Alert: Danny Koevermans out for the season due to torn ACL

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by MightyMouse, Jul 15, 2012.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very concerned over the injury Koevermans received in the New England game. Looks like his left knee may have buckled and that is as bad as it can get almost for a player. Speedy recovery for one of my favorite players to watch in MLS.

2. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nothing good. It may take a day or two before we get definitive word but I can tell you that Koevs was spotted in the Boston airport in a wheelchair and with his leg in an immobilizer.

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Having had a serious MCL injury and a major ACL injury during my playing days, I'm guessing it's the latter.

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    If that's the case, he's possibly done for good. If it's his MCL, and it's not completely shredded, he could be back in a couple months.

5. #1TFC

#1TFC Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Section 123
    If bad, either way - MCL or ACL - he is done for us given age and contract. Slightly better chance with a MCL but his fitness will be gone, we wouldnt see him until mid late September so essentially next year. If MCL is shredded than it is over. Sad to say but I speak from two surgeries on my left knee. Never the same and after number 2 my running days were over. Number 2 happened because I started to run again after number 1.

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    A huge blow, for sure. Since the arrival the two DPs last year at this time, the team's success has really hinged on the form and health of these players. With Frings organizing things in the back and in midfield and Koevermans' scoring rate, the team had a good run of form to close last year. With Frings out of the line up with injury and Koevermans out of scoring form early in the season, things in the league went off the rails for Winter (especially that 1 - 5 record at home in the 1 and 9 start), costing him his job. The return of Koevermans' scoring touch at the beginning of Mariner's tenure is a big factor in the club getting some results that they otherwise might not have had. And now with this setback, it's looking pretty bleak right now.

7. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Assuming the worst, and that Danny K is done forever, what now? I hope it is not the case but if it is, what are the possibilities for replacing him according to MLS rules? Can we we replace him with a DP if we can find one, for the rest of this season? Can we also sign the central defender we desperately need? Enquiring minds want to know.

8. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I believe that under the rules, a teamcan apply for some cap relief if a player is going to be out injured for a long period of time. Not sure how this works with dp spots though

9. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    If that is the case and the worst comes to worst, I wonder what it would take to get a guy like Peter Crouch away from Stoke? I have long thought he would work well in North America and his days of playing for England may now be behind him. On the other hand, he is only 31 and should have a lot of good mileage left in him. He has a great scoring touch and would certainly provide a great target. Of course, I don't know a thing about his current contract or whether he would even be interested in coming over. Just thinking.

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Peter Crouch is not much of an upgrade over your average MLS striker. Trust me, I'm a Spurs fan. He also cost Stoke £10m last summer to buy.

11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you were looking to England....you probably are looking more at Michael Owen....who is shopping for a new PL gig but if he does not find one he has already said he would rather go overseas than to the Championship.

12. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heard one report that says K.'s out with an ACL injury..six to nine months.

13. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
  14. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's an understatement, I know. But this sucks big time. He is one of the reasons we've been doing better of late, not Mariner or formations, or anything. He started off the season slow, was out of shape. It was after that 0-9 worst team in the world comment that he started to put his money where his mouth was, and he's been consistent since then. Even last game, it was a nice toe-tap to Silva that gave him the goal.
    We can't replace him so easily.

15. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not good to hear, but I think from the moment he went down everyone's best hope was that he'd be ready at the start of next season.

16. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    if he decides to call it a career or TFC want to cut ties, it's too bad he didn't have another 10-12 games under his belt in MLS; could've established himself as the best pure scorer DP ever, cemented a wall of fame spot. rough situation all 'round.

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    not to be too pessimistic but that would seem to be a stretch now. 6 - 9 months means february to May 2013.

Sadly, the club has a really tough choice to make now. Do you work on Danny's knee...hope it all goes well and start next year with a full cap hit (plus the additional money that no one outside of the board room should care about) tied up in what will be a 34 year old striker trying to come back from knee surgery? Or do you negotiate his retirement, thank him for his service and find a more certain way to spend that cap hit (and, likely, more money that no one outside the board room should care about).

I am not sure which way they should go....glad it is not me making the decision......but I think I would be leaning towards Danny calling