Das Martina-Upgrade: Sickle Cut Into Your Defense - Road to WWC 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by Lea_Schueller, Dec 1, 2018.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can't watch cuz I'm working, but MTV chose Hefering over Jojo, Popp over Lea, how can I cheer for that? At least she got right starting Hendrich

2. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    China just missed on a breakaway. If they have any hope they need to convert those

Germany starting to grow into it.

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Because Hegering’s proven herself to be a really strong CB while Doorsoun can be amazing but her passing is lethal sometimes as we just witnessed

4. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    China again with horrible finishing

Germany poor

5. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That’s a weird change... :confused:

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Gwinn 1:0 I see

Steffi Jones on it again though lol

Can’t see the 2nd half but looks like a win

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I didn't see the game either, but read Germany were using a 4-5-1, and then instantly realized hotjam2 correct when he said MVT doesn't know her best team yet... meaning that's now 5 different formations, for her first 5 matches as senior wnt coach...:speechless:

But reading somebody repeat the name Jones in relation to the performance, it really doesn't bode well for what I'll see later; as I felt MVT would struggle with tactical adjustments versus China and Spain, and from what I see here, I'm not going to be wrong.

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Steffi Jones - attacked the DFB yesterday was what I meant

Däbritz on the left, Huth on the right, Schweers for Simon and Magull in central midfield

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Really? That's interesting: she was one of the worse coaches ever seen in the women's game, and that's by the neutral point of view of a simple outside observer like me, not a German fan. What on earth should she complain about? That they actually took too much time to remove her?

10. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    https://fifafrauenwm.sportschau.de/...-attackiert-DFB-Spitze-,fifafrauenwm1404.html

Translate is quite okay if you want to use that

blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks. The translator actually can't explain the "Klüngel-Klüngel" idiom, but I can imagine what it means. Anyway, it's like I was supposing: Jones is only able to blame everything and everyone, but her obvious incompetence. I guess she lost a good chance to keep her mouth shut.

Thomsen repped this.
  12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Has she ever been a bit humble and suggested that she perhaps could’ve done things different...?

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow... the timing and the tone of this article makes sense... said nobody...:confused:

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #339 Batfink, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    And having watched the game now, the biggest issue I saw for Germany was the inability of various players to stay focused on playing the match, maintaining their preferred tempo/composure, in the face of China's constant dirty/physical play attempting to halt the flow of the match: which worked pretty well for China, thanks to the referee doing absolutely nothing to control the match.

As this constant fouling from China, mixed with their shift towards using a generally higher press, would result in Germany's mid-field dominance gradually disappearing over the course of the 1st half, closing off the passing options for the CB's, resulting in Doorsoun making horrible unforced errors that would almost cost her team the match.

However, luckily for Doorsoun (and the team), these potentially career defining errors didn't result in Germany conceding a goal, and actually saw her improve during the second half where MVT's strange decisions made life harder for her lol.

But this clear lack of understanding about their own system, is a major weakness of MVT's team that remains a remnant of past German wnt's. Meaning it wont be fixed over the course of this tournament, requiring MVT to find a way to hide this fact from her superior tactical opponents, who will see exactly what China accomplished, and use same or similar methods to try and expose Germany's biggest flaws.

blissett repped this.
  15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MVT also still needs to find a genuine centrepiece for her team too. As recognizing the error it was starting Däbritz (again) within a truly ineffective CM role, or seeing it was incorrect using a timid Gwinn ahead of better AM options, shows MVT at least knows there's a problem with balance that needs to be fixed.

But the methods she's used so far trying to fix these mistakes, aren't providing the positive conditions for somebody/anybody to finally step up and start being the driving force of everything positive this team hopes to accomplish.

With the best example being Marozsan as an amazing attacking talent, but never relevant to anything Germany does in attack...:confused:. Meaning MVT is going to need to make some serious choices about her mid-field, as that was meant to be the strongest area of her team, and so far she's really done nothing to help it prosper.

