Pre-match: DC United - Orlando City 24 September 2016

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DangSkippy, Sep 22, 2016.

1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously hate Stoica. That we had three yellows (all for the player's first fouls) before they saw their first card was practically criminal. Every game I watch that he centers, not just United, gets ugly fast. I'm actually surprised Ben didn't get sent off. It's exactly the kind of game he would. :D

sitruc, Real Mobile and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen went against script and brought on Buescher when Sarvas got hurt, instead of shifting DeLeon. It took all season, but it looks like Buescher has earned Benny's trust (that was a huge game today), and Olsen also didn't knee jerk the 'safe' play. That's progress.
    Rob Vincent is the starting DM, and that's okay. Weird, right?

United has an offense now. Get the ball to Acosta and a bunch of guys make runs. It works!

DeLeon at right back, I'm a doubter, but rooting for a Najaresque revelation.

sitruc, JRHokie, Hedbal and 3 others repped this.
  3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Acosta is great -- I also think he is going to be a liability if we get into the playoffs. Other teams have figured out of they keep pestering the little man he is going to lose his cool. I was surprised he didn't get sent off last night. I was certain he was headed for a second yellow.

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Don't be so sure, the almightly $ rules and if there's a buck in it guess what suffers?

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also looked tired and carrying some kind of minor knock for the last 30 min of the game. No idea why we didn't sub him off. Hopefully he's not actually injured and has enough gas for Wednesday. Will likely be a tough game vs. a resurgent crew, but one we absolutely need to win to keep ourselves in good shape for the playoffs with 2 really tough games coming after it.

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with you overall, in this case, it wasn't "pestering", it was a clear yellow or red that wasn't given for the elbow he took 10-15 seconds before he got his deserved yellow. Ref was ok overall, but he very much blew that one.

jason1551 repped this.
  7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume we'll have some college soccer or football at Buzzard point. Hopefully not just a couple days before our own game and hopefully we'll know what we have to cover up or not.

sitruc repped this.
  8. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree. When the quiet side is booing the ref 15 minutes into the game, it's generally not a good performance. When they all start pointing, too, it's pretty clear things have gone tits up. :D

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they allow college football at Buzzard Point, I'll lead the mob with torches to burn it down. If colleges want to play football, they can build their own field.

Allowing that shit to continue in our house is a heresy that will not be tolerated.

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might let the team know this. Just be prepared with your torches too. Not sure how well steel burns though. I assume there will be some cfb games but hopefully they'll be rare.
    I'm pretty sure this missed call was the one we were booing. I was on the quiet side.

sitruc repped this.
  11. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Dang, man...got any Powerball numbers for me?

"Turn off the signature, Tapatalk." "I'm sorry, Ed, I'm afraid I can't do that."

12. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    That was sweet!

13. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    DeLeon at right back is the answer! :D

Winoman repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't rep this post, Freddy will replace Acosta.

fatbastard repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Kaka was on the field for 64 minutes. No, I'm serious. He was.

sitruc, song219 and asitis repped this.
  16. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    FTFY - Franklin has made many mistakes this season while NOT injured.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, he's pretty tall. Otherwise, I didn't notice him.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

One of the worst things a Ref can do (besides not protecting the GK and inconsistency) is glaring at and turning around and jawing with players you just whistled for a foul. And this is what that jerk did nearly every time. Just look at the ball placement for resumption of play, make sure there isn't any undo infringement, glance up field to see who might be bumping into whom, etc. And get on with the fracking game.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't usually complain about a referee, but that guy last night was shockingly bad. If MLS allows that level of "physicality," it will always be a second rate league.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announced attendance was almost 26,000. Buzzard Point capacity is about 19,000 IIRC. Discuss.

sitruc and ImNumberTen repped this.
  21. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Has a final determination been made? I thought it was still undecided.
    I was thinking about that yesterday as well. If a middling team in a playoff race could attract almost 26K, what would a good team in a shiny new stadium bring in? I wonder if anyone is really paying attention. The Powers that Be should, at least, notice an increase in game day revenue.:rolleyes:
    Sigh. . .again.

asitis

sitruc repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    They're still going to build under the 25/26K mark. That will create a demand for tickets.

But last night was an anomaly:

The Nationals were out of town. The bigger college football games were already televised. The weather was nice (for once!). And a beloved soccer god (even one past his prime) was in town.

23. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get ready to pay even more than you were already expecting for tickets in the new stadium! (Also, in standard econ theory limiting supply doesn't "create" new demand. Does let you jack up prices, however, everything else being equal.)

Winoman and superdave repped this.
  24. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Actually, NO. He was adequate, but hardly "The Answer". So many, many of his clearances, particularly in the first half, were straight back to Orlando players. And in all of these he had to time to look up and aim where he was going with the ball.

I value Defenders who step up to win a contested long pass and instantly are looking for an open teammate for a pass. Nick still doesn't do this at all. And he's been a Midfielder when this is even more critical. And as a 1v1 Defender or part of a 2v2 situation, he was less than adequate

OK. RB (or LB) is the best kind of position for him if you want him as a starter. But that certainly doesn't mean he's "The Answer".

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First point... I think about 21k people were actually there.
    Second point... Buzzard point I thought was around 19-20k depending on the standing room options.
    The atmosphere was awesome last night! Would have been even better in a soccer stadium.
    I can't wait for Buzzard Point!