DCU @ Starbucks FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, Jul 17, 2017.

?

Expected outcome:

1. Lose. 0 points

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Tie. 1 point

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Win. 3 points

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I have learned today that the result of last night was unprecedented, never in 21 and 1/2 seasons a team came back from 0-3 to win the game.

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the meantime, we are at 3 points in the last 6 games, 4 defeats in a row.

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    In year two or three we were beating Dallas 3-0 at half-time at home. Ended up a 3-3 tie.

4. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I don't discount the fact that the roster is inadequate. But ownership won't fire itself and Ben is too nice a guy to administer the kind attitude adjustment necessary after giving up 8 goals in two games. He is a players coach not a disciplinarian and more discipline is necessary now.
    I think there's two different points we're making and they are both correct. The first is that the FO has assembled a team that is barely playoff calibar when healthy, and now with a few injuries they are pretty poor. The second point, which I'm trying to make, is that there is no excuse for a professional soccer team surrendering 8 goals in 2 games and 4 goals in 27 minutes. The poster above made the somewhat obvious point that Ben wasn't actually playing. But if coaches aren't accountable for their players' performance they would have lifetime tenure. An organization comitted to success would be sending strong messages right now that the status quo is unacceptable. Ben and the FO need to review the last 180 minutes, identify who's been screwing up, and deal with it, even if that means sitting some of our better players a game or two. And if the result of that review is that Ben hasn't prepared the players then he must be dealt with.

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    [Q
    United adds another entry in the record books!

6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With a tie. Not with the win of the team that was 0-3 down

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The problem with this game was poor tactics. The game changed at 3-1 and the players on the field did not exhibit the IQ to adapt. What that comes down to is preparation and organization.

We just got stretched all over the field. We were not compact enough to make it easy on ourselves. The problem starts in the center. When you're up 3-0 you basically need to shut down the middle to force the ball out wide early. That makes their buildup predictable and you can trap them on the touchline. But if you let Lodeiro and Roldan get possession centrally in our defensive third it allows them to spray the ball wide to someone that's already in position to cross. Not enough time for Franklin to get out there, and Joevin Jones killed us twice. Ben just simply got outcoached. Schmeltzer moved Jones into attacking left winger and it totally changed the game. Ben had no answer. The correct sub was actually available on our bench. Get Sam out of there and bring Korb in who is a better 1v1 defender than Franklin and matches up better to Jones, especially with Franklin just ahead of him.

Learning how to organize a defense in a low block is not difficult. Tutorials are available on the internet. The hard part is translating that knowledge into the players and getting them to recognize the patterns through repetition. And of course having the physical stamina to do the work required in a 90 minute game.

Someone should forward this video to Ben. The concepts are simple. The hard part is execution, which is what should be expected after 7 years on the job. This is how you defend in a flat 4-4-2 which is basically what we are with Sarvas and Harkes holding a line in front of the back 4.

DCUSA, sitruc, fairfax4dc and 2 others repped this.
  8. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Ben, you won't.

Unless you're building a house of shit.

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Bravo! That was the most technically astute post I've encountered in this forum in 16 years. Can't rep it enough

fairfax4dc repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Preparation is on Chad Ashton. As I have said numerous times I have been to a few United practices. Ashton is in charge. He is running the drills. He is setting the tone. It is his vision they are playing under. Ben Olsen is overseeing it. He is responsible for it but he is not driving it. So the lack of soccer IQ falls on the players themselves and Chad Ashton. Ben is a players coach. A man manager. Not a tactician. Now Ben is at fault for keeping Ashton and his flawed coaching around but it is Ashton who is getting out coached not Ben Olsen. This is not about loyalty on my part. This is about what is actually happening.

Now as to the subs that lies on Ben for the most part. Ashton may have input but as to who goes in that is Ben. Full blame there. However again as I have stated many, many times watch what happens when a sub is made. Ben signals for the player. That player then puts on his jersey. While he is doing that Ashton is in his ear explaining to him the tactics Chad wants. Ben then pats them on he butt as they jog by and Ben says "Go get 'em!!"

