Das Martina-Upgrade: Sickle Cut Into Your Defense - Road to WWC 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by Lea_Schueller, Dec 1, 2018.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    and yet those last two(vs Japan) were among the easiest scored ever aganist a German defense

I though Neid/Low's tactics were quite similar in that they both play attack-by-numbers game. sending their FB's (as well on an occasion an CB)way up to where they become the wingers of team. That might feel like the sound, total futbol concept,, but left a skeleton crew to defend. In Low's case, in 2014, Boatang had a huge defensive gap to cover, which he did quite successfully, but by 2018, his aging legs couldn't handle it anymore.

So the worrysome is will MVT go the Neid/Low way? And just checking some of the opposition; England's new tactic is definitely giving up them midfield & while laying back, plotting quick counters as their game(vs Denmark( quite clearly shows)
    England 2-0 Denmark | Clinical Display Earns Lionesses Win | Lionesses - YouTube

at least the Danes kept theri defenders back there, but whats going on to happen if MVT sends most her players way too high?;Late in the game vs Japan, seemed like Gwinn of all the players, was the last defender back there to challange the J counters with her last ditch tackels

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 Again, all your doing is blindly repeating the same points that have shown no genuine correlation between the tactics of men's and women's football. Constantly forcing narratives that still have absolutely no context of the in game situations you describe with the current MVT German wnt...:confused:

Such as the two goals conceded versus Japan, that your now somehow trying to place on this nonsensical attachment to the perceived negatives of Löw/Neid DFB directed style of football.

When all the actual evidence of that match versus Japan, blatantly shows Schult doing what Schult does at her very worst, producing two horrendous unforced passing errors, versus a changed but still strong opponent that barley has more than 4 shots on goal the entire 90 mins of open play.

So how does this logic work, when easily accessible proof continues to say the exact opposite of this horrible narrative your always pushing; this being all German football somehow tactically inferior, with MVT continuing to stay true to this supposed handbook of failure...?

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #303 Batfink, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    From Neid's final WWC/Olympic teams, to a novice Jones, and then the stabilizing presence of Hrubesch, you can blatantly see MVT's current version of the wnt actually playing a the most impressive style of football.

But I know people will ignore this, because it's nicer/easier to think one of Germany's worst wnt's ever to take part in a Euro, as the present and future example of what we can all expect within elite women's football...:rolleyes:

Just like the horrible conclusions that arise when people ignore the perennial #2 team in Europe (Wolfsburg), destroying Spain's new champions over two matches in the UCL. But promote an awful UCL record Bayern losing two very closely contested UCL semi final matches versus Spain's #2 team, as German football continuing it's downward spiral....:confused:

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #304 Batfink, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    I mean, all you have to do is watch Hrubesch's team facing a low ranked Czech Republic during WC qualification, and see how much his team struggles to complete basic offensive and defending sequences of play. Then watch MVT's team versus any of her far tougher series of opponents France, Sweden, Japan...

It's not even debatable after that, as anybody without bais should clearly understand their watching the growth of a very good team, with a very clear style of play; this a style of play that for it's various minor issues, is still vastly more positive than anything witnessed with Neid's final years, Jones, or Hrubesch.

LOL, OFF A CORNER KICK... Your trying to use this scenario of Germany having players move forward for a late corner kick, as an example of them being tactically exposed by Japan's quick counter attacks...
    [​IMG]

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    They beat France, in France. They beat Sweden, in Sweden. And then draw with Japan at home. All three performances showing some impressive attacking football, the early stages of a new found tactical discipline, using 3 very different tactical formations.

And within all three of these matches, MVT's FB's are also never required to move ahead of the forwards, NOT ONCE. With the biggest defensive issue being GK selection, and whenever Leupolz isn't playing; as the team loses it's balance without a DM, causing the defense to come under more stress/pressure.

So where does this mythical men's handbook of Joachim Löw sending all his defenders forward, somehow put it's self at the forefront of MVT's German wnt...? It's just a lazy series of comparisons.

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Now that we're closing by, let's not forget that whoever's the referee can be the deciding factor of how far this team can go considering how the refereeing was 4 years ago lol
    the refereeing was awful

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Does anybody really think this is going to be a tournament of poor refereeing with the use of VAR...?

I'm pretty sure the assistance of video evidence will stop a lot of the nonsense witnessed during previous tournaments... no?

