DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the info is in the link, it doesn’t automatically sign you up. Essentially a cocktail type event + tour of AF fot $250

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    pretty much what we used to get for free as a STH.

But money goes to DC Scores, which is cool, but that's alot of money. We used to have a banquet that DCU Foundation got and was cheaper than that

PSURoss, dadman and sitruc repped this.
  3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Under Kevin Payne, DC United always had a kickoff luncheon right before the home opener, and a season-ending evening party, both with the team. All the money went to United 4 DC. These were really cool. At my table I met Pontius, Santino, Jakovic, and many others. These were always really cool.

dadman, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  4. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are pictures around with us in front of a table with all the team trophies from those days. They were indeed really cool events.

Winoman and Gittnbizzee repped this.
  5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all the money goes to the charity, and if by making the price 10x larger they lost less than 90% of the old attendance, then it's a net win for the charity so I'm OK with it. But obviously I'm pulling those numbers out of my butt: I have no idea at all what the reality is.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but what I don't like is they don't tell you from the get go that it is a pay to play event. I have no issue with raising money for charity but tell me that.

7. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    I miss those so much.....and the awards dinner was only $100/person

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  8. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    the new account managers are straight out of Minnesota. Called cause I was having trouble exchanging wednesdays match for FAM, the dude tried to sell me on a friendly with Olimpia...like uh dude, NO. and I dont care about next years friendlies and he was like but it will be a top tier EPL...I said how do you know, its next summer and who knows who will come to the states, so dont make lies up. and then continues to push me to get more season tickets like im a dummy who hasnt been around since 96, oh yeah and again said come to the viewing parties to meet players lol....

and I called because he doesnt ever answer an email

dadman, PSURoss, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  9. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I called my rep today to ask about parking for Wed. I got a call back within 2 hours and he followed up with an email with a link to buy Lot H/I parking for the usual $20 discount rate. No trying to sell me anything (caveat ... I have already re-upped for next season).

YMMV.

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    you must have a better rep.
    mine is new

thats how the reps should be, glad you got a new one.

I might also be on the blacklist :)

dadman repped this.
  11. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    FTR, I just got an update from Spothero ... Lot H/I is apparently closed on Wed ... they moved me to Lot F on the other side of N St.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the same notice for Saturday's game - at least if they're gonna inconvenience me by closing my lot they let me park right across the street, I don't need to figure out something too different :) I hope they have a shady spot or two over there and don't mind me sitting around and drinking :cool:

Interested to see what kind of festival is going on in the lot.

Winoman repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nats Park is hosting Opera in the Outfield on the 29th, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

JayRockers! repped this.
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean the Nats are playing too, or they're just doing opera stuff instead of nats? I hate shared dates with the Nats, I doubt the opera will create the road closures they do for nats games that keep me out of the lot too long :)

15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the opera stuff. Nats are on the road the last weekend of the season.

16. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    but that might cause the other lots to implement "game day" or event pricing. One lot i found barely a block away from gNats park charges only $16 (plus tax = $20 ai) on Eaglebank Arena East soccer game days when there is no gNats game on the same day.

17. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    D'oh ... lucky I went back to read that email again ... it was for 9/29 NOT 9/19!

18. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Winoman repped this.
  19. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    So I am trying out the "sell tickets" option on the website for tomorrow (what the heck, why not - I was writing it off anyway) and tikatdiktator has listings for as low as $8, same as on stubhub. More interesting though is the listing in 136 for first round playoff games - at $111. Are those actually SG controlled tickets for sale?

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My issue with one part of the article is the reference to DC United's playing style. And then trying to force that style down through the academy. I take issue with that. You can have a general style but you cannot replicate that all the way down. Every player is different. Each has his own strengths and weaknesses. You cannot ask a player who is a workhorse with marginal passing skill to replicate Acosta. Don Shula used to alter his coaching style to the players on his roster. That is the best way to do things. Now as I say you can implement broad strokes of style but you cannot replicate it. That is just lazy poor coaching. "I have a system I play and these players will play that system!" Not long after that the coach gets fired for losing.

GumbyG repped this.
  21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Reminds me of the punchline "We've established what you are, now we're just haggling over price".
    You bought the story before, he's just trying to close you again.

22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think having our "style" means having an Acosta, any more than there are few teams that can be successful without a creative playmaker.

Just assuming for the moment that Olsen's philosophy is dominant here, which is a big assumption.... My impression of Olsen is he believes systems are mostly for understanding your defensive responsibilities, and that football happens when good players learn to play together. In other words, the offense isn't formless, but it isn't prescriptive. You're not going to win consistently with a machine, given the quality of parts available to most if not all teams. You don't need a schematic to be disciplined in providing opportunities, making good runs, and drawing defenders - you just need to read the game and use space. On paper, Rooney's a terrible fit for our formation and the way it implies we should play. But with Ben's philosophy, the formation is not the system. It's almost impossible for Ben to misuse Rooney, whereas, it would be almost impossible for Berhalter (to take the obvious foil as an example) to not misuse Rooney.

Don't get me wrong, I think Berhalter's a great coach. I think, objectively, he's a better coach than Ben is. But there's merit to both philosophies. A Berhalter-like development system would however, create players who have difficulty playing in a Benny-like system, while the inverse is not true, or at least, less likely.

The primary purpose of the academy teams isn't to win games, it's to develop players, ideally destined for the first team. Perhaps ironically, offensive players only capable of playing a single position or grinding out results don't fit the philosophy. The academy will have to be pretty focused on awareness, creativity and technique in scouting and training. And that's where identifying your "style" upfront is useful.

I can see how a very regimented formation- or position-based system could cause you to exclude or marginalize a large number of players, but a broader style that doesn't require homage to a formation gives you the best of both worlds. I hope that's how we're looking at this.

23. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    when asked about no longer free food and drinks at the event sat, here is the response I got...I also asked about the supporters/STH lines in the concessions.

As far as promises made by individuals who have left the club, I cannot do anything about that. I DO know our new ownership is invested in making the fan experience better. They are taking in all the feedback that we receive from fans and channeling it to fans.

I DO know we will have a smaller number of events next year, but they will be much larger in scale. Kind of like the Meet the Team event that will be this Saturday. I also DO know that are benefits are being added every year. We were limited in the benefits we could provide in 2018, but am excited that we have expanded those benefits for 2019.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  24. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Regarding style/system and Olsen... I think our team success is mainly due to having quality playmakers in the midfield, and adding the class of Rooney. Its simple 1-2 touch passing triangles. Maintaining possession and looking for the creative strike at goal. None of those characteristics fit into what I have seen from Olsen's coaching locker. Many coaches are like this- just acquire quality and let the quality shine offensively.

Olsen comes across as a defensive organizer, stabilizer, formation guy, hard work and press type coach. Maybe I'm wrong- but that is what comes out in interviews and his basic tactics.

I think our offensive success is due to the individual flair of Rooney/Acosta...not Olsen.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's email about Saturday: