DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Piggybacking on this, are you not going to be allowed to stand in the supporters section? I know there’s been no “safe standing” implemented, but how is this aspect going to shake out when the notoriously soft-legged SE supporters start the complaints about people standing in front of them?

Thx,

Jay!

greatscott repped this.
  2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee they did not meet their season ticket goals, really!! Who could have seen that coming.

3. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    We told them in the meetings, MOST SG members are day of, they were like demand will make them STH, we said nope. They really believed they could turn them all into it, ha this FO is now learning what we told them years ago.

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arrogance : an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

Eastern Bear, TowsonDad and song219 repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess I am just too naïve. I am going to use the tickets - no sense cutting off my nose to spite my face - but I am no longer a DCU supporter. I am not going to buy any more tickets, bring other people to games, wear DC United gear around town. The SE gear is already in the Goodwill pile, the DCU license plate holder is coming off the car. I will not support any DCU sponsors, including pupusa king Jose Andres (I love Jaleo, but sorry...). I will not be led around like a sheep. I will go to the games in plain clothing - gray would be a nice choice - and I will golf clap if a miracle happens and the team scores a goal. And I will not spend another nickel inside the stadium. This is how I treat businesses that rip me off.

I guess DCU didn't see this coming...

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    And they can go fvck right off. I am done with them. I don't need the Dan Snyder experience.

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    This is sad to hear. I’ve been growing disallusioned as well over the past few seasons but I really dont think I’m there, yet. Good luck to you and yours.

Thx,

Jay!

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I know I am in the minority here, but for me the whole SG experience has gotten less fun over the years. I don't mind standing up to watch the game, but over the years the BB has gotten so white bread it just isn't edgy or exciting at all - just annoying, being yelled at for not singing the lullabies loud enough. The pregame party was awesome, but inside the stadium - meh. But regardless of how I feel about the SGs these days, what the team did is just wrong.

9. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    It wasn't the Barra that wanted to cut back on the ingame, the FO forced us. They threatened to kick us out several times, bans for people, more CSC presence, no playoff ticket sales etc. of course now this came and well, they did it to us without working with us.

Trust me I miss the edgy Barra and want it back!!!

10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you don’t mind getting in to it, what exactly did they make you cut back on in-game?

11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Sadly the FO's arrogance pales in comparison to the National Standard. They are f'd up for sure but not even in 4th division for this town

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Smoking in sections, 100s you didn't used to need a section ticket, the threatening of no banners flags and drums on anything, smokebombs were always looked the other way under KP, all tifo had to be approved by the FO or not allowed. That's just some.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Part of it is called getting older.

Theopisa, Boloni86 and dcchelseafc repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Boycotting Jaleo is harsh, but when there's war there's pain.

Funkfoot repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    A terrible band name.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My DC United license plates have the old (well, second) logo on them. Might as well change them to normal Maryland plates.

TowsonDad repped this.
  17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Came across this little article today ... https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/13/see-which-teams-have-signed-gamers-compete-2018-emls-cup

So DC United is not participating in an event that 19 other MLS clubs are participating in. Our FO is so lame. It's like they're either not trying, are totally incompetent or both.

These are just simple no brainers. It's marketing and sales basics. A business is not supposed to miss opportunities to market itself and network with new potential customers. How hard (and expensive) can it be to hire a local kid and fly him to these gaming tournaments?

It amazes me how this club manages to drop the ball on one thing after another.

Winoman, sitruc and Dizi repped this.
  18. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time I was in the Barra I was definitely confused as to why someone was angrily screaming at me and a few people to "SING LOUDERRR". Like with real hate.

19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    For once I think they'd be right. Soccer is a real sport supporting a bunch of couch potato gamers flys in the face of game. Of course I won't credit them for seeing it that way, they most likely just f'd up

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I thought I remembered a mention of esports somewhere in one of these threads, but I may have imagined it. I could have sworn I saw an announcement about Baltimore the same day that a big tournament was being hosted at the DC Armory, but it's difficult to find any useful results when using searching for Baltimore esports. For some reason, searches think that is a spelling mistake.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No doubt. But those who know me will attest that I was a grumpy old man before I was actually old. :) I have mixed feelings about the "edgy" part. I remember way back in the day, someone asked here "What happened to that guy who was bleeding in the tunnel after the game? It looked like he was cut pretty bad." People joked about "bleeding man" for weeks after that. I don't miss that kind of edgy. On the other hand, I once "offered" some donuts to Tony Meola (back when La Norte was behind the goal). That was amusing. When we first joined the BB, my wife was afraid and people thought we were nuts to bring our kids into the section. Nothing scary about the BB now. Not that it should be scary. Like I say, mixed feelings.

Winoman, Dizi, DecadeOfDCU26 and 2 others repped this.
  22. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too little too late, IMHO. This guy is a clown. How did he get appointed head of the SE's?

Dizi repped this.
  23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Compared to Argentine outfits calling themselves or being known as Barra Brava I regarded DC's version as moped riders acting up by wearing Hells Angels colors. What you call yourself and what you actually are usually doesn't agree completely and I thought that they tried to be something they weren't, then "evolved or devolved" depending on how you looked at it. They never bothered me other than poor singing,

Funkfoot and Dizi repped this.
  24. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    David Goodwin appointed him. the old board selects the new board. no interaction with its members or anything.

JayRockers! and sitruc repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds convoluted to me. Even the electoral college is more fair.

TowsonDad repped this.