16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hegering was brilliant and youngster Oberdorf put of a cool, calm and composed performance. That being said, when they’re playing against established defense which is the hardest thing in football, they need someone able to take on people 1v1 which Däbritz on the left is the best suited to do

Svenja Huth is with respect no Caro Hansen. The reason why I compare them is the fact that she’s supposed to replace Hansen in Wolfsburg, but to be fair, having followed Huth, not that great of a player. She’s supposed to be fast but she’s really not that fast. Her technqiue doesn’t allow her to move fast either as it’s far from ideal. Her deliveries to the box is seriously bad and never reaches it targets because 1) she’s not that great of a passer and 2) sometimes she doesn’t actually look up to see if she’s got some teammates but instead shooting and hoping for the best. She’s not a bad player she’s to me the female version of Werner and completely useless against opposition like China

Alex Popp got too isolated on top and more needs to be coming from her in the next games, still made some good chances herself
    I really think again that we saw the best and worst from Doorsoun which is why I have been sceptical to her as she makes some really bad passing errors. Recovered well though and had a brilliant 2nd half in my opinion

Maro also injured

So I’d take Schweers for Simon and Sara Däbritz out on the left with Magull and Leupolz in the central midfield. Huth out and Gwinn out right with Hendrich or Maier as RB because Hendrich wasn’t really good yesterday...

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    She doesn't need to be... their two very different players, and most effective in very different ways.

I mean, playing for a weaker Potsdam side, Huth's consistently finished within the top 4-6 Bundesliga players each season for most goals and assists. With this season being Hansen's biggest standout moment, as she produced some of the highest single season assists rates the leagues ever season.

So I wouldn't be so quick to completely dismiss Huth, simply based on one international performance. Not when we all witnessed how nobody within Germany's attack could receive the ball early enough to actually produce any genuine end product.

If they simply passed the ball quicker (more 1 and 2 touch football) to help avoid the constant fouling of the Chinese, this wouldn't have been such an issue; as it would have seen Germany construct more 1v1, and 2v1 scenarios, far closer to the Chinese goal.

18. Core

Core Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My House
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have been around but just decided no to post due to things I've observed on the men forum. Thank God the women forum is different!

I would like to say special thanks to @Batfink , @hotjam2, @Thomsen, for keeping the women forum going. I visit this forum many times a day to read your comments!

The first game was not bad on result stand point as we got the 3pts and I personally liked how it played out because I do not want the team to be firing all the bullets just yet but going forward, few things will have to be fixed.

Thomsen and blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not a German fan, but I always support those that visit here on the women's section of BigSoccer many times a day! :)

Welcome on board! :thumbsup:

Core repped this.
  20. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    But with all respect, Huth struggles against opposition like China where Germany needed someone who’s able to go 1v1. She’s a great player no doubt, but she’s basically the female Werner and should be used against teams not parking the bus completely. And I’m not basing this on one NT performance because I’m pretty sure I’ve pointed it out earlier :whistling:

We’ll have to wait and see until they meet oppositions who don’t park the bus, because the team has struggled doing that as we’ve seen against Chile and China yesterday. Let’s remember that this team has beaten France and Sweden recently and tied Japan after two really bad errors by Schult

21. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I’m around in the men’s forum as well, and yes something feels different there. @Core But don’t be afraid to post here, we’re a nice group! Things really got spiced up after Germany’s unfortunate exit in the group stage last year... what a mess!

I don’t believe that Martina’s settled on an eleven yet so expect changes from game to game, but as I pointed out earlier this team has beaten France and Sweden and tied with Japan recently so there’s quality here :whistling:

Core repped this.
  22. Core

Core Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My House
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thank you! I have been following the women national team since the 2007 world cup. However; I do not follow the women league closely.. it's kind of boring to me:). I visit the men forum as well but I only to read. I won't be active there until Jogi Loew is gone and someone interesting takes over.

I have to admit the women forum is not busy and I increased my visit due to the world cup. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days to get a new post:):). Not complaining. I just visit for hope of finding something to read.

23. Core

Core Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My House
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see you there all the time. I like your Kimmich avatar! It reminds me of how young girls jump a rope when I was growing up:)! I have seen @hotjam2 at many places as well. He's a true soccer fan!

24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Kimmich’s pretty amazing and I think this team could’ve benefitted from having a character and a personality like him...