DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U23s will scrimmage in NJ:

http://oceancityfc.com/home/916112.html

Saturday, May 21 when they welcome Major League Soccer's D.C. United as they will field their Under-23 team in an exhibition game at Carey Stadium in Ocean City, NJ.

The U-23 squad, while consisting of mostly senior academy members, is a talented group of youth players and can often include MLS players who are looking to return to form or seeking more time on the pitch. This matchup won't be the first time the Nor’easters will face off against the U-23’s from D.C. Last year, the two teams split the season series with the home team winning each game. United won the season opener on their home turf 3-1 on May 23, while the Nor'easters got revenge with a 2-1 home win on July 12.

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put this over in the in-season discussion thread (where any discussion should probably actually take place), but if someone's just interested in the academy and won't see it over there, I'll put it here (and it might piss of a mod as a bonus)

740943802211401728 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Worst mods ever.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not taking the bait.

nobletea repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  6. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news about Durkin because I thought he was going overseas to play. I really liked what I saw of him in the surveillance camera footage of preseason. I think he played center and right back.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you didn't read the quote.
    "The club has not made a formal offer but is keeping close tabs on him, multiple sources said. Durkin is also eyeing opportunities in Europe. Any trial overseas would have to coordinate with his U-17 schedule. No trips are scheduled at the moment and there is no timetable for him to turn pro."

The only news is... dc united want to sign a good player that could be a hgp for them. It's not really news. I presume they are somewhat interested in anyone good that they can claim as a hgp.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Have the academy teams updated the logo?

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Or they want to be able to pick up some change on him when he goes somewhere.

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wants to go to anywhere else, why would he sign with DCU? That would cut down on his options a lot if he starts to play for DC and then garners a transfer fee. Right now, he's a free agent who can sign anywhere. Unless he really wants to play first team games and he thinks DC is the way to get that. I don't know much about him, but I'm not sure he's that good that he'd be ready to start in MLS any time soon, particularly for Olsen who isn't the quickest to start really young guys. He has done it, but it's not like this is FC Dallas.

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the matter of signing young players in the MLS system is finely balanced.

Sign them and waste a little bit of money for a few years if they don't pan out, or miss out on a substantial payday or a great player. And the player faces a similar dilemma.

MLS needs to be in a position to provide a platform for a kid like this to say, hey, if I'm not a star, I can make a respectable living for a while and not turn over my whole life for nothing-- but, if I do make it big, MLS gives me a platform to make that move later.

If MLS doesn't position itself that way to young players, they will run for Europe to take their chances on reserve teams.

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  12. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it. I was under the impression a European signing was imminent, so this bit of news is indeed news to me.
    This is a highly rated player. If he does in fact train with United this summer, expect them to sign him if he's not going to Europe. I suspect he plays a lot in 2017, like Kitchen.

13. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    Are you sure he isn't HG eligible? He played several years in the Academy. In any event, he has some creativity that DCU could use.

14. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a secondary assist to me, or maybe none at all in the stat book. :)

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-post...ws-absurdities-of-club-vs-high-school-battle/

Boehm usually knows what he's talking about on this type of thing (and everything really).
    "(I’m highly confident, though not certain, that Mendes has already logged sufficient “training units” for D.C. to be eligible to sign him as a Homegrown, though those rights will expire if he does not return to the club in some capacity, most likely as a PDL player, in the months and years ahead.)"

DCUSA repped this.
  15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. roadrunnerecuador

Jul 17, 2008
    DCUSA, Winoman, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  17. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm pretty sure he has no interest in signing with dcu. I hope he doesn't. Don't want Ben anywhere near him

Oveki8 repped this.
  18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meant durkin. Sorry if I quoted the wrong post.

Winoman repped this.
  21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    It was Durkin. Do not make that mistake again.

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or else what?

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will start a few extra Adu threads - please - think of the kittens!!!!

[​IMG]

24. "username"

"username" Member

Northern Virginia United
    United States
    Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. QuietSide