PBP: DC vs. the Sounders of Seattle

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Sep 21, 2019.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Except that Mora's windup to deliver a cross doesn't have to be measured on geologic time scales. :D

fatbastard, dadman, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Right, I was trying to contrast mine with both of you guys' opinions. He was there to run out the clock and rest Rooney. He ran out the clock and rested Rooney. He was effective in the same way Amarikwa was, or the same way you could have expected from say a Segura if brought on late to hold a lead.

Winoman repped this.
  3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I was thinking about this last night. We got off to a good start this year, but the season went to shit when he got injured. Now he's back, and we are playing well again. Agree that the back 6 played last night is pretty solid. So long as the other 4 guys can score, we are in pretty good shape.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Joseph Mora in many ways is a team MVP. His steadiness allows other players to take risks.

fatbastard, Dizi, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I'll agree that I come from a different era with respect to how I evaluate a players performance in that I trust what I see versus the spreadsheet says. I see a star player laying an egg, finally getting benched and shows little fire, passion or offensive initiative to show that he wants to get back in the 11. Yes, he's there to hold a lead, but I didn't see him aggressively pressing anyone, not even once. He was out there for 20 minutes to collect a game check. That's what I saw. When I played in high school and college, a benching meant something, not play out the string and wait for next season. By your pure statistical measure you must feel he's earned more than 20 minutes of garbage time right? Those #s are impressive by themselves.

7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief.

BassNFool and Rick77 repped this.
  8. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Joseph Mora's first match with United. He introduced himself with a perfect slide tackle. I knew then he would be a good addition.

I'm a bit conflicted by Jara being out of the starting lineup. Yeah, I guess Canouse may be a superior defender but Jara brought Segura-like attacking skills. But he faded late in matches, and no, he doesn't match Segura on offense. And when, if, Arriola returns to the right wing I think Canouse will always be the choice at RB.

10. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If last night was Benny Ball, give me more of it!! Won possession, had more dangerous opportunities, defense looked solid, the team looked fluid passing in possession... I will take it.

bigredfutbol, Magikfute and Winoman repped this.
  11. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    ESPN's crawl is reporting that 7 Sounders fans were assaulted by DCU supporters after the match. :eek:
    Police are investigating.
    Not good. :(

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'll make a confession. I can't maintain my dislike of Felipe.

stangspritzring, sitruc, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, isn't it better to have him with us than against us? Think how many serious injuries we avoid this way.

marks7mb repped this.
  14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike Carlos Ruiz, Felipe has actually made a difference for DC United.

Is United fielding its truly best possible XI with him on the pitch? Maybe. I don't know. But is it working with him on the field? Absolutely.

stangspritzring, sitruc and UnitedBorn repped this.
  15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    You don't field your best possible and most talented XI. You field the best players in the positions that you need on the field.

16. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He brings 100% every time which I give him credit for. He allows us to deploy Canouse at right back which is working well

stangspritzring, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been underwhelmed with Felipe personally and I still think he can suck a tailpipe but I appreciate that he represents the full realization of Bennyball.

fatbastard, UnitedBorn and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you watched him closely Sunday you would have seen that he wasn't just a defensive traffic cone. He roamed the field and sent the ball forward many a time.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You should understand that I despise Felipe as a human.

The fact that I now recognize his humanity is purely a function of his passably decent play for DC United.

Funkfoot and UnitedBorn repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So, is Felipe the second coming of the "the Wanker?"

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And, while we're on the subject, Bobby Boswell, Mike Petke, Dema Kovalenko & Ben Olsen were no angels on defense either -- although neither of them ever caused serious injury to another player to the best of my knowledge. Felipe arguably fits into that category of players that you hate to play against but deal with it when he's on your side. Admittedly, he's a borderline case. But, he's probably no dirtier now than Hristo Stoichkov was back in the day.

22. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I mean, Dema did ....Brandon Pollard of the Burn, IIRC.

griffin1108 repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still maintain Dema's tackle on that play was fine, the follow-thru of Pollard's leg was the problem - if Dema had less manly leg bones, he would have been injured instead.
    IOW, that guy broke his leg kicking Dema.

But my memory is hazy. Still, that's my story and I'm sticking with it ;)

Hristo is still the DCU player I have hated the most - of only a tiny few.

Felipe hasn't completely won me over yet, but I appreciate his attitude and hard work. And he loves the fans, you have to like that.

My most-hated MLS player of all time is probably still Danny Pena. For reasons I barley remember, Giovanni Savarese is right up there too and now he's in management so I can hate him more.

Winoman, stangspritzring and Funkfoot repped this.
  24. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    you wouldnt put Serna or Dancy in that group?

25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My most hated MLS player of all time is Tony Meola. It was personal between us. We played in a soccer tournament in Oneonta, NY back when we were kids. He was a jerk off then and is still today. I am glad I made his life miserable in the nets at RFK. The coward would go hide up at the top of the box when he was on my end of the pitch.

TowsonDad, bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.