DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See I am not a do something kind of guy. I want a plan, that can succeed.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Man, in 1996 and 1997 our FO was awesome. We used to be the envy of MLS. We've gone rapidly downhill since then.

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Our FO went into stasis during Will Chang, but only because his ownership was barely hanging on without any other money, and the failure of two stadium proposals. But the basic framework and institutional memory was there. Along with a benign neglect towards SG (a least that's my observation).

The FO really started a nosedive after the current owners did a wholesale removal of all the remaining people. The descent has been rapid since then, but not before.

shawn12011, fatbastard, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was that one day that they sacked everybody good and hired assholes and interns

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Uncle Will was better than that. He hung out with us in Lot 8 and got us more port a potties.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Chang is the only reason DC still has an MLS team. Had he been able to get a stadium worked out the current situation would look much better between the SG and the team.

james

TowsonDad, Winoman and liverbird repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If any owner past or present is to go on the DCU Hall of Tradition it should be Will Chang.

ElApacheTevez, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was going to say AEG. :whistling::coffee:

//please use lube.

Murrdcu repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    That was not intended to be a criticism of Will Chang's ownership. He did indeed keep us afloat without any other help. But after two failed stadium initiatives, the FO sorta hit a wall.

10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    On the subject of ownership, the initial divestment by Soros is what hurt the team. The dude sold after 5 or so years and the team hasn't been the same. DCU was the model for the league at the time, yet the league was faltering. That guy wipes his @$$ with 100s, but couldn't hang on to DCU?!?! Always frustrated me that he sold because he literally let Kevin Payne run things while he signed the checks. He dropped over $100M on the last election and that didn't turn out the way he planned. Could have spent the money on a higher quality stadium with that. If only he could have fallen in love with the team...

Winoman repped this.
  11. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    He may have seen the writing on the wall. The original MLS owners certainly didn't see themselves building stadium. The Crew early on got a stadium because they literally didn't have another place to go.

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't received my Soros checks and Obama phone so he must not be signing cheques anymore.

Winoman repped this.
  13. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I remember reading a report not too long ago that MLS essentially “folded” after the 2002 season. It was Hunt who pushed everyone to continue — the result was the contraction of the Miami and Tampa Bay franchises. That’s how DCU got Ray Hudson, Nick Rimando and Ivan McKinley.

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It was after the 2001 season. The season the Fusion won the Supporters Shield.

15. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a freaking joke.

upload_2017-9-29_10-47-23.png

ElApacheTevez, shawn12011 and Rick77 repped this.
  16. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a good idea if you're unscrupulous and want to scam people out of the price of an annual magazine subscription or credit card fee. Seems like it could backfire with something as expensive as a season ticket however.

kirchhausen repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They hired marketing and sports entertainment people. Not soccer people. The result is my game days experience has gone from an A- to a D- . And the grade keeps going down.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Looks like Hamid is good as gone

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel sorry for Bill. He deserved better. The only saving grace is that he is still considered young for a GK.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Gotta respect Uncle Phil. This league exists 'cause he and Lamar took over all the teams when investors left. Kraft just kept NE going

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  21. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017

What do ya mean "deserved better"?

Bill made two separate contract requests, DCU met them--doubling salary to $700k and 3 years guaranteed--and Bill reneged twice. That pretty much tells ya Bill is not remotely interested in staying in DC.

Now that the club is out of the playoffs, it needs to evaluate the roster. As great as Bill has been, he has let a bunch of goals in this season. He gets injured frequently. Seeing what Clark can do is part is a requiremint if the club thinks/knows Bill is leaving next season.

I don't blame Bill for wanting to test the waters in Europe; it's every American 's soccer players dream. Bill is in his prime. If he goes somewhere that can improve him some more this winter, Bill might even secure a World Cup roster spot this summer--assuming we qualify.

Now, did Bill deserve better from the club when these scouts were at that recent game? Sure, another opportunity to play in front of scouts should help Bill find a job overseas. Now should Bill have been more forthcoming with his intentions this summer with his honesty to re-sign with the club? Yes, because now the club can't recoup any of their investment on their homegrown player when he leaves on a free transfer unless he signs with another MLS club.

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill deserved a better team during his tenure at DCU. Starting every season knowing that you were going to be the only thing stopping the whole enterprise from getting flushed down the toilet and your defense was essentially the equivalent of training dummies has to wear on you.

23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't buy the idea that the club benched Hamid when scouts came to see him thing. Why would DCU have him train abroad so much the past few years if they were trying to hide him?

fatbastard, DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't hiding him away. Both Clark and Hamid were told Clark would get this start, before knowledge of any scouts coming. It would be wrong to pull that start away from Clark after he'd been told he was starting.

25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Tim Howard is making $2.5 million as a shitty keeper on a shitty team. Hamid has been the best keeper in the league for years. He deserves 7 figures. I'm hoping against hope that this is all just positioning for off season negotiations.

Whatever money they're thinking about handing off to Nigel DeJong, a bad person who badly plays a position that DC doesn't need an upgrade, should go to Hamid. Everyone wins.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.