DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There has been a lot of turnover.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Office deck chairs :D

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So the FO = Titanic? :D

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  4. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah

If we want to make a fresh thread that's cool but honestly...what's changed?

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the boat was (mostly) fine as long as it didn't hit anything, as most are.

This thread = the lookout :)
    The FO = the captain.

ElApacheTevez and Winoman repped this.
  6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I think you're selling Rooney short here. I was as big of a detractor as anyone with respect to his signing, but so far, he's come in and put in good shifts since becoming the captain. I think that effort in Atlanta was poor, but I am willing to chalk that up to not being 90 minutes ready, playing on turf, not playing in a team that's prepared to compete with Atlanta. And we're still not ready to compete with Atlanta. Or NYC or maybe NJ.

bigredfutbol, dadman, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been impressed with Chris Hull.
    I'm also glad Tom Hunt is gone...
    It's a start. Long long road to significantly improving the FO, but they're moving in the right direction.

Dizi, Cavan9, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta fix the things they can fix easily.

Cavan9 repped this.
  9. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Its amazing in 1 month what he has been able to fix that TH destroyed over 4 years. Chris is not just a fan of the SGs, but been involved with all fans. This is great for the organization, and really shows how out of touch Jason was from knowing what Tom was doing, or lack of.

Dizi, EdTheRed, bigredfutbol and 9 others repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd love to hear more detail about what Chris is up to. He is as Twitter hound with the supporters so I guess that's good. I had personal experiences with Hunt and he was a clown. He was a fish out of water in the soccer world as well. I read here that he was the main engine behind the new badge. Maybe we can replace that thing and get something better. I've never liked the current badge. I digress...

Dizi, EdTheRed, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  11. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In contrast, the badge is the one thing that Hunt got right. It could be better, but it's an improvement over the old one. We were all used to the old badge but it was late '90's clip-art with the font.

Heist repped this.
  12. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    99% of supporters I have talked to hated the new badge mainly because of what it ment also. It ment cleaning of all history of anything DCU related. This was TH baby, and now hes not there hearing the stories about it makes me sick. he wanted a club to start from scratch no history or anything. the badge is complete shit, looks like a kid drew. Its better than Juve or Leeds, but still. They need to go back to the 2nd badge and bring back tradition. thats what this club is. Also alot of people have already said that to Chris, he was surprised to hear. Dont think it would happen, but who knows. Geting rid of this badge means getting rid of all the bag mojo over the past 5 years TH destroyed

shawn12011, Adler, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You take it back, the Trans Am logo is the best one

dadman, Rick77, EdTheRed and 3 others repped this.
  14. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I spoke at length with Tom Hunt about this and he made a couple of good points. I also run a consulting firm that does branding work. There were some inherent problems with the older logo. It was designed prior to the digital age really coming into our constant use. The font on the old logo didn't hold up under some digital platforms. Sans serifs perform a lot better. Also, designs evolve and we are in the age of images that look like badges. Most MLS logos have evolved in that direction, and it's a smart move so that it looks good in banner ads and on digital platforms.

I have a lot of problems with the failure of the front office to realize that marketing to the existing fan base and marketing to millennials simultaneously is not only doable, but essential to maintain a strong season ticket holder base. But I have no problem with the evolution of the logo. I guess I'm your 1%.

EdTheRed, Cavan9, pr0ner and 4 others repped this.
  15. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    I just want to see a large, backlit logo somewhere on our stadium walls. Seriously, that should beckon to people crossing the bidge, going to Nats park, or just out for a walk.

dadman, 12th Man, sitruc and 9 others repped this.
  16. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The badge and Mr. Hunt are not one and the same. Please separate a brand from a former incompetent manager. Hunt got one thing right. This does not negate all the things he got wrong. Mr. Hunt is not a soccer guy, will never be a soccer guy, and did not care to learn about pro soccer. He wanted to remake D.C. United into an NBA team or something stupid like that. That wrong-headed approach is what is behind all the poor decisions during his tenure.

The badge is used as a brand in our time rather than just something you put on the left chest on the jersey. The old badge looked like something a high school kid put together in the late '90's. It was dated at best. The current badge is an improvement. It could get dated in 20 years but most things do.

shawn12011 repped this.
  17. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of the existing fanbase are millenials. Millennials are all now adults and the oldest of us are in our late 30's.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    EagleBank Field could definitely use more signage.

dadman, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. So your argument is that the 2nd logo seems more like it was created by a high-schooler than the cartoonish outside-the-lines 3rd badge? Huh.
    They've gotten more amateur-looking as they've progressed in my opinion. The latest one has kind of grown on me, like the second one finally had after a while too. I'm sure the next one will as well after a bit.
    Logo changes are mostly part of modern business plans to sell new merchandise.

If "the font" was the problem, that's easy to have fixed without altering the logo itself.
    I don't get the fuss about fonts much but boy the few people who have an opinion on them sure have a loud opinion on them :) They are constantly updating font rules on documents here at work because people always have a bad opinion of whatever font we used to use.

dadman, shawn12011, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  20. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Those are all good reasons for why they needed to update the badge, but... the outcome is just so mediocre.

It's not terrible - the wings extending beyond the outline of the badge are what drives me nuts. I love the new typeface; the inclusion of the DC flag is great. It's the overall shape that feels bad to me, and the part I think won't age well.

Cavan9, Dizi, Eastern Bear and 2 others repped this.
  21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would have been cool with a badge. I'm also on board with making something that's digital ready. I love what the new Miami team leaked.

Cavan9 and Dizi repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think it's funny that Bing still uses the old logo for United.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think it's funny that Bing still exists.

Cavan9, griffin1108, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    <Looks up at Bing Rewards on the other monitor>

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Juve simply proves they don't need no stinking badge to be great, and just for my viewpoint I'll never wear anything with a DC Flag on it. They do that and it's a clear F-U to Maryland and Virginia residents who have been fans since day 1.