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #308 Batfink, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Oh, and I'm saying this now.... I think Benkarth is going to be Germany's #1 GK during this WC...:coffee:

The only factor Schult has on her side is experience, and a far more commanding presence of being able to safely claim high balls (she's taller); but with everything else (especially using her feet) I'm pretty sure Benkarth is showing the coaches she's the superior GK.

And this is potentially becoming very important within MVT's style of play during training, as she's clearly demanding her defense fully capable of comfortably passing the ball more effectively between themselves. This something Schult has always simply struggled to accomplish.

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My guess for the team versus Chile....
    ------------------------- Benkarth -------------------------
    Hendrich -- Doorsoun -- Hegering -- Schweers
    ------------------- Magull ---- Leupolz ------------------
    Huth ----------------- Marozsan -------------- Däbritz
    ---------------------------- Popp ---------------------------

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    but I ask about the same question over at the Spanish threat; do the woso or bro NT's play the similar, Tiki Taka style? and got to asnwer; yep, they do.

reading this article over at our top American/woso site; it does say MVT is an ardent admire of Jurgen Klopp, so there is hope, lol
    Germany team guide: 2019 Women’s World Cup – Equalizer Soccer

MVT has played 3 different styles in 3 games, so hence, we honestly don't know yet how she's going to play. I think it's going come down to more than anything else, how the players are going to assimilate to the complexity of different tactical changes every game

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Haven't seen the game but the score is Germany 2, Chile 0. Seemed like a strong, offensive lineup with Popp, Huth, Schuller, Dabritz & Maro starting. So kinda disappointing/low score(considering the Dutch beat them 7-0 last month)

Gwinn was a surprise starter at right FB. Oberdorf got to come in at CB in the 2nd half

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Only 2-0 vs Chile... do I even want to watch this...?
    [​IMG]

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well the workmanship was there, but otherwise very one dimensional attacking style focusing on getting the ball to Popp, who got enough chances against a rather shortish Chile defense, but usually headed the ball wide at point blank range. I definatly admired more Simon's individual goal(though not even sure if it was suppose to be a shot). Here is the full game, keep in mind, there's a reason why Chile is only ranked #39th in the world(there not very good!)

what was absolutely missing; no quick counters(but I don't think Vhile was bunkering) which I do feel Germany must have against the stronger teams

one prediction that I made that I've been completely wrong about; that sleeping giant of German broso fans will finally give their women's side a chance. Obviously it hasn't so far, or at least at this threat! lol

14. Germanyfan1993

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jun 17, 2018
    this match has made me nervous for the world cup now... reminds me of the men's team... tons of possession... goal opportunities, but can't get the final product.

Any guesses where Germany will end up in the end of the world cup?

15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #315 Batfink, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Watching this game...
    [​IMG]

The opponent so bad, I have a hard time seeing anything worthy of critiquing towards Germany's world cup hopes and fears.

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The way MVT treated this match, lead to the very unbalanced attacking play you noticed here, and was made even worse by the repeated wasteful efficiency of Popp missing everything good that came her way too.

I mean stuff like watching MVT wasting even more time with Gwinn (an impressive young wide AM) by starting her at RB, when she's still being caught out of position defensively on numerous occasions, and still a mediocre attacking force from deep positions; just like she's always been as a RB.

Or seeing Däbritz, a player who's entire career is defined by her strong performances out wide, stupidly being played ahead of Magull in a CM role even though she clearly doesn't understand the role in a team more desperate for a left sided wide AM lol.

MVT was still experimenting with factors that she, and her coaching staff, should all know by now don't actually work. Making this match not only supremely boring, but also highly frustrating viewing.

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The entire left side of Germany was useless for 90 mins, seeing Simon moving too far forward because of Schüller, and Dallmann, not being natural wide players both never wanting to remain out wide.

Meaning I can't understand the logic that see's Däbritz rendered useless in a CM role, when she's not only left footed, but also a strong AM who actually knows how to play out wide, preferring to run with the ball to be at her most effective...:confused:

LOL, this match having to be infuriating to the defenders in this squad too, as attackers like Oberdorf and Huth were needlessly reverted to improvised defenders for a second half where nothing improved.

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, and something that doesn't ever seem to make any sense to me is the women's international calendar... is there actually a set time table like the men, or this still as random as I believe it to be...?

And I ask this because Germany's preparation for this WC seems really short and pretty disorganized compared to their rivals, no?

