Pre-match: DCU v. NYCFC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Oct 21, 2018.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Just made it to AF before kickoff (sick daughter and we ran errands for her).

My oh my what a beautiful day. Watching Acosta skate through NYFC on that first goal was worth the price of admission. The second goal -- remember when Acosta couldn't hit the broadside of barn? He is a cold clinical finisher now.

Three players I want to give mad props to: Canouse, Moreno and Segura. Canouse and Moreno were just beasts, physical, clogging passing lanes, those two were absolutely spot on today. Segura -- I thought him a deck chair earlier this season -- I was wrong. The guy didn't put a wrong foot forward all day. Just a solid, solid performance.

In the words of Reggie Jackson -- Rooney is the straw that stirs the drink -- but that drink right now is 101 proof.

My wife said to me, it's been years since I've gone to a game and seen beautiful soccer. Not since Moreno and Gomez has this team been so much fun to watch. What a long wait, but this half season has been special. These guys were in last place on August 11th and are now in discussions regarding a home playoff on the play-in game. Just ********ing amazing.

2. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOD DAMN IT, YOU

MattR, GumbyG, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He'd tweaked it earlier in the game too if I recall. It seemed one of his quads was cramping up. The second hit really put him down hard.

smakawhat and Winoman repped this.
  4. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting this bit because yeah. I was sitting there in my second game at Audi Field and thinking, "Dang it's good to see pulsating offense minded soccer with this team again."

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a wonderful moment just after the final whistle. Arriola, alone on the west sideline, fell to the ground overcome with emotion (not fatigue). Rooney, who was celebrating with the rest of the team in the center of the field, saw this, ran over and knelt down and gave him a hug, helped him to his feet and led him to the celebration with his arm around his shoulder. Very touching, and it tells you reams about the spirit and cohesiveness of this team since Rooney's arrival.

12th Man, nick, shawn12011 and 13 others repped this.
  6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It’s pretty clear that this is important for legacy reasons for Rooney and not just a quick paycheck. Dude will be a DC legend after a short time

12th Man, nick, shawn12011 and 3 others repped this.
  7. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was right in front of our seats. One of the team photographers also spotted it and had to have some good shots of it. Now I feel bad for rooting against England all those times. Of course, that was before I thought we had a chance of him coming over here. :D

Yeah, I can see why Wayne's fans followed him over.

Dizi, USSoccerNova, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  8. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, in my corner we saw Arriola go to his knees and were pointing it out with, "dang...wow" then Rooney came over and it was cheer time.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not sure about pre-game, but I was seeing him favor a leg before and during the second half. He was able to put pressure on both, but it was subtlety noticeable that he wasn't comfortable.

Winoman repped this.
  10. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he was coasting a bit before the half. I was on the other end so I didn't get to see him as closely for the second.

11. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

DC United
    Apr 27, 2003
    MD - Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought something was really wrong with him, cause his runs were ridiculously slow. This explains a lot.

Yeah I am speechless these past couple of weeks, what a way to end the season.

I am also going to give some credit to the backline for once (yeah they deserved it today with the exception of loosing focus on the NYCFC goal when we once again got "cheeky"), even Brilliant is playing miles better, I think it's cause he's getting more active in the plays which is a good thing, first touches, FAR better passing (he used to hit the ball so weakly or give it up). He's finally starting to fill me with some confidence and he's showing it.

I hope Hamid is ok still, I would rest him in the next game and anyone else who needs it. Throw Mattocks in there also just to get him warmed up. Everybody needs to be ready for the post season.

Winoman, stangspritzring and sitruc repped this.
  12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    2 wins in City's last 12 games, IIRC. I have a feeling they'll fall to fifth on decision day and they'll have earned it good and hard.

If I've done my math right, if DC were to win in Chicago they'd host a playoff game no matter what happens elsewhere.

Winoman repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFAIK, this is correct.

Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I had this same thought yesterday and decided to look up Gomez to find out that at 43 he is still playing for Nueva Chicago.

Winoman repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember thinking to myself that, for the first time in years--a decade, at least--I wouldn't think twice about inviting a casual fan to join me at the stadium to watch this team play.

stangspritzring and Winoman repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    ESPN+ carried the NYCFC announcers, and they were very complimentary of DCU. And openly critical of some of their players - refreshing when you are used to homers.

Boloni86, Winoman and nick repped this.
  17. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    That was a pretty bit of ball handling. He intercepted that pass almost right in front of us and then he just dribbled the whole right side of City's team. I loved it when Blake raised his hand for offside, even though the pass to Rooney was made from within inches of the endline. I am trying to figure out if Blake is as good as Worra or worse. I don't think he's better.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I generally don't like British announcers in MLS broadcasts but Ian Joy is, well, a joy.

(Yes, I know Ian Joy is technically American but his Lothian brogue is thick.)

19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    From my vantage point in 126, it looked like he was skating. When Acosta is in full stride with the ball, it's like his feet never really leave the ground. Watching the play from different angles on video is just amazing, he made the NYCFC defense truly look like OTC.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Ya know, when I think about it, none of those moves seemed all that special, just the kind of cuts we teach the kids playing U10. I've seen him with some truly magical moves, but, this was, to borrow from Ray Hudson, magisterial in how he glided through City on that goal

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at that play of video today, I would imagine that the entire right side of the NYCFC backline is in for a week of hell from Patrick Vieira.

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Patrick Viera has been coaching Nice in France since June. Explains a fair amount actually.

Winoman, GumbyG, asitis and 3 others repped this.
  23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Only if they were on the verge of transfering to Nice. :p

Curses. Beat me to it.

Winoman repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sean Johnson.

Winoman, GumbyG, griffin1108 and 2 others repped this.
  25. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fellow Brit - who has been living in the US for years and a DC United fan.

MLS is a much better league than is it's been credited (IMO most teams at the Championship level - the very best would be bottom of the Prem. I have to say I was very, very skeptical of Rooney coming to DC. Some recent late-career English signing like Lampard and Gerrard have been near and complete busts.

Rooney however, has been more along the line of Keene, Beckham or Ibrahimovic. They are special players that can still contribute at a very high level given the right role and system.

What is so great about wazza stems from his humble and willing to work like the other guys' attitude. As a result, he has integrated into the team very quickly who has helped shape expectations and accountability for everyone. On the field, his vision, touch, and movement off the ball have transformed the team. He has become that glue that holds the team together but brings of the best of players around him, in particular, Acosta but also Arriola and Asad.

The change in United is not just Wazza but also bringing Hamid back from Europe (IMO a top 4 keeper in MLS) the spectacular play of Canouse at the number 6 role and the return of Nick DeLeon at right back after being out for almost the whole season.

United right now is a very balance an capable team. The team's glaring weakness with the center backs has been mitigated with the play of Canouse and support by Durkin and Moreno in front of Burnbaum and Brilliant.

This team could go far in the playoff although United still has to show it can beat New York RB.

Glad you are enjoying the league.