DCU v. Poutine Eaters

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Apr 8, 2019.

1. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know how much time Durkin has left on his deal? Quite frankly, if they aren't going to play him they should transfer him during the summer window this year.

2. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    After Rooney's absence- its painfully obvious that he is directing traffic on the pitch. When Rooney is not on that field DCU suffers greatly. Many times Rooney comes all the way back to midfield to receive a pass... just to then receive a quick give and go, or then he sprays the ball wide and hustles back upfield. Everytime he does this- I'm imagining he's out there thinking:

FFS fellas! Just give me the ball and watch. There! See where I passed it! That's where I want it to go more often. Don't make me come all the way back here and do it for you anymore. :confused:

Winoman repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed the same problems the first half of last year when Darren Mattocks was out of games - are y'all saying he also was the on-field coach that is so desperately needed because Olsen can't do it?

I think they just try harder and try different things when Wayne is in because they think he'll notice a run or appreciate a run even if he doesn't use the runner - and maybe they don't have that confidence in the other players (including Lucho when he's by himself). And because we don't rotate players very often (which I will put on Chad and Ben) they just don't trust the bench folks as much as they trust the starters, or even some of the "regulars"?

Maybe. To me seems way more likely than thinking Rooney is doing it all for them while also playing at a high level.

4. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure United is waiting until after the U-20 World Cup (where Durkin will feature heavily) before any possible transfer.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney is the straw that stirs this drink (that is an old 80's sports quote for you young whipper snappers!!). He makes things go. He has the vision to see runs and make the pass. Lucho can at times but unlike Rooney he cannot adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if you watch him closely during matches he is constantly talking and gesturing to his teammates about their positioning and setting things up for a foray on goal. He is clearly a "field general."

ejs1111, Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  7. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why I said move him in the summer window.

8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Except thats what he always did at ManU, Everton and on the England National Team.

9. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    yes he did. Still doesn't change my point. His footy IQ is off the charts. He comes back to help get the ball into dangerous spots sooner. Or because he is concerned his teammates will never get the ball into those spots (in our case).

Winoman, TowsonDad and shawn12011 repped this.