DC United @ Atlanta Copycats game thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Boloni86, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    When : Sunday March 11th at 3 PM
    Where : Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    TV : ESPN

I don't feel optimistic about this game. It's their home opener so their crowd will be extra loud. And their players will be extra motivated after their lackluster debut in Houston last week and their poor performances against us last year. Sooner or later they're going to make us pay for all the points we've stolen from them.

The first week's team selection was pretty straightforward for Ben. This week we'll begin seeing him having to make tougher decisions. With Acosta back, which attacker gets benched? Or will Benny be bold and bench a box to box guy like Segura? With Mattocks' poor debut, does Mullins get a start? And does Joseph Mora walk into starting lineup, or does he stick with Fisher?

Winoman repped this.
  2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Would be a little surprising, but Atlanta's big weakness is at the 6, so you could try to overrun the midfield.

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mora can't play until the foreign player thing is cleared up. We don't have the slots for him yet.

4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Miranda being in Richmond they do.

Eastern Bear and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I hope Ben reads your summary I doubt if any of your points have crossed his mind yet. I heard rumors that he was contemplating painting the traffic cones in Atlanta colors to add realism to the training though.

6. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't feel optimistic about any game any more.

bigredfutbol and NicktheGreek repped this.
  7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Sneaky. Can you shift International slots variably like that? Miranda one match then not the next?

8. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    How soon you all forget. Atlanta United is a guaranteed 3 points.

9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not so sure we lose to Atlanta. There is one coach in MLS who was out-coached by Olsen twice last year. His name is Tata Martino. He jumped wildly into the attack and overlapped his wingbacks aggressively. As Olsen's squad dumped the long ball to the wings there was nobody there to defend the counter.

Most teams keep their fullbacks/wingbacks even with the defensive line (against us) and recycle the ball as we dump to the wings. Atlanta didn't watch any game film from the past 5 years apparently. Let's see if they make the same mistake.

Winoman and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mora is out due to Visa registration (USA), not foreign registration (MLS)

fatbastard, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    As noted, Mora is not available. Martino appears to be a defensive moron, but he does have a loaded attack. Houston got on Atlanta very early so that put them out of any type of rhythym. DCU, has to rely on Mattocks to create a similar disruption — I don’t see it. I would keep the same lineup as Orlando with Acosta replacing Stieber. However, Acosta, Segura and Asad would be on a short leash. If any of them shows poor form I would dump Stieber back in, with Harkes not far behind. Is Canouse fit enough for the 18 this week?

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Canouse is still listed as unavailable.

13. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd line them up a little differently than last week:

Asad -------- Mattocks --------- Arriola
    ------- Acosta ----------- Stieber
    ----------------- Moreno
    DeLeon - Birnbaum - Brilliant - Fisher
    ----------------- Ousted

You could also try rotating Stieber out to LW and move Asad inside. But Steiber is the best long-ball guy we have (we're playing Atlanta!). He's good at connecting and too valuable on set pieces to sit on the bench anyway.

I'm swapping DeLeon and Fisher, because I'd rather give the career outside back a chance to play on his preferred foot, and I suspect the worst of it will be coming down our right flank.

Hedbal and ejs1111 repped this.
  14. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I like the idea of sitting Segura for Acosta and just having all our attacking players on the field at once. I don't know if Olsen/Ash have the stones to do it though.

Personally, I'm just counting the days that Mora is available to play and DeLeon can be benched. That alone will help our team tremendously. He is a turnstile at FB.

fatbastard and Eastern Bear repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I remember from the Atlanta match: Segura misses low and wide, but DeLeon misses high and wide (and always has).

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't watch Atlanta's first game, but this is one of those situations where a broken clock is right two times a day. Olsen's typical drop deep token high press and heavy low block combined with counter attack to the flanks is well suited for the mega compact Atlanta attack. Maybe Atlanta changes things up an doesn't attack us as aggressively as last year, but I'm not sure I see that changing. What we trotted out last week looks good, but someone has to sit. Is it possible Asad plays the #8?

17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miranda would have to go on a season long loan for his Intl slot to open up. As it is, he's a shuttler, which I think is good but ties up that slot.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    No wonder the Mens Room is a mess

roadkit, Funkfoot, Eastern Bear and 8 others repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's why the Brits invented Wellingtons

20. roachclip76

roachclip76 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    I’m curious to see who plays too. That said I think it’s too early in the season to change your game plan after one game especially since it was an away draw. I expect a 4-1-4-1 again, with only one change. I suspect since we are away it’ll be Acosta for Steiber but you never know. I’m not sure what the formation will end up being either could be 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 before it’s over. I wouldn’t mind us trying a 4-3-3 with a false 9 just to get our best 11 out there.

Oh and I agree that I can’t wait til DeLeon is out of RB but he didn’t cost us last game by a long shot. So that’s no panacea.

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    The sad truth is... here we are. Exactly where just about every poster said we'd be. Which talented midfielder do we drop? and, boy I wish we had a half decent striker.

Winoman repped this.
  22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will definitely be a more interesting game than had hoped.
    How will they rebound from the horrible 2nd half last week, do they all believe it was just the late travel, do they doubt each other? Will be interesting to see.

I don't think you can take Stieber out so I'm interested to see the midfield shuffle that happens. He and Acosta both being in makes it harder for defenders, dangerous balls could come from all directions, especially if you add in Asad (I seem to remember him having some nice passes last year).
    Can the middle be fluid enough to draw defenders away from Mattocks? Or will his performance last week mean they leave him more alone anyway...

I will be cautiously optimistic

DCU - 2
    Ga Brown - 1

And may the final 20 minutes go by much faster than they did last week.

GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You drop one of the deck chairs Moreno or Segura.

24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless we drop two guys into defensive midfield we are going to get torched on the outside. Atlanta will likely look to run their speed against our flanks spreading out the midfield and opening up holes underneath the attack and in front of the defense. We need to clog that up from the start and just hope someone can fast break the other way.

Ousted
    NDL (sigh) Brilliant (Bernie)Birnbaum Fisher(spooner)
    Durkin Moreno
    Arriola Acosta Asad
    (Rent a striker)Mattocks

Or just stop pretending to have strikers and put Asad up top with Steiber on the wing.

James

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The latter. Not including Stieber in your lineup is just plain stupid. So it just may happen.

sitruc, Funkfoot, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.