PBP: DC @ Philthy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Wish I was in DC to watch the DC broadcasts. The Philly broadcast on MLS Live is garbage.

On that aforementioned Le Toux corner out of bounds the announcers said it was offside. You can't have offside on a corner kick. How do these people justify their paychecks?

mosca and Winoman repped this.
  2. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know if it's Jeffrey not giving us what we need, but it seems like Acosta is having to come back way too far right now. We don't need him making the first pass, we need him making the last one.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    the DC broadcast is the usual amateur hour garbage too

Yay Nyarko! Even at 50% he'd be better than what we've seen.

4. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    cut Neagle now

Winoman repped this.
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    lol ... give the PK to the guy who's been most out of form the last 2 games.

6. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    we should definitely appeal that red card...never mind, I guess we don't need to

Murrdcu, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 Winoman, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Neagle must really want out of DC.

Murrdcu repped this.
  8. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tommy Smyth can eat a bag of dicks.

9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    well that was just sad

Winoman repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Remember when shammy used to complain that we only beat the bottom teams? I miss that. Philly was the bottom team coming into this week.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know it's bad when Onyewu is faster than Ortiz, and Neagle.

Q*bert Jones III, sitruc, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  12. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Worst in the east now by points per game.

Acosta looked either exhausted or mostly disinterested. He had to pick the ball up a little deeper, but he certainly didn't look too bothered to then join the attack a little higher. Between that and the petulance, I'm worried.

Live by the superhuman keeper, die by the superhuman keeper. You can quibble with the placement, but I don't think a lot of keepers come up with the save on Neagle's header. His PK, on the other hand ... ugh.

The loss sucks, but I thought we looked a little better than we do against most non-Atlanta teams. We shut down on one play, paid the price, and otherwise played well defensively. But it's got to be incredibly demoralizing to the defense to know that if you make one mistake, it's likely the game is over, because your offense is so, so unlikely to score.

sitruc, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what was the explanation for rescinding acostas red? had no clue inside here. never seen that in my life

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta was the only reason we had goal scoring opportunities at the end and he made a great run that was not picked up by Nyarko at the last minute of the match.

He's our only bright spot in the field of play and was level headed all match.

JRHokie repped this.
  15. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AR conferred with the Center Ref, and the card was completely rescinded, and not merely changed to yellow. Thank you, Mr. AR.

dadman and NicktheGreek repped this.
  16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    We need to sell Acosta this winter. I'm sure there's a Liga MX side that would drop a million on a player like that. He's a bright young player and it's unfair for his development to be stunted here. And might as well move Birnbaum too. Israel's not the greatest league, but at least it gets him into UEFA.

Take that profit and send it to Inter. If we're not going to do anything here, we might as well help them there. It's about time Inter made a solid title run.

As for us we'll be fine with more "big" USL signings.

sitruc, tallguy, UnitedBorn and 3 others repped this.
  17. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few thoughts:

Neagle being our best option for PKs speaks volumes about the quality of our attacking players.

Some of our players can not trap a soccer ball.

In the past, I was not sure whether Harkes or Jeffrey was the weakest link in our central midfield. I now believe that it is Jeffrey. Definitely need an upgrade at that position in the transfer window. Harkes on the other hand, slowly improves.

Without in form Sam and Nyarko, we have no useful wing play. We need to sign a quality winger.

I think that this team could become competitive with two signings in the transfer window. I have no confidence that this will happen.

Rick77, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  18. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    or just throw Durkin out there and let him get up to speed that way. this team is obviously going nowhere this season...and probably for many more. I'll do 1 season at the new stadium to check it out, but I can't see wasting any more money or time beyond that

19. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may regret this post, after I have time to cool off but...

When I watch a game and players on my team can't trap a ball or complete a pass to a wide open player, I wonder whether I am watching a professional soccer team.

When I see Mickey Mouse officiating like that, I can't help but question the legitimacy of the entire league.

If I didn't love DCU, I don't think that I could stomach MLS soccer.

Winoman repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright spot - the new guy made a really good run and got in front of the defender and Acosta hit him in stride. First time I've seen that happen since last season when Acosta hit Saborio in stride.

That's my takeaway.

James

dcu n bntwn and Winoman repped this.
  21. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    apparently the red card was rescinded because the player who was fouled told the referee it wasn't a red card

sitruc, Winoman, mosca and 1 other person repped this.
  22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Rest assured the 2 aren't mutually exclusive, United is wonderful it's the rest of the league that conspires to make us look bad

23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    1. BROTHERLY LOVE: D.C. would’ve been down to 10 men if it weren’t for a remarkable act of sportsmanship from Medunjanin. According to both Medunjanin and a written statement issued by Stoica to Philly.com’s Jonathan Tannenwald after the match, Acosta’s red card was rescinded after Medunjanin told the Stoica that the D.C. playmaker did not kick him while he was on the ground. According to the MLS game recap

tallguy, Winoman, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I've seen something similar happen before. I think it was Aaron Hunt who was a Werder Bremen player at the time. He stumbles in the box, ref calls a PK but then Hunt tells the ref that he wasn't touched. Ref reverses the call and game continues.

Winoman repped this.
  25. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Here's the best part
    “I went to the referee and he said, ‘Did he kick you?’ and I said, ‘No, he didn’t kick me, I think it was just a push,'” Medunjanin recalled. “That’s why it was no red card for me. I hope Felipe was watching from last week — I wish he could say the same.”