Post-match: DCU v CCSC Post-Match

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GB's 3-4-3 formation killed it. Crognale looked like a beast. Higuain's passing was not great, but looked much more lively. Ola put in good work up top, drawing both penalties. Steffen with some shaky handling on crosses, but at least he had the nerve to come off his line and challenge them unlike Clark, made a couple of very nice saves, one low on a good header and another rushing out to close down an angle from close range.

DC has 0 goals its first 3 games lulz.

Let's hope we see this next week v Portland.

2. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Smell ya later RFK!

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Three points!

[​IMG]

Locutus and chr1st repped this.
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen getting a shutout and made a couple very nice saves.

chr1st, Tobias C, TRUJDUB and 2 others repped this.
  5. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am glad the "new" me didn't convince Ted Unkel to send off Birnbaum for the first PK... if he did we might not have had the second.

To DC - "Have you scored, have you scored, have you scored a goal this year?!?!

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take the 3.
    On to Portland.

7. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple that could be up for saves of the week.

He still makes me nervous though. A lot of balls bouncing instead of grabbing and holding on. He'll learn. He also looks 17 not 21.

I'm not putting too much of this on the formation. D.C. Suck so far and we scored in 2 PKs that I've seen not given before. Still great to finally get 3 points. Hopefully this springs us into more confidence and wins.

8. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we can beat a Portland we will be in a good position for the first time this year. This kinda makes up for the Chicago draw

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Dear Ggg,

I like wins more than possession.

Thank you,
    puttputtfc

10. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Despite the fact that D.C. Is in bad form. We look more confident and the formation and style seemed to fit us. I hope we see it again against Portland. But sub Finlay in for Higuain next time.

11. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I realize that this team isn't very good yet, and that even while getting almost every call they made at least some effort to blow this game. But I would be a truly hapless Crew fan if I didn't at least opine thusly:

Suck it, DC!! And my, that's an awesome scoring streak you have going there!

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won't remember that they were playing bad in 3 months. Take the points and move to the next

redi44crew repped this.
  13. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    First ten minutes I thought we might be in trouble. But then we had the lightning counter started from the Artur flick at the top of our area. We controlled it after the first ten minutes.

Say what you will about Pipa, and believe me I've got a lot of time for you, but I look at DC's #10 Acosta, and how everyone fawned over making his move permanent, and he's the type of player MLS needs to sign and so on. Well... this isn't the first time I've seen him look completely anonymous, at least Pipa wants the damn ball. He may not really have it anymore, nothing ever seems to come off, etc. But he doesn't hide out there.

Crognale MoM by a country mile. Can't wait to see the numbers, but that was a dream debut. Ray Hudson would've called it magisterial.

Steffen came up big, had a shaky "catch" but otherwise that outing will have done him a lot of good. I imagine Mensah comes in for Williams next time out. Welcome back, Josh btw.

We needed that, glad we got it.

14. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree with you but might prefer to see Naess sit instead of Williams . Naess doesn't look real confident defending out wide 1v1 and I thought Williams looked better. Really it's a good problem to have. Our Deffenders as a whole is deeper and much more talented than even the 2015 team.

That said hopefully we can sell Sauro unless he takes a drastic salary reduction

15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Berhalter didn't sound like this was a permanent formation change in postgame comments. More like best way to match up and defeat this particular opponent

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finlay looked like Le Toux honestly, hard worker but not much else. I'd take Pipa over Finlay right now. Pipa was lively, hopefully the passes sharpens up next week. Meram was a bit off it seemed as well.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did he say exactly? If we come out 4-2-3-1 v Portland I might have a stroke...

18. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Said the tactical change was more about attacking a particular opponent and giving them the best chance to be successful.

I watched it on post game show that was my general take not his exact words

19. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    More than anything, I will remember this as the Crognale show. I am seriously giddy. I had never seen him play. A couple of you guys said he was the real deal, but while I hoped that was true, I never thought it would be. I can't believe how well he played. Size, great positioning, unbelievably quick feet in 1v1, great tackles. Holy shit. I also saw him a few times looking behind him to the back side and organizing the D. He really seems like a complete player and a stud defender.

He has to start at CB, right?

20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that's just him saying that to save face, since he's been so goddamn stubborn about his formation and possession tactics. We played a bit faster, weren't as concerned with possession, and ditched the old formation.

I pray that he sees this formation as the best way to attack Portland. Regardless, we'll need someone big to battle with Adi next week. Crognale looks good, though as @SourCream&OnionUtd pointed out in the PBP, he looked good in a 3-4-3. Crognale was shaky in preseason playing with Mensah in a 4-2-3-1- playing against Charleston in preseason. I'm not ready to make him a starter with just 2 CBs yet.

TRUJDUB and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  21. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Just cagey coach speak I'd reckon. When the topic of three at the back first surfaced on here, I said Finlay would be the one to be dropped. Tbh I'm still not sure Pipa fits into it either. Like, at all, really. But tonight at least it worked.

Moving forward though, the formation makes a lot of sense because we have numbers at the back but not many options at the wide attacking areas. So sitting Finlay gives you an option there. If he starts, there's only Hansen (who I'm excited about and can't wait to see, but he's still a superdraft rookie).

An interesting set of questions is who partners Trapp, how serious is Artur's injury (hopefully not very), is Abu the consummate squad guy (seems to be from the looks of it so far), when will we move Tchani (because we will).

Portland look mostly solid but frail at the back, so hopefully we can get at them next week.

22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, if Abu is nothing more than a squad guy, I'm a bit annoyed we paid a damn transfer fee for him.

ZipSix and ibrew repped this.
  23. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Looked lost against Sao Paulo, too. But it's funny, I want to see more of him and I want to see Lalas too (no, not that one!), so yes, more of three at the back please, Gregg!

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I want to see Crognale too at this point. And if the defense ships goals with 'starters' as is, might not hurt to just throw Crognale in there, though I'd prefer it against a team with less firepower than Portland. If we play with 3 though, I'd be fine with Mensah, Crognale, Naess.

25. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shoot, I forget Artur came off hurt. He's looked better each week and I can see him playing a key role. 3G had the Abu sub ready before he went down. I think it was just cramps, because he was first holding his right leg, then his left. So either cramping, or gamesmanship knowing that he was being subbed out.