DCU vs Barney SC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by fatbastard, Aug 10, 2018.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC hosts Florida-Man in the crumbling new stadium
    8:00-10:00pm, weather depending
    Fox Sports 1 - check your local listings for availability

DO NOT TAKE THE METRO!!! (unless you have to, or live on the Green Line)

[​IMG]
    * technically not a real baby animal but Barney-like without being lame

I guess I should think SC is better than the beyond-stupid FC for a team name, and it is, but call me old-fashioned, I expect anything with those initials to be located in South Carolina.

Looks to be an interesting match-up. Orlando having trouble of late and a few starters are out giving others a chance to impress on the road. Seems like a trap game and DCU loves to play down to the level of their opponent

I am still gonna say:
    DCU - 3
    Graple team - 1

... but it will be closer than it seems with 2 goals coming late off the counter.

Each updated forecast I see makes the late-night storms a bit less likely (which of course means monsoons and lightning, add time to your recording!)

dadman, Gittnbizzee and Winoman repped this.
  2. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My optimism knows no bounds. DC wins 3-0.

Gittnbizzee, Rick77 and Winoman repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I have a feeling my head will hurt and I'll hear the voice of someone saying "not the momma" after this one.

4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If we go a man up is Ben gonna bunker again?

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Only if we are down at least 1 goal. You have to protect the deficit first and foremost.
    For those who brave shot and shell to go you do deserve the best effort of the past 5 seasons just for showing up. If they mail this in no court will convict for lynching the whole organization

GlennAA11 and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Anybody using the water taxi from Old Towne on Sunday night? Interested in seeing how late the return run will be.

7. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to predict same scoreline

DC - 3
    Rotten Disney Oranges - 1

Attack will definitely be firing. Joe Bendik is a sieve.

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    #8 griffin1108, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    I used it for the last home game. Leaves from the Old Town pier around 6:30ish, the return leaves from the dock near Potomac Yards about 20-25 minutes after the match concludes. The price for a round trip is $25 plus tax per person and the $175 annual water taxi pass is not honored on the gameday boats. DO NOT TAKE THE REGULAR WATER TAXI TO THE WHARF, IT DOESN'T RUN LATE ENOUGH TO MAKE IT BACK AFTER THE MATCH. One caveat, if the weather is bad, the boat doesn't operate -- for example on the night of the RBNY debacle, the taxi didn't operate because of the thunderstorms. In other words, the operators of the water taxi have more sense than the dipshits running the DUCK excursions in Branson. Because of the weather uncertainty tomorrow night, I grabbed a parking spot using the Spot Hero app at the H/I lot a number of posters have recommended.

Winoman, Gittnbizzee and sitruc repped this.
  9. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando have been better but they're still bad. They're only 5 points ahead of us with 4 more games played. This is an absolute must and should win if this team still has any hope whatsoever this season. I expect a worthy performance - 3-0 DC. Wednesday certainly won't be easy v. Portland, but I'd rather us get wins against Orlando and then New England due to playoff implications. I always expect home wins no matter what, but I'd be satisfied with Win-Draw-Win in this stretch.

Nothing against Moreno but Arriola should get his spot back. Same rest of lineup

Ousted
    Fisher Birn Opare Mora
    Canouse
    Steiber Arriola Acosta Asad
    Rooney

Clark, Brillant, Durkin, Moreno, Segura, Harkes, Mattocks

Winoman and SoccerEsq repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a good place to post this. If you don't know the story, there was a Nike commercial out at the time with Barkley taking on Godzilla. This is way better.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  11. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando edges us out as the worst team on the road in the east, averaging 0.55 points per game while our average is 0.57. They have only gotten 2 wins, with no draws, out of 11 road games.

This is the sort of home game against a weaker road team that we should and must win to take advantage of our back-loaded home schedule to make the playoffs. We cannot settle for merely "getting a result" with a draw at this point (and I really worry about the failed-bunker-when-trying-to-protect-a-one-goal-lead approach) in games like this.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  12. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Would like to see Robinson get some minutes this game. He's a beast. Also do we know that Hamid won't be in the 18?

Winoman repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

GlennAA11 and JayRockers! repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! :(

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I admire the clubs which have decided for SC instead than FC, at least they kept that American touch in their name instead than trying to emulate European clubs. For me the worst are those clubs which had historical and unique names that decided to switch to totally banal names, like the Carolina Railhawks that became FC North Carolina, and Harrisburg Islanders that became FC Penn. Absolutely tragic.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    3-1 for the good guys.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not at all surprisingly, I believe both name changes came with new ownership groups. I could be wrong, but FC may have been part of the Carolina Railhawks full name.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be aware that expected kickoff time is 8:18 PM, weather permitting. Especially important for those taking Metro.

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if there is a stream available?

20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Many fans disguised as empty seats. These 8:00 PM starts suck. Hamid on the bench tonight as well as Vytas.

shawn12011 repped this.
  21. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright! I've been traveling so much this summer I've not had a chance to see DCU play in ages. Let's see what they look like compared to early season.

Winoman repped this.
  22. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red smoke behind the goal is nice. Seeing that shot go at the goalie was less so. Now the smoke is all over the box.

Probably impacted visibility less on the field than TV. And it's dissipated quick.

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    hey, look. they painted the bright white walls dark grey

24. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So. Did they really not sell that many tickets on the TV side or did people chicken out from the rain and late start on Sunday?

25. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    the west side is pretty much sold out with season ticket holders. I think a variety of factors led to the small crowd...we've hashed and re-hashed them over and over. But the fact that unless you live on the Green or Yellow line Metro is telling you not to bother using the system probably has a lot to do with it. And I personally know several STH's who are out of the country.