DCU v. Poutine Eating Bastards

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Jun 30, 2017.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave up at 33 minutes

2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I think it's easy enough to blame both Kasper and Olsen (and rest of the staff)

song219 and sitruc repped this.
  3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Staring down the 12th game without a goal this season and 8 points outside of a playoff berth

sitruc repped this.
  4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Playoffs?!?!

[That might actually be the biggest indictment of MLS...that we're only 8 points away]

NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is hard to watch, but not nearly as hard to watch as the Simpson-Ashton sex tape.

I don't actually know if there is a sex tape, but just think of that match up, and you'll be able to stomach this game.

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Simpson really is god awful all jokes aside. Liking her commentary really is an indictment of bad taste.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Poor Dave Johnson sounds defeated

8. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so sick of this sh!t.

It's not just the losing. They are bad and boring. It's surprising that anyone at all shows up at all for the home games.

superdave, nick, NicktheGreek and 2 others repped this.
  9. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Damn, I'd nearly forgotten what it was like to be the "League Bitch" . . .. .

NicktheGreek repped this.
  10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Come on guys let's be optimistic, next game we only have to play Dallas away.

Murrdcu, shawn12011, nick and 3 others repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The two are probably not mutually exclusive. I think it's fair to say that there are problems at all levels in this clubs, from players to coaching staff and all the way up to front office.

Usually when things are this broken, the ultimate accountability has to go to the top. Look, it's not a crime for Levien and Thohir to not know anything about soccer. But being a CEO is about knowing how to hire the right people. They've had enough time to to have an internal audit. The technical direction of the club is fundamentally broken. No identity, no player development strategy, no international scouting knowledge. In the modern game you need a technical director who can implement a vision. Kasper is only useful in understanding the mechanics of the league and how to be active in the various allocation processes, drafts and waivers. He alone doesn't really have a broader soccer philosophy and strategy. Some coaches like Vermes and Arena can do both jobs of coaching and long term strategy. But Ben's not that guy. He still has a lot to develop as a coach, let alone assume more responsibilities.

So where does that leave us? Basically stuck in neutral until the owners decide that they want to compete. As long as they don't hire someone capable of assuming the technical director role, we will continue to be rudderless with no technical direction.

song219, superdave, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When does the Gold Cup start again?

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    He points out repeatedly that Montreal has a very poor defense yet in my eye they look pretty darn organized and well positioned to handle United's offensive game. What conclusion would that lead to concerning United's attack?

nick and Winoman repped this.
  14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Given the average tenure of an MLS coach and the tenure of Ben Olsen, I would say rather strongly that if he hasn't learned yet, he won't and can't. Very few coaches have been around as long as him.

Rick77, JRHokie, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    She was a big reason why I toggled the mute as much as I did and eventually spent 10 minutes watching Edd China replace worn pistons on a Citroen 2CV. The ring gap was edge of the seat stuff for a minute,

Winoman and roadkit repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I guess they don't get enough perdiem to buy a quart of fiji water at the gate before boarding

Winoman repped this.
  17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Olsen has had multiple seasons that would've ended other coaches tenures, if not careers (2013), yet he's like a zombie energizer bunny.

JRHokie, Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    No kidding? That deal is almost as good ad being put out to stud or the old malarky that dad took sparky out to the country to live on a farm.

19. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Don't tell my wife that Ben is being put out to stud. He's going out to the country to live on a farm.

song219, shawn12011, JRHokie and 2 others repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsay Simpson is the Kellyann Conway of MLS.

Rick77, roadkit, sitruc and 7 others repped this.
  21. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :):p:D:laugh::ROFLMAO:

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Now that I think of it while we still hear their comments we see less of their faces, Ya can't have it all, I nominate the inventor of the mute button for a Nobel Prize

Winoman repped this.
  23. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Olsen reminds me of those Italian politicians who - despite their obvious incompetence - are always at their place, holding their chairs with their tentacles while repeating to people the same stories over and over again with their bronze faces. To change everything in order not to change anything.

Winoman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I show up out of a sense of duty. I am completely serious: I don't show up expecting entertainment, but rather out of a sense of duty.

GlennAA11, Adler, Winoman and 5 others repped this.
  25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Should have joined the Marines

Winoman, ImNumberTen and UnitedBorn repped this.