Am I imagining this lol...:unsure:

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If they win their group, they should have an easier path ot the finals considering the other 3/4 top ranked teams(France, England & the US) would have to battle it out in the other half, playoff bracket(that's if those teams win their group as well.

for me; while not having a particular excepetional striker, Germany might just have something like 5 of the top 10 AM's in the world. But the problem is you can't play them all into one that one spot(central/attacking mid), so you got to play them out of position, which often means they can't play to their fullest potential, OR they seem to drift back into the congested central area, which is what happened yesterday.
    Plus, you got a new manager that has now switched tactics in all four games she's coached so far(with yesterday being the worst that she's coached). Got to wonder if rhis is some kind of ruse to confuse opposing scouts? But it must be a bitch for the players to switch to a new tactic game after game or at least it goes against the grain as most other NT's just try to play the same & perfect their particular style or tactic.

as I've mentioned, MVT keeps switching tactics every game, but this seemed more like shades of Stefi Jones, lol. Hopefully it's mean't to keep potential opponents off balance(and not show them your best).

I still say that Marozsan needs to go & be replaced by Dabritz at arguably the team's most importent position, AM. Maro has so far not have one impressive game,, she just don't seem to have any chemistry with her team mates

also

MVT got to get a sense of urgency/or speed into the attack. Every other team has it & that includes your faves, Japan, who might think is just a possession oriented style, but still hits you with unexpected long ball towards the targeted runners(their just more patient doing it than others) Perhaps MVT is saving this for later, but then she'll have to switch to Huth, Schuller or even Buhl upfront

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

You should really go back and watch some of the Jones era... They look NOTHING like they do now lol.

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree with complaints about Marozsan's inability to consistently play closer to Popp, making herself more of a legitimate goal threat for the team. But your missing two very important factors of her role as a CAM within this team, and the ability/skill set of somebody like Däbritz to potentially replace her...

1) Marozsan's ability to not only help the mid-fielders, but then quickly link with the attack with intelligent one/two touch passing, seems to be going unnoticed by you right now.

2) Of all the various AM options in this squad, Däbritz might be the worst option to play as the teams CAM lol. This with her having never (club, or any wnt level) produced a single impressive performance as the player who floats between the forwards and CM's.

So questioning Marozsan's chemistry with Popp is completely fair, seeing how they don't play close enough together to be considered a forward partnership. But your not understanding the full scope of her role as a CAM, if your simply suggesting it's just about scoring goals.

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No player will ever move faster than the ball... fact! So I'm lost on this logic a quicker passing Germany not playing like more individual/athletic USA, Sweden, Netherlands, France, is a negative, when it's NEVER been the case that a successful German wnt need to play like any of these nations in order to win elite matches of football...:confused:

I mean, Urgency/Speed clearly isn't the main issue with MVT's stylistic vision for the wnt, when her teams capable of wasting 32 shots vs Chile, and can only put less than half of those on target to produce 2 goals.

This only being the latest performance where they've wasted loads of great chances, in matches they've also produced rather impressive sequences of play, in performances that look significantly improved over whats been witnessed with the past 3 coaches.

So even if they haven't peaked yet, I still wouldn't be shocked if MVT's Germany give a few teams an emphatic beating using this style of football. As I've seen stylistically worse German wnt's win tournaments producing far worse passing football than we currently see now.

23. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, and what's one of my two main complaints about the German wnt program...? They don't have a consistent theme of tactics across all there age groups.

I mean... did you see the last Olympic finals featuring male and female German teams? Because besides them having slightly similar uniforms, there's no way you could honestly watch Hrubesch's men play, and then try to compare them with anything you were witnessing with Neid's wnt lol.

And even if I remove any direct comparison between the mnt and wnt program, the U-17 wnt recently won another European championship using a 4-2-3-1, but this only after having spent the entire year prior using a 5-1-3..:confused:

Showing just how pointless it is trying to shape a narrative about anything within wnt trying to replicate Löw or the mnt; and not when the wnt can't even maintain a consistent stylistic philosophy across any of it's own age groups

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Batfink@ just hope MVT switches her style at bit(from Chile) as she might otherwise be the only coach in the world that don't believe in getting players behind an opponents defence(without getting offisdes),

Watching the next door, Holland, unleash a barrage of long balls in their superb win over higher ranked Australia, plus attacking from wide end of both sides as well as through the center, seems like they at least have variety or unpredictability on their side(which I hoping that MVT will do as well)

obvioulsy the Chle game did NOT wake up that sleeping giant of German broso fans!(as now we're even missing Thomsen@)

but then the BS forum been loosing fans for years & take it will continue to do so as now the heavy handed mods are appaering again(hence got one of my posts delated)

25. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I watched the Chile game...
    but today it counts so let’s see what the girls can do