DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'd really like to know what happened to her.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kschaeff posted on B&RU: "Cliff notes version is: she did suffer a concussion, still employed by the team, retained a lawyer but no legal action as of yet. The entire piece is worth a read."

Winoman and QuietSide repped this.
  3. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Pertinent bit from the article:

"In the days that followed, Simpson—a former goalkeeper at the University of Maryland who has said she suffered multiple concussions during her career—struggled with post-concussion symptoms."
    Side note: I stopped paying for ESPN Insider and switched that $ over to a subscription to the Athletic back around March. May not be worth it (yet) if you only follow soccer, but they have a ton of great baseball coverage, and the soccer stuff they do have is really good.

sitruc, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The article says the "railing cap"was installed at the last minute at the direction of DC inspectors who said the original railings were not high enough. IIRC, Turner later acknowledged that the caps were installed with the wrong screws and that the one that fell on Simpson wasn't the only one that was loose/or fell without incident.

Winoman repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I cancelled my subscription when Jamele Hill began with The Atlantic.

//there are discount codes all over the place. The Athletic is definitely worth it.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sounds like a good reason to me.

7. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh:

8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is me not trying to be a jerk or start a huge discussion, but why do people not like Jemele Hill? I know she's gotten into some race issues that some white people don't like. But do people think she's not a good journalist/commentator? I don't read/watch her that often, but she has seemed perfectly fine when I have.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it to mean the exact opposite, that he quit ESPN when she was let go - but I'm often accused of not understanding things properly :)
    I haven't seen a ton from her but I've liked what I've seen/read.

EdTheRed repped this.
  10. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's anti-Trump, and upon hearing of her joining The ATLANTIC, some guy on Twitter angrily announced that he was canceling his subscription to The ATHLETIC.

Because words are hard.

sitruc and EdTheRed repped this.
  11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked back more carefully at the preceeding posts... and I think you're right.
    Either way, I know some people don't like Jemele Hill. I was just wondering whether it was her opinions on social issues/politics or because people take issue with her journalism/commentary skills.

12. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    ESPN is perhaps the only sports programming more unwatchable than the NFL these days. I got sick of the angry with an edge sports reporting that they resorted to. Don't know why, but they did. I can't stand Steven A Smith. That they brought back a baiting asshole like Olbermann with the track record he established after they fired him the first time was another brick in the wall I put up in front of ESPN.

I've generally not been a fan of ESPN's MLS coverage, not because of the studio or booth staff, they're excellent, but it always seemed like MLS was something ESPN felt they had to do, so they put the minimum into it with respect to scheduling and resources.

I miss the old Sports Reporters with 4 guys sitting in swivel chairs shooting the shit about the issues and hot button items of recent sports events. Before Lupicia went annoying, long before Dick Schapp passed, before Kornheiser turned orange. It was great show with guys who worked their way up in sport journalism, by being beat reporters who had to know the games they covered. A 60 Minutes (think the early 80s version) grade show. Now you have morons like Max Kellerman weighing on all sorts sports that he knows little to nothing about. A yammering moron like Skip Bayless and bunch of other twits who make Woody Paige not sound like a vapid asshole.

In much the same way as MTV "stopped playing music vids", ESPN got away from what made it, which was televising sports. Rather than cover niche sports, whether it was Aussie Rules Football, Worlds Strongest Man or some less popular Olympic sports like bobsledding or track, they decided talk shows with pointed opinions was the way to go to fill the day. I don't think my TV has tuned to ESPN in years unless a specific game I wanted to watch turned up in the cable guide.

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You could have made this post 10 years ago.

14. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Its prolly been at least that long since I watched anything other than PTI or sports on ESPN and its been at least 5 ys since I watched PTI.

15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't even know who Jemele Hill is.

I'm not a lawyer or a doctor, but I imagine that having a history of concussions already would make things difficult if Simpson decides to sue. I don't miss her on the broadcasts at all, but I wish her a full and speedy recovery.

sitruc, NicktheGreek and Winoman repped this.
  16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I generally avoid sports "commentary" on TV. Some day those assholes may have to get a real job. Same for "sports" radio, just an endless sea of babble about shit that really isn't important taking calls from folks who really think which wide receiver starts on Sunday is the most important thing in the world. I watch some sporting events on TV, soccer, hockey and Formula 1 racing really are about it. The only sports commentary I listen to are podcasts: For F1's Sake (three Brits snarkily talking about F1), Open Wide for Some Soccer (whenever they do a show), the Total Soccer Show (sometimes -- but it has such a Prem League slant that I'm not a big follower). I tried to listen to the RFK Refugees podcast, but those guys are latecomers and don't even have a complete grasp of DCU "history" that only goes back 22 seasons, just unlistenable. My favorite remains UnitedMania, but sadly those four guys are just a pleasant, distant memory at this point.

Winoman repped this.
  17. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If she just reported that would be fine. I don't need the opinions of those "with a platform" I think for my self, right or wrong. So those who tend to spout off drive me away.

Eastern Bear, BassNFool and ejs1111 repped this.
  18. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She was hired by ESPN and The Atlantic to offer her opinion and commentary

sitruc, Winoman, EdTheRed and 1 other person repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The genius behind the invention of mass electronic communications was the on/off switch

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure they won't be favorites on this board but I listen to Filibuster podcast. I skip the time the spend talking about booze for the first 8-10 minutes. I know they're HUUUUGE homers and kinda dorky, but if you go in knowing that, they're pretty knowledgeable and they have on counterparts from other podcasts from the other teams each week to break down upcoming games.

21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I think that's a general problem with all media. Everything comes with either an opinion or an editorial agenda that dictates what is even covered or what angle its covered from. Journalism in general has gotten a long way from just reporting the facts.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think she's a "reporter" in the sense you mean.
    I thought she was there for her opinion/commentary.
    Maybe the problem is that ESPN intermixes it's reporting and commentary pretty much constantly. I'd say news stations have the same problem.

BassNFool, Winoman and EdTheRed repped this.
  23. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Those guys are a bunch of knobs!! :p:p

EdTheRed, Rick77, shawn12011 and 3 others repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knobs that go to 11 even ;)

Winoman and Gittnbizzee repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator