News: DC United: Pre-season thread:

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    When a player with potential doesn't seem to improve, he gets moved back to fullback (see Chris Albright). When he doesn't improve as a fullback, he rides pine. When he has Kompromat, he's Nick Deleon.

D C B 2 3, Eastern Bear and griffin1108 repped this.
  2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explain, please.

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Russian term for possession of compromising evidence against another.

Dizi repped this.
  4. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    There is no other explanation for why NDL is a starter. Perhaps he would start in USL but not in MLS. Everyone except the coach sees it.

JRHokie, Theopisa, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that, but how does it apply to Nicky? Does he start because he has pix of Ben with a sheep?

6. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    No idea. But if anyone has a better explanation please offer it. I have watched game after game NDLs every decision, every first touch and he is awful. By far the worst player on the team last year and this year so far.

JRHokie and benni... repped this.
  7. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you assume that Mattocks will play himself out of the lineup? He's looked better than Mullins so far.

Mattocks has scored or assisted in ever pre-season game but is now some bad guy hated by the board because he missed Arriola twice. The same guy who a couple days earlier passed the ball to a wide open Lucho who scored vs Jacksonville instead of continuing to try for himself.

Sanguine and Heist repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think you've got this Board nailed.

9. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said he should be benched or he was a bad guy...just that those 2 plays in particular were awful IMO on both execution and decision making. He'd be my starter right now.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying not to read too much into the scoring output in preseason, because I think the chances are going to be much fewer and farther between once the season starts. The passing display was fairly impressive in this game – if DC could play a full season against USL teams, Arriola would smash the assists record and Mattocks and Mullins would both be 15-goal scorers. Unfortunately, there's no way this midfield gets the kind of time on the ball they had against LV once they're playing MLS competition. They got away with a lot of poor first touches and sloppy passes on Saturday that any decent MLS team will punish.

11. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's pretty terrible dealing with high balls, but I disagree with you on the rest of it. He's good in tight spaces, can ride out a challenge and he completes his passes at a high rate (for this team, at least). That's why he's still on the field. Once Kemp gets healthy, I think Fisher takes his spot, though.

Boloni86, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch the game, but other posters have said LV employed a high press...wouldn't that indicate that time on the ball was already low? I did see them get away with a couple bad plays in the highlights, but because LV would turn it right back or never fully gain possession.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally watched the game ... an excellent use of company bandwidth on a Monday.

I would rate the starting defenders in the LV game:
    1. Fisher
    18. Brillant
    19. Birnbaum
    27. DeLeon

We are still awful in the air in the back, we are still especially easily susceptible to a high ball that splits the 2 CBs.

Our offense looked better, but again were stripped too easily in the middle - might be tired legs from training plus playing - but I assume they'll practice this week and the season starts Saturday. Lucho should be rested for the Hotlanta game.

Best part of the LV game I thought was the fact that they award The Hardest Working Player for the game rather than MOTM because it's sponsored by the International Laborers Union. Made my heart happy.
    I was going to say the announcers were good, but then the dude let loose with his Go.....al scream and I had to deduct points for the entire broadcast :)

Winoman repped this.
  14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's where I begin to believe what Olsen is saying regarding his roster. It makes the Asad acquisition make sense in a slightly contorted way. It's the only way anything make sense to me.

Keeper: Ousted and Clarke battle it out
    Fullback: gets no respect in Olsen's world, but Fischer, DeLeon, and Kemp will battle, but not to the level of other positions
    Centerback: gets no respect in Olsen's world, but Brilliant and Birnbaum will get somewhat tested by Robinson and Opara
    Dmid: Durkin, Moreno and Canouse battle it out
    Box to Box: Segura, Moreno, and Harkes battle it out
    Attacking Mid (3 spots): Asad, Arriola, Acosta, Segura and Stieber battle it out
    Striker: Mattox and Mullins battle it out. Maybe some fight from Miranda.

Anyway, each position (except fullback and center back) genuinely has a competition each week. If you had a stud striker in here like Kamara (instead of Asad) you could have some complacency set in for starting spots. Let's say, for argument's sake, that complacency reduces the output of your midfield and striker positions by 15%.

If that's true, Kamara needs to improve the overall performance of the attacking midfield and striker positions by at least 16% in order to create value for the squad. An Asad-less DCU means no competition for the attacking midfield spots and striker spots. If you believe in competition improving performance Olsen may see the percentages working in his favor. On the face, it makes sense and follows the thinking behind most moneyball organizations. It provides me with a little hope at least. We just need the improved competition to be better than a DP striker combined with assumed complacency associated with limited competition in the attack.

Key assumption: While Mattocks and Mullins are not as good as Kamara, their output based on competition is close enough while the increased competition in midfield among a top quality crew will significantly improve the overall output of attacking midfielders and the attack overall.

* Please note that I will not be posting another positive thing about Olsen until my court mandated requirement next month.

NicktheGreek, fatbastard and DCUSA repped this.
  15. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but it was definitely not an MLS-quality press. There was enough time for the midfield to send some good through balls to spring the strikers and get Arriola loose on the wing to wreak havoc. There won't be as much time to pick out those kind of passes once the MLS season begins.

NicktheGreek, Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Jordan Morris is out for the season and Lagerwey is talking about replacing him with a DP if necessary. I wonder if they would be open to a trade to get some salary off their books. I've always hated Will Bruin. Would really rather see him in black and red than scoring against us. Chad Marshall is over the hill, but he'd be more of a presence in the back than anyone else presently on our roster. And it seems likely the price of an international slot just went up.

17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he just tries really hard and Olsen uses him as evidence that hard work pays off?

I’ll show myself out.

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Why would he want to blackmail a sheep?

Adler, mosca and GumbyG repped this.
  19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude if I was pr0ner I would tell you that this news has already been posted and that you are not reading the threads carefully. But since I am not him, I won't tell you that

Winoman, benni... and GumbyG repped this.
  20. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies! Normally, I would have responded that I thought as of 6:30 PM yesterday it was news that he'd been DLd for the entire 2018 season, and that it would make sense to post that in this particular thread to discuss how we might use the situation to our advantage. I also should have linked. But I won't.

I appreciate you not telling me. ;)

benni..., Winoman and BassNFool repped this.
  21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Enjoys pulling the wool over people's eyes.
    2) He's a Baaaaad boy.
    3) For the shear fun of it.

Speaking of blackmail, it doesn't have to end there, people. Small bills into a numbered account.

Dizi, Winoman, griffin1108 and 3 others repped this.
  22. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    We saw it with Sarvas, too. Why was he out there?

Dizi and JRHokie repped this.
  23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll field that, too. :D

Because we went to a 4231 in a vain attempt to shore up a leaky defense, and Harkes is a terrible 6. Sarvas did the defensive work and his linking play was needed, what with trying to break in Stieber and Arriola. Alternative? Jarred Jeffrey, who consistently proves with his play that he's a better 8 than a 6. He's just too heavy in the tackle and doesn't stay home. Durkin was out of the picture with the U-17s for most of that time, but even so, I don't think we ever intended to play him last year. I think the plan was always to keep it simple for him - Richmond was his team and then he went off to play with the U-17s.

Now I'd argue with the 4231 strategy, but as far as I can tell, that's why we played Sarvas.

fatbastard and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  24. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the Durkin being sold rumors being discussed on the yet-to-start-so-irrelevent 2018 season thread:

(it's a 3-tweet thread, not sure what will show up if I copied one of the other two - but let's find out)

Basically he turned 18 after window closed so may be delayed until summer, or may not happen at all - aka the usual

sitruc, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.