Pre-match: DC United - Columbus Crew 28 September 2016

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DangSkippy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see it was Olsen Miracle Sub Night.

dadman, Oveki8 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see Orlando or NE drop points on the weekend or for us to get points in Toronto.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a Subway promotional tie-in opportunity.

4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean to be fair we were playing Columbus

NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to lie, I was still worried at 1-0 because I feel like DC has given away points in that position before, but they closed it out with verve.

I am worried about how tired they looked and unenthusiastic for most of the match. I had just sent a message to a friend saying that Sam was done and needed a sub. Precisely 11 seconds later, he scored. So, I'm an idiot. But they did sub him immediately after, so I'm not entirely wrong. For all the Olsen is supposed to motivate the players, I only saw a couple guys who looked motivated for the entire match (*cough* Nyarkoviolateslawsofthermodynamics *cough*). I'm worried about what Toronto game will look like on Saturday.

But, yeah, I second what UnitedBorn said. Pay for Lucho. Style, skill, passion, and he's the engine of a high scoring offense, something DC hasn't had in years. No, he can't go it alone, but he's a "franchise player" if you let him be.

dadman, Oveki8, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Sam's goal was a thing of beauty. What a way to go out, your last touch is in the net.

In about 15 minutes, Neagle had 1 goal and 1 assist.

Nice pass from Buescher to Neagle, let the defenders come to him, hit Neagle in stride and Clark was toast.

First half was disappointing -- no real connections and C-bus kept getting corners - of course they couldn't do anything with them. From MLS Cup finalist to no playoffs, hard to imagine, but that is a woeful team right now.

I think this is the first time this season DCU has won back to back games. Good time for it.

dadman, Oveki8, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara has been quality until this point. Boswell kept him in check, no goals for the 15 goal scorer. But Acosta had a good match, and I won't even say its because thgthge Crew defense lacks quality.

DangSkippy and Winoman repped this.
  8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm worried about United still playing 'rope-a-dope' for the first 70 minutes of a game, and then coming on to score goals near the end. The scoring has definitely gotten better, but it won't take much for that strategy to go the other way against a solid defense, and fast. DC was lucky the Crew couldn't hit the water, if they threw their hats out of a boat.

fatbastard and Oveki8 repped this.
  9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's by design. United presses with both wings in addition to both Jeffrey and Acosta. When then press is broken, there is a ton of space. United is gambling the potential for giveaways from pressing out weighs the space conceded. Asking a lot of the backs, they held up today.

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Each of Benny's subs had either a goal (Sabo), an assist (Buescher), or both (Neagle).

DCUSA repped this.
  11. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but...how often has EVERY SUB panned out like that? So I stand by my comment given the odds.

shammypants repped this.
  12. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    There's really nothing to criticize about this game. Columbus has played well lately, and they know how to keep possession. Sarvas out probably didn't help. They played their game for the first thirty minutes and then we played ours. We've won our last two games by three goals each and have only lost once in the last 11 games.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was enjoyable.

dadman, NicktheGreek and Oveki8 repped this.
  14. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The bad news about not having that designated player, that stand-out striker, is that in a tense situation it's harder to get that one moment of brilliance that delivers a 1-0 or 2-1 win. (With Acosta, you may get the pass, but he definitely isn't the finisher.)

The good news? Deeper bench. If we were paying big money for one or two big names, would we be able to make two of our three subs for players of equal talent (Neagle and Saborio)? One of the reasons that Olsen's high-press, run-them-down style works against lesser lights like Columbus seems to be that, as long as we're winning or tied by the 60th minute, we can bring on equals with fresh legs, while other teams take a dip in talent level (or run tired legs into the ground).

That's great for the regular season. Pessimist me is worried about what it means in a two-game series against a really talented team. Optimist me knows that this squad is the first in a while that's been worth watching.

R.

Winoman repped this.
  15. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Really good point about the deeper bench. Neagle for Sam has to drive other coaches nuts. Both have pace and of the two, Neagle is the better finisher, so now you are dealing with equivalent speed going against tired legs and a more "shoot first" type of player. These last two games have been really good for Buescher. On Saturday, he didn't have time to get nervous because he was an emergency sub. He played well then. Last night, he looked like someone who just "fit in" and his pass to Neagle was smart, crisp and clean -- not the usual play from a rookie with just a few games under his belt.

Nice to see Sabo again, and nice finish for the goal.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    My complements! I should have added professionalism to my initial list, you set the bar high sir.:D

Oveki8 repped this.
  17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A team that had pretty easily won their last two games. They aren't a horrible team by any stretch. It does seem like MLS has overall figured out how to gameplan for them though.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    They were pretty horrible last night.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    After all that, it didn't start to rain until we were walking out of the stadium. Both teams looked tired, as you would expect on a Wednesday. Nyarko really had an off night, I was hoping that was who Neagle would come in for. Otherwise, pretty happy. Surprised JJ was able to go 90 minutes. Hamid not really tested. Acosta is the guy most worth paying money to see, they really need to keep him.

dadman repped this.
  20. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I was at the game. CBS had chances, but they didn't finish. Hamid made some nice saves. It could easily have been a much different game. That said, we finally have some offense. Wow. I agree -- we need to show we can play with a real quality team. That said, we're missing a lot of folks that would otherwise be starting and getting nice results.

Not clear if we're turning a corner or just running over teams we need to be able to beat, but beating them still beats the crap out of the other options...

fatbastard, Oveki8 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3 points.

Oveki8 repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did basically play with (and outplay for 82 min or something) NYCFC, the only "quality team" we've played recently. One could argue though that Columbus is quality. They won 2 straight and looked pretty good doing it. We didn't play well vs. the Red Bulls, but we did end up with a result there.
    In August we drew Philly, NY, and Montreal. Not great results, but not horrible either. At least now we're playing a bit better.

There are only so many "real quality teams" around MLS. Toronto is probably one of them, even if they didn't look too great last night.

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In our last two games we have taken 23 shots, and 13 were on goal, almost 60%. That's very, very good.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its because we moved NDL to the backline. Ups our accuracy considerably.

james

DCUSA, Murr, shammypants and 3 others repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One note - when high pressing in the first half we need to keep the team compact and bring the defense up. We weren't doing that so the Crew were able to pass straight through us and start an attack. That seemed to be the only real negative take away from the game.

james

Winoman repped this.