back at RFK on rainy days we could move up to the seats that were covered and watch from there. Now, there is little place to hide and little reason to go.

Winoman, JayRockers! and shawn12011 repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A chef at a half empty restaurant does not even get 1 star....................................

14. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Hard to know how many were watching the game from the eagle bank club but I, too, put attendance at well below 10k. even MOST of the supporters section was empty.... which made it a perfect time to take my 9 year old over to bang one of the drums in the rain with his coach!

my son was happy- all that matters.

On days like last night surely you can move around and find some open seats under the roof....

shawn12011 and fatbastard repped this.
  15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw plenty of people move under the roof on the West side. And if you want to make the hike up, people rarely check tickets on the East side, either, and ALL of those seats are under cover (though there is the occasional leak here and there).

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH, I know Besler, Wallace, and Zusi -- and Feilhaber too.

But am I imagining that Feilhaber was with KC and then with LA? When did he come back?

17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This past week. From Colorado, actually.

sitruc, roadkit and Winoman repped this.
  18. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Rain, Mother's day, Game of Thrones last major battle, and an early start on Sunday. I was unable to sell mine as well.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  19. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to say. I really dislike twitter. I see some stuff when I search “#DCvSKC”.

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure only the seriously bitter fans -- the ones who have been on BS for a decade or more -- are still here, LOL.

Twitter is for sucks. We're pros. Twitter couldn't handle our game.

21. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    OK, that includes me.

But seriously, where do DC Fans communicate these days?

I mean, there is a Barra Brava, District Ultras, and Screaming Eagles twitter page but they don't have squat as far as pre-match, in-match and post-match discussion is concerned. Actually, no discussion at all.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I already pay for ESPN, not to mention Spotify, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Sirius and a few others too. (And I've personally watched precisely 0 minutes of non-soccer TV in the past year.) If Fox thinks I'm going to give them money just to watch three or four DC games a season, they're idiots who can shove their advertising down someone else's throat.

Anyway, the highlights looked pretty OK.

shawn12011 repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am old and bitter So I guess that means me too. :D

roadkit and UnitedBorn repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't that old :laugh:

griffin1108 and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    lol at the attendance meltdown. What did you guys expect on a rainy schoolnight?

I was at the game and it didn't feel nearly as empty as some people say. Probably about half full at 10K.

It was my first trip to Audi this year and it was interesting to see the game from a behind the goal angle. Got a new appreciation for Brillant's distribution out of the back. I was also impressed with Jara (again). His soccer IQ is really high on both sides of the ball.

Speaking of IQ, I think Moreno is the most underrated DCU player right now. He is so critical to what we do. He's got an 89.2% passing completion rate, which is 12th best in the league. And it's not all backpasses. He already has two assists this year. He's consistently looking to move the ball forward to the attackers. All while staying tactically disciplined enough to handle his defensive duties.

I've shit on this team a lot over their dumb foreign signings in the past, but gotta give credit where credit is due. Moreno and Mora are two of the better bargain scouting successes in club history.

When I watch this team play I see ridiculous amounts of individual talent at every position. If I had to pinpoint one weakness on the team it would be the tactics. It's going to be hard for us to score consistently in this league without a true striker. So many dangerous attacks fizzle out because there's no striker in the 6 yard box to feed. Rooney's set piece threat is somewhat masking what is otherwise a pretty unproductive attack. The 5 minutes or so before Arriola's goal felt like a low point in the match where we were starting to run out of ideas. They need to find ways of being more direct in attacks. The individual talent is there, but I think we need more goals to be considered real title contenders.

DCUSA, dcu n bntwn, GumbyG and 3 others repped this.