Pre-match: DC United vs. Sporking Kansas City - Home Opener

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greatscott, Mar 5, 2012.

1. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

2. DC_United_4_Me

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    There are a couple of things that bother me about those who are saying, "be patient, this team will 'click' eventually." Obviously we've heard it before, and it seems to lack objectivity in analysis!

I'm assuming many on these boards played various sports. What game were you most pumped up for during the entire year, other than a possible championship game? What game were you more mentally prepared for? The home opener!

SKC looked like a team that hadn't clicked. They were the team barely missing the passing. Their shots on goal were right at Hamid, or just off enough for him to make the save. On the other hand, DC United looked like a team that had some severe gaps.

As mentioned, some of the young starters will now be missing for a couple of games. That's more holes. As those holes get filled through chemistry, what happens when the young players return? You rebuild the chemistry, again?

Already this version of this team is on notice in my book. That being said, "Vamos United!"

3. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just rewatched the first half. when i watched it live i didn't notice how badly Kamara was destroying Woolard, probably because Bmac or Kitchen had his back. or maybe i'm blind, i dunno, it was bad. he has to go.

Offensively whenever it looked like we had a break or a good build and the play went through boskovic he would lose it every time. he was a black hole of possession. he has to go or vastly improve and fast.

the rest of the team looked like a good mls side. Salihi was great, every time he touched the ball he did something positive. put Santos up there with him (this board seems to like pontius at striker but who would play LM? not sold on Cruz.) and slide De Ro back to attacking mid and we're in business.

also rewatching it was very clear that the long ball from the CBs was by design. kitchen and the outside backs would push up where they couldn't receive a ground ball. mcdonald was just doing what he was told, and jakovic did the same thing so i don't know why everyone is trashing 4 and praising 5. that's on olsen, although it did almost work a couple of times.

4. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It Takes More team? :)

5. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading about the cohesiveness issues - sure I'll buy that. But question: (Knave will have the answer) how many games can you cede and still make the playoffs (statically)?

Because I do not think the staff is under any illusion that they are going to get 8 to 12 points over the next few weeks. 3 to 6 maybe. I think they feel they can sacrifice these games to let the team "gel" and still make the playoffs.

6. NOMAS

NOMAS New Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree with this and I see the logic in Olsen's thinking...if KC is going to put us under constant high pressure then let's break it by isolating their center backs and stretching them. The only problem with that thinking is we don't have a player with the pace, strength and size to beat KC's center backs in that fashion. I'm no expert but it seems to me with our lineup the better strategy would have been to pack the midfield and keep the ball. Probably an over-simplification of the issues at work, but then again, its a reaction to what happened. I think some of this is just Olsen being young and inexperienced. It will be interesting to see what DCU does the next time they play KC.

7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Yeah, just tell Bosky/Kitchen (and Wolff?) - "hey, be like Xavi."

If DCU wants to be a "possession team" they need to trade a lot of guys. With a young defender playing mid in front of a slow backline (that needs to drop deep - so can't support the midfield in possession), and quick wingers - this is a team created to counter down the flanks/play off long balls to a target forward. Unfortunately Salahi is more of a poacher than a target guy, Boski is not very effective in creating with the forwards, and Najar/Pontius aren't necessarily Ashley Young types who can unlock a defense with creativity (and they don't have 3-4 guys flooding the penalty area every time they run at defenders).

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First thing I thought when they posted the lineup. How much better can it be? Two players coming off major injuries? Two others missing a good portion of pre-season? And probably the most important game of pre-season gets cancelled?

It unfolded kinda how I expected. They looked pretty awful. Primarily we weren't ready for the constant forward pressure. Pretty much every part of the team failed except Hamid. The defense was too slow and labored, could not hold the ball, the midfield didn't connect or hold the ball, neither Boskovic or Kitchen were hardly ever in the right place at the necessary time. Najar may have earned himself a 5, Hamid a 6, and everyone else a 4.

There was one pretty impressive sequence I thought in the second half where someone on the left at about 35 yards dribbled through about 4 guys, anyone know who that was?

I lurked 2 years.

9. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that Jakovic who almost got to the box and no one was up there?

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the lack of midfield play has certainly been talked about to death here, but there are still two things that, year over year for the past several years, United does that it shouldn't.

First and foremost, the players' movements off the ball are horrible. Exceptions last night were Najar, Pontius, Salihi and Kitchen. Surprisingly even DeRo's off-the-ball movement was kinda flat. Small wonder there was so much long ball, because there was almost never anyone in a position to receive anything but a flat- or back pass or a hopeful over-the-top to the wings.

Related to that, too many people spend too much time waiting for the ball to come to them. I began to lose count of the number of times a United player was standing there waiting for a ball to arrive only to see it stripped or intercepted by a running fKCer.

Still annoying is that Hamid hasn't been coached on the quick long release to our wings/strikers after making a save. In a game where we had so few opportunities, I think a few of those chances woulda been nice to try.

If we can resolve the black-hole midfield problem, I think we'll be in better shape. I think we had things click a little better when Wolff stepped on the pitch, but at that point it was too little too late.

11. Tweaked

Tweaked Member

Jan 30, 2003
    The Hill
    Only 33 more games until the off-season (and DCU misses the playoffs again)

So many new players, so much like last year. Uninspired attack. No creativity through midfield. Soft late goal. No points.

12. Dragon Man

Dragon Man New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I am new to BS and DC United soccer but you guys have a really inspiring team. In particular, I really like your goal keeper. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and should keep you in many matches.

13. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think giving up a goal in the 90th minute is all that inspiring.

You should change your screen name to "Glass Half Full."

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQLOWwQ801Y"]LSP Member's Club Reaction to CJ Sapong's Goal - YouTube[/ame]

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Dragon Man, and welcome. Bill Hamid (GK), who at 21 is good, is still prone to youthful errors. He is a terrific shot-stopper, but still needs to work on organizing his defense, as well as his distribution of the ball. He does have a full NT cap for the USA, and is expected to be the #1 GK if the USA qualifies for the Olympics in London.

A lot of folks on this board are almost ground-down from the weight of multiple bad seasons, and a seemingly endless quest for a new stadium. Although DC had a bad opening match, we're all hoping the team can gel in the next few matches, and not continue the downward spiral.

PS: Congratulations to Swansea City for sticking a finger in the eye of Manchester City!

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to look at it again, but I don't think being beaten by an uncontested header is on Hamid. "Giving up a goal" is on the team.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dragon Man said the team was inspiring, not Hamid.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't feel the need to blame any one person, but I'm curious why there wasn't a defender on the near post.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Harkes said the same thing.

20. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say "Kevin Hartman ate him"; but then I remembered that he doesn't play for KC anymore. Then I thought "Tony Meola ate him"; but he *really* doesn't play for KC anymore.

I don't know what happened.

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I do, 2011-itis set in and they thought the game was over when it clearly wasn't.

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Was Robbie Russell nearby?

23. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    There was a defender on the near post. The goal was scored next the far post. It is almost universal that a defender takes the near post. Covering the far post is optional for goalkeepers.

Should Hamid have put someone on the far post? Obviously my hindsight is 20/20, but in extra time with a tied score I think it is the safe thing to do.

24. JoseP

JoseP Member

Apr 11, 2002
    There was a defender on the near post. The goal was scored next to the far post. It is almost universal that a defender takes the near post. Covering the far post is optional for goalkeepers.

Should Hamid have put someone on the far post? Obviously my hindsight is 20/20, but in extra time with a tied score I think it is the safe thing to do.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're correct; I wasn't reading carefully enough.