DCU v. the Bridgeview Fire -- soon to be Chicago FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, May 28, 2019.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll bet you were hoping we'd forget this post after he scored twice.:D

GumbyG, shawn12011 and song219 repped this.
  2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GumbyG, ImNumberTen, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Even Long Tan knocked one in a couple of time s

UnitedBorn and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    All of these comments are right on. I personally like seeing the fullbacks push up and get involved in the attack. It's a risk. The best way to mitigate that risk is by putting Pines' speed in the defense. I thought I saw in one of Goff's reports last week that Pines was back in practice. Did he make the 18?

My only addition would be that our players still do not move off the ball. Way too many passes to players standing still unless we are on a clear counter attack from the earlier stated deep defensive positions. After we've consolidated possession in the attack we never pass to anyone who is on the run.

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is something DCU has regressed on this year. For awhile at the end of last year DC was looking like a real football team. Of course that was in autumn and summer arrives in DC around May 1st. Maybe this as good as it gets.

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The excitement of Wayne Rooney, a new stadium, shitload of home games etc. Most teams would look better under those circumstances

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About last night:

sitruc, dcu n bntwn and ImNumberTen repped this.
  8. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Breaking news that the MLS PRO admitted to DCU that they stepped on their collective Johnsons regarding the Fire's third goal. Calvo *was* offside after all, the scrotum, and VAR should have been consulted.

sitruc and dcu n bntwn repped this.
  9. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, would you accept DC getting 3 points on a correct video review disallowing the Chicago goal if Hamid gets a red card for VC in the same review?

10. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without a doubt.

Especially with the new playoff format.

sitruc and PSURoss repped this.
  11. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Moot point.
    If the goal should have been disallowed, then Bill clobbering Calvo for scoring that "goal" also should be waved-off, right?
    :thumbsup: :D

The DisCo should blow off punishing Bill as a recompense for DCU getting skull-f***ed out of 2 points.

shawn12011 repped this.
  12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So, that's two goals that DCU got ********ed on this year. Pines' goal should have stood in Minny and then last night should have been waved off. VAR is a ********ing joke, get rid of it or get folks more adept than brain damaged chimps to actually work it.

dcu n bntwn and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    That shot does show Robinson's lack of spatial awareness. Every other defender is moving up, he's planted to the turf. If he took one step forward, even the blind shitholes who operate VAR would have seen the offside.

Funkfoot and John L repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    VAR sucks. It's seriously killing my ability to enjoy the game that I love. I find myself watching more NPSL and less MLS because I just can't stand VAR.

bigredfutbol and John L repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we learn that the Fire's tying goal should have been flagged offside, if the video ref had done his job (see today's WAPO). This error, plus the one on Pines' goal, has cost us four points this season.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Yea, some retroactive punishment would be some real salt in the wound, but it wouldn't be incorrect either. Since he only got a yellow, can DISCO review Canouse's foul? That's the kind of foul that gets VARed into a red in the stadium. Not much different from the one Rooney got a couple game ago. I do not think that the Hamid foul gets nullified or ignored because of the off sides whistle. Its sort of like a personal foul in the NFL. Its still a personal foul, regardless of whether the ball is in play.

By the rub of the green, we're 1-2 for getting F-ed over on VAR. The disallowed Crew goal against this missed off sides and the bogus call on Brilliant. A point in Minnesota and 2 points here against the points the might or might not get don't get dropped against the Crew result. While I don't think that Porter was right saying that they missed out on 3 points, because we were outplaying them most of the first half and would have or should have overcome the goal against the run of play leaves us even on VAR or perhaps still ahead, depending on how you look at it.

I can't say that I am even remotely satisfied with MLS/PRO officiating or VAR so far this season. There have been a ton of misses all over the place and the misses seem much more significant than past years. I think that VAR needs to be taken out of the match officials hands and handled in a uniform manner by a centralized and small group of VAR officials and I think they need another ref on the field to get a more 360* view of the game in real time.

shawn12011 repped this.
  17. sevenMG

sevenMG Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    What i don't understand is - if they bother to have VAR and there are VAR guys looking at every goal, why would they not just automatically check the goal to make sure it was good. Why do they only check some goals.

sitruc repped this.
  18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    VAR -- Various Assholes Reviewing

shawn12011, fatbastard and John L repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vacuous Assholes Reviewing (FYP)

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Who has been the big proponents for instituting VAR anyway?

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I asked:

Thx,

Jay!

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.