News: DCU Benefit Auction to Kick Cancer's Ass for Big Rob

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeSoccerFan, Jun 26, 2018.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I looked around the DCU forum, wow it really has changed, and I didn't see a relevant thread. Hopefully, the DCU overlords allow this thread here since the original jackbooted fascist (years before it came into fashion) mods (e.g., Knave and Rev) have been ousted!

DCU is sponsoring a benefit auction for Big Rob in case you haven't seen it. He has a huge hospital bill to continue to get much needed cancer treatment. Here's the link for https://www.dcunited.com/node/28166?utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter go down half a page to the www.dcu.givesmart.com link to create an account. Auction ends June 27th at 8pm - don't sleep on this one.

Right now, there are signed jerseys from Giovinco (2 of them), Ibrahimovic, Dempsey, Schweinsteiger, Villa, Arriola and Durkin.

Durkin
    is going to be a star - as you guys have seen this year. But I saw him a few years back at an Academy match and he was a differentiator. He was dominant for the US in the CONCACAF U17 and FIFA U17 last year. Years from now, we'll be talking about Durkin while these other names may be easily forgotten (Ibra who?).

Big kudos and credit for DCU for sponsoring this auction and for Dave K calling around the league for these signed jerseys. Now, if he can just get a LB that doesn't get injured or beaten - I still think DK should have drafted Segares from VCU in 2005 instead of Nick Van Sicklen - but I'm trying to not hold a grudge! :)

My understanding is that the supporter groups are putting their differences aside to support Rob - I hope this is true. He's been a beacon of leadership for many years and a good guy to all the groups.

If you can't get one of these signed jerseys, Barra Brava is holding a watch party with more raffles and auctions on Saturday at Finn McCools to benefit Big Rob on June 30 starting at 6pm (not sure if it's gringo time!). Here's the information on that one. Here's some items that will be available, supported by Big Rob and Bobby Boswell's closets: http://barrabrava.mybigcommerce.com/bobby-boswells-closet/

If you already have too much gear and your loved one will give you crap for bringing home one more thing, here's an easy way by eliminating the middleman and just giving cash:
    https://www.youcaring.com/robertgillespie-964895

Big Rob is very thankful for any support that you can provide. Dig deep. Demonstrate what the DCU community used to be about - helping each other.

TowsonDad, dadman, Winoman and 8 others repped this.
  2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    There will be some GREAT items at the watch party.
    We will have couple of signed posters, signed balls, some other special signed jerseys, along with a most awesome donation from Stephen Zack...
    1996 signed all star jersey framed.

Even if you are not Barra, or supporters group, please join us, all the help we can get to Big Rob is worth it no matter how little the donation.

fatbastard, dadman, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Pauly - will credit cards be accepted?

4. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes.....
    Are you going to be able to make it? Would be great to see you

5. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Sadly I drink too much and am not eligible :(

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The auction on DCU's site is over $2700 now.

David Villa is the big winner; Giovani is the lowest bid right now. Durkin and Arriola are at $320 and $350, respectively.

JoeSoccerFan and Winoman repped this.
  7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Not bad, just around $3K. Congrats all bidders and winners. Unfortunately, I was outbid for the jersey that I wanted - but I look forward to bidding for some gear on Saturday.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.