DCU vs LAFU

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Petworth Posse, Apr 4, 2019.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 0-3, this is over but for the shouting. Can't believe I rushed home to catch this.

ejs1111 repped this.
  2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I’m not too worried, this is a good back to reality game for DC. They are a good team and a playoff team but not a top 4-5 team when all is said and done. That really isn’t too important though so long as they beat every Orlando and RSL they play.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, everything's getting exposed.

Yeah. This is a 'reset' of expectations for us.

Not that I thought the pace they were on was going to hold. We're a thin team in a number of ways and I suspect there will be a number of these type of games this season yet.

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    so Rooney was the one holding the team back? They're looking more energized without him

5. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    His mind is on real estate now

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been horrible in this game. Kaye has been levels better, and a big reason why the game started as it did.

sitruc and Gacm32 repped this.
  7. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Why would you take Acosta off? He was at least trying to influence the game. Olsen is a fool.

Theopisa repped this.
  8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a game on Tuesday. He is conceding this game to have his key player fresh for the Montreal game.

9. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You know who I feel for? Chris Durkin. The kid needs minutes, yet, he's sitting behind two pretty mediocre central midfielders.

Theopisa repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would definitely like to see him get a few more minutes. Is he just not developing well or is Olsen making a mistake? I have no idea.

11. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The thing is; how do you develop, if you don't even get minutes? He played a substantial amount at the beginning of last season. Did he look that poor?

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, in this game we were the RSL.

John L, Winoman and dadman repped this.
  13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I foolishly drove to the game, totally forgetting about the hordes of people out for the cherry blossoms. We were down 1-0 when I got to my seat, and then the rout was on. I don't think our DMs did us any favors, and Hamid's distribution was subpar (again) although his quick reactions saved a couple of goals. I thought Lucho was a bit off today, but Rooney's free kicks were quality and Arriola did his terrier bit to the end. Amarikwa looked good, and I hope we see him Tuesday.
    BTW, the program listed LA's sub el-Munir as being 13 years old (you just can't trust those Libyan birth certificates). And speaking of age, LA's outside backs were 32 and 35. and still getting it done.

sitruc repped this.
  14. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 stangspritzring, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Yeah, that LAFC is a Bob Bradley coached team...Inelegant, ugly, swarm the opposing midfielder with the ball, foul regularly until the other team retaliates, and the MLS refs are a mind to keep letting it happen. LAFC's #7 committed at least 7 fouls without so much as a talking to, while Titi gets a warning at 3? Amerikwa was getting hugged every time there was a clearance from Hamid so that he couldn't jump....

It's the same tactics Bradley has always used against a team trying to play an attractive game, with every team he's been head coach of...

That said, we never adapted, to playing quick one two balls, and McCann was out of position and too slow by a fair amount in dealing with Vela....The first two goals were from him being far out of position and too slow to recover. That was disappointing.

I wish the refs could recognize the rotating PI for what it is and start calling it, because that would at least help mitigate some of the mess.

Winoman repped this.
  15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our central midfield gave the ball away too much today. all four goals came off of turnovers in the midfield. add to that the horrible game the ref had. four cards against United and none versus LA.

12th Man, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

GumbyG repped this.
  17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, that was underwhelming......

1. Canouse was interested in another MLS today. He was poor, piss-poor in fact and you can begin to see why Berhalter didn't let him see the field for the Nats. His passing was bad and he just couldn't keep the ball moving under pressure. He should sit Tuesday and let Durkin go the full 90.
    2. Bradley outcoached Olsen. LAFC were lethal on the break, they "knew" where the gaps in the defense were going to be, played the ball into that space and were off to the races. Canouse's sub-par day just aided that preparation.
    3. McCann is no Mora, but he wasn't the problem. The midfield was overrun by crisp passing and poor play from our guys.
    4. Olsen is a blockhead. The game was over at the half. With the Tuesday game upcoming he should have removed Rooney, Acosta and Brillant to save their legs. Instead, Rooney had a brain fart and now will get plenty of rest on Tuesday. Lucho went almost 75 minutes in a game lost by minute 45 and Brillant went the full 90. Does Olsen really thnk either Robinson or Pines can go 90 against MLS players? I certainly don't. Maybe we find out on Tuesday.
    5. My lineup for Tuesday:
    Amarikwa
    Stieber - Acosta - Arriola
    Durkin -- Moreno
    McCann -- Brillant -- Birnbaum -- Jara
    Hamid

Segura or Rodriguez for Amarikwa by minute 60
    Canouse for extra defensive stiffening after minute 80
    Robinson, Ward or Pines as emergency subs

18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't make a comment about fouls suffered, but I would say that the goals were somewhat elegant. Granted, for 2 or 3 of them, DC United essentially turned the ball over in advantageous spots.

sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the goals were well taken, but the buildups to them were entirely build around "force a turnover at midfield and then rush the gaps." the build-ups weren't elegant in the least. LA's play out of the back wasn't particularly slick or stylish...

shawn12011 and griffin1108 repped this.
  20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The goals came from the Right, not the Left.

Other than that, Karma's a bitch.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    One final point. If Olsen doesn't favor Stieber at all, then try to trade him for a left back that can play similarly to Mora. He doesn't have to be as good, but simply capable of playing the Mora role. In other words, some pace, some positional sense and no fear about going forward. McCann just can't play that role -- and I don't think he ever could.

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to proximity, my hatred of all things Galaxy, and my son’s affinity and youth affiliation with LAFC I’ve had season seats since the start. Two words I would never use to describe LAFC are inelegant and ugly. Their entire offense is modeled on quick transition from defense to attack and then once high enough up the field if the initial shot isn’t there pass it back to the approaching DM. Atuesta is in the Busquets role for LAFC and routinely can thread a pass through defensive lines allowing for a quick shot or cross.

LAFC is a Bob Bradley coached team but they’ve transcended Bunker Bob’s fast break counter clubs. There aren’t many wasted passes on this team.

James

23. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the ******** happened to the loaded crab fries from last year? I made the pilgrimage to 108 from 127, and no ********ing loaded crab fries.

Oh, and the game sucked too.

24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First game at Audi Field this season, I honesty thought it would have been a lot closer, instead it was a massacre. The only two positives of the day:
    1) fannypacks are finally allowed at AF too (never had a problem at RFK)
    2) I got a free ticket in 124 from a coworker

Not going tuesday, but I'll go to Denver next weekend.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Biggest disappointment of the day, other than the defeat, the free fanzine is no longer a small booklet of articles and interviews but a foldable panflet of advertisements. Why is this FO so classless and cheap?

fatbastard, sitruc and shawn12011 repped this.