So I think we know where the fault is here. We know what has to happen. The question is can Ben do what needs to be done. I think no.

You then couple that with a FO and ownership group who are real estate developers and not sports management people and you have a shit show that blows a 3 goal lead with 40 minutes left in a match.

Winoman, fairfax4dc and griffin1108 repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

100% right on the sub choices. However I doubt as I have said that Oslen was yelling, give them the middle of the park. Press for that 4th,5th and 6th goals.

12. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers! I said the same in another forum, but was told there was nothing Ben could do.

I would have moved a bit differently than you, but the idea to reinforce the wings is the same. I would have subbed NDL for Sam and Korb for Nyarko, pushing up Kemp. Regardless, Olsen had to do something instead of nothing.
    Seattle's coach said post game that United forced Seattle wide, so he countered by overloading the wings. Olsen, sadly, had no counter to that and contributed to the team's loss.

Winoman, Boloni86 and shawn12011 repped this.
  13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless it happened twice, this happened in the late 2000s because I was there. Juan Toja scored the 3rd for Dallas and I never forgot his name.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Same here, really - it just wasn't a certainty. And as somebody else said - why no subs? Obvious answer is nobody very good on the bench.

15. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what the f*(k does Olsen do then? If he is just a figurehead bump him up to the FO and get a real coach here. You want to get rid of Ashton? Fine. I am all for that. But I don't buy for a second that the buck doesn't stop at Olsen.

grumpydcu, superdave, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have been generally in agreement with Shawn about Olsen, i.e. that no other coach could do much better with these players. But on the other hand, when the owners publicly say (essentially) that the coach will keep his job no matter how bad the team performs, what kind of message does that send to the players? That their jobs are safe, too. And they may well be right if there is nobody in the squad pushing them for playing time, which is especially sad for a last place team. Pretty much all the starters SHOULD be sweating, but they aren't. These guys are professionals and you would expect them to all be fiercely competitive to get to where they are today, but maybe when you reach a certain age you just check out mentally (some players, at least - not ABMOD).

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Ah for the days of Piotr Nowak, the spankings will continue until results improve.

song219, Funkfoot, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I was watching the Seattle broadcast and even Friedel was shocked that DC isn't adjusting tactically. That guy is not exactly the sharpest soccer observer. You know it's bad when Friedel is seeing things that our bench isn't seeing.

sitruc repped this.
  19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

I know you say this to defend Olsen, but it's having the opposite effect. If after 7 years Olsen isn't driving the preparation in practice, we're in trouble. I've heard famous coaches say that almost all the impact a coach can have on a team is between games during practice. If Ben isn't willing or able, then we need someone new. The assistant should not be the primary tactical point of reference in practice.

grumpydcu repped this.
  20. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought MacTavish said the same, about three times. All I can think is Olsen was scared to play DeLeon on turf. If that's the case, leave him home and bring OA. It's a botch no matter how it worked out.

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about results, right? If the team is dominant, no one cares if he's coaching the team from Cancun and says let Chad handle it. But where they're at, it can only be on Olsen as far as the coaches go.
    I do think there is too much comfort with nothing at stake. There is nothing driving change, so no change occurs. The owners are relying on Olsen's competitive nature as the only spark to ignite the team. There is no external pressure, they don't even care if fans are furious and don't show.

22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The buck does stop with Ben because he is sitting in the Captains chair but he is not the one doing to piss poor work.

23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I say it because it is what I have seen with my own two eyes. I agree he should be the driving force but he is not. I also refer back to my past comments ok so you fire Ben, who are you bringing in. And "anyone" is not a satisfactory answer. If that is the case give me the job.

24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    "Name one single replacement for this USL quality coach. Give me your best answers hotshots!"

shawn12011 repped this.
  25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I challenge you all to tell me a single player we could replace Franklin or DeLeon within the Milky Way galaxy. Come on, im listening, no names huh? Hah owned scrubs, no one exists.

superdave and shawn12011 repped this.