DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i read he was offered 700 K a season.
    It's crazy Howard gets that much despite his form being down (still using that Belgium performance for the $$$)

I'm curious what the likes of Guzan and Rimando earn

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Hamid best player in the league? Please pass the pipe.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeper. He said keeper.

sitruc and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Goff the $700k is likely no longer on the table because the team feels like it needs some of that [presumably league funded TAM or GAM] money to sign another DP over the winter window. Outside of Garberbucks, over-the-limit DP cash comes out of the owners' pockets, so they'd def be able to pay Bill and another DP if they wanted to (i.e. not a cap situation). Doesn't seem like they want to spend the cash.

DCUSA and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    If there are teams with multiple players whose salaries each are over the total of DC United's, then the owners can afford another DZ.

DCUSA and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts as well. If you have four players over the DP threshold, knock one down with TAM. Done and dusted. I don't want to hear a peep about crying poor, that's all over with for me. Not much I can do about it, except run all around the internet and rail on anyone trying to defend the FO.

Rick77 repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well to damn him with faint praise he IS the best player on the United roster and the best keeper by a mile. He deserves a raise and his own physio to keep him healthy. And no FO, Wyotech 's certificate for body and paint technician doesn't mean physical therapy training so start the job search at a reputable source

8. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Sorry I didn't notice the "keeper" in the original post. I still believe it's a fool's errand to pay big money for a keeper given the salary constraints in MLS and our ownership. $700K should be able to net you a pretty good player in the open market. Spending $1M on a keeper might improve the team 1% where spending an additional 300K on a center back or holding midfielder would improve it by far more than 1%. If I the additional money is to truly go after a top quality striker it's a good trade off. Poachers won't cut it with our current tactics. We need an all around player at #9.

9. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda hard to say. Hamid was worth every penny United paid him over the past several years and ought to have been resigned for whatever it cost to secure his services.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Whether Hamid stays or not I hope DCU offers us something in the future more than "Hamid and Hope"

Winoman repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I long for a United lineup that is so successful at scoring that an "adequate" keeper is all we need.

majspike, Winoman and song219 repped this.
  12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "One Nil to the Arsenal" was the battle cry at Highbury during the 70's. In that era, it was possible to win with defense. In the modern era, Jose Moreno and Bruce Arena are perhaps the best exemplars of that strategy.

13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, sadly. Hamid is almost a luxury player. Hear me out. If you're a very good team, Hamid can put you over the top and be the last piece on a cup winner. I don't think United is in that category, and money could be spent elsewhere.
    The thing is, the way the league is run, both can be had! Hamid and a star DP striker are obtainable. Anyone saying they can't afford him will be met with a very skeptical eye from me.

14. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is exactly what's behind Hamid's discontent. He'd probably like to play for a winner in MLS or in a more prestigious league abroad. I can't blame him.

15. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is about business. With Howard's announcement, Colorado received an extension from its jersey sponsor contract. TransAmerica called it a "national and international platform to invest in". Hamid doesn't carry that kind of weight (at this time), even if he is a comparable or better keeper.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. Terpitude

Terpitude Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    The offers to Hamid have been entirely fair. They didn't throw crazy money at him, but they made completely legit offers to keep him. Heck, they MATCHED his demands. Twice.

He's a great keeper, but he hasn't been clearly the best keeper in the league. He's injured about 1/3 of every season. If he were as good as he is AND durable, he would probably have a contract offer overseas in a top league.

Murrdcu, Hedbal and Eastern Bear repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but has Howard's move to Rapids benefited the club or the sponsor in any noticeable way?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    having NT caps would have helped such a move abroad. But apparently he's injured at the wrong time otherwise he might have like 10 caps instead of currently 3.
    But maybe it's best for him to have avoided the PL. A few mistakes early on and he'd be shipped out.

Winoman repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Attendance and general coverage in the market.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    by how much exactly.

I'm just curious. I think it was a good move but in 2016 they had a seemingly washed up PL Howard instead of a post Belgium WC hero Howard. Not sure if he was worth $2.5 million for 3 years, but maybe i'm wrong.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The drop-off wasn't last year, it was the past couple of months.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Howard's form at Everton dropped so badly by Feb 2016 he was no longer no.1 and would have been no.2 had he stayed the club. Perhaps even no.3 if he was there now. I'm quite curious if he had offers from other Euro leagues or even China. They were grossly overpaying for players around that time.

But yeah he came into MLS with poor form in the PL but did play better for the NT and Rapids.

23. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
  24. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    They are not called the "crapids " so often

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.