Alert: DC United v Montreal Impact 8/24 7:30pm

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Aug 24, 2016.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    TV: NewsChannel 8

Last game against Impact was 1-1.

Oveki8 repped this.
  2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upset of 2016

DC - 3
    MTL - 1

Very interested in seeing who plays in this game as Ben has said we'll test our bench.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I watched the Montreal game last weekend. They are not the most physical team in the league. With the likes of Drogba, Donadel, Bernier, Mancosu and Piatti they're not going to press high up the field. Our key is to not give the ball away cheaply. If we can't hold possession they're more than happy to keep the ball and break us down. Without the ball they're a below average MLS team with some real holes in defense

4. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like where your head is at, but with Montreal having been surprised by Chicago at home last weekend, I just don't see it happening tonight. I don't expect Montreal to blow us out, but I think they'll be clinical and it won't be close.

I think 2-0 in favor of the French-lite.

I'd prefer you be right, though.

Winoman repped this.
  5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  6. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, either the excitement for the game in this thread is palpable or I don't know the definition of the word, "palpable."

NicktheGreek repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right! Six entries, and no cute animal! I think it's fair to say expectations are, umm, low.

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You know what those Quebecers do to cute animals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fatbastard, Winoman and DangSkippy repped this.
  9. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Haha! Ah, good times! Brought back a memory of my one and only shot at being part of a national soccer podcast! I was a guest DC "analyst" and asked about a recent win streak (yes, it was quite a while ago!) and I replied something like while it was a good streak of results our opponents had been pretty weak, the last win coming against the Metrostars. I was going for a joke when I equated that win to "clubbing baby seals" in terms of it's difficulty for DC historically. Dead silence....Yep, crickets until the host said something about my lack of couth. He later told me he was a member of PETA and he couldn't in good conscience not reprimand me for the comment and thanks for coming on the show. I never got called again.

Oh well. Hoisted by my own PETArd so to speak.

And yes, the enthusiasm is rampant on these boards today. Although perhaps they were like me and forgot the game was tonite until earlier this morning.

My .02 is we got no chance. Their loss to the Fire is one reason and Drogba and Piatti are a few more. I do agree that their defense is a bit suspect, but then again so is our offense. Seems like the last two trips up their we overachieved. Once we totally stole 3 points on a single shot taken, and another time Drogba hung a brace on us almost casually before we tightened up the bolts to only lose 3-0 I believe. Both times better than we deserved, so who knows, maybe third time's a charm.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  10. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    S' ********!?!

I thought we were playing north of the border! :D

ps-of course Drogba may be going after Sarvas after he broke his nose last game they met! :)

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    My mom called me and asked about the game. Although I was already subscribed to this thread, I was sure she was wrong until I looked up the schedule. I guess there is a game soon. It sucks that this will be part of why my night sucks.

12. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Older guys are going to feel it in their legs in the second half if they played on Sunday. I would keep Opare warmed up to come in for Boswell. It's too bad we're not going to play the 11 that played Sunday because if this weren't a midweek game we'd win with that line-up. Neagle and Deleon are just the death of us.... hope to see me some Igbo.

13. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Whoa. Boswell didn't even make the trip! Acosta out. Incredible to start Vincent, Bushcer and DeLeon. Hope this sh1t works.

Starting XI: Hamid; Mishu, Opare, Birnbaum, Franklin; Vincent; Nyarko, Büscher, DeLeon, Neagle; Igboananike

Subs: Worra, Kemp, Robinson, Marcelo, Mullins Acosta, Saborío

Winoman repped this.
  14. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    Wow, they better overachieve or Montreal underachieve or DC are doomed. Basically Montreal's starters and they have every reason to shred DC's central midfield and defense.

Fingers crossed, but this has the makings of a bloodbath.

15. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Ben is really going to "test our bench" against a full-strength MTL, this gets ugly fast. 4-0 to the bad.

16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really - we are midseason team and can't have starters play 3 games in 10 days?

james

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is everyone in Montreal?

<crickets>

18. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Can anyone translate Canadian? What exactly does "Fukcuered" mean?

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    wow. Didn't see that coming.

Given the lineups I figured there was a good chance of a bloodbath.

20. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    3 games in 7 days

21. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of those penalties that suck to give up but you can't really argue about. Glad it's for us!

22. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Not bad for what basically amounts to the B team! :)

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still - most top CL and EL teams do that regularly and don't rest half of their team. I guess it is more of an indictment as to the quality of the league. Usually this is seen in league cup matches against lower division opponents. Perhaps are starters are only MLS fit and not USMNT fit ;)

james

24. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I do tend to agree that the defenders at least should be able to handle the schedule, but I will say the travel here in the US is really more the problem more than the actual days of rest between games. These guys are pretty high class athletes and two 5 hour plane flights and border crossings and whatnot between games are legitimately hard to endure for some of these guys. You see it in Champions League too by the way when travel is excessive. And one other consideration is the level of pay these guys have to use to prepare for the stress their bodies face. Multi-millionaire players in Europe have many more resources and supplementation than guys in the US making a median income of about 80-100K.

That said, the boys are actually getting it done. These kids are alright. Hamid snuffs out Piatti and Buscher with a wicked tackle on Piatti and we get a fairly well deserved PK. Opare and Birnbaum looking pretty good against Drogba too. 1-0 is a huge overachievement so far.

Fingers crossed.

25. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    "Well deserved PK." Ehhhhhhhh We got it, let's be happy. That was a Charlie Davies special

Q*bert Jones III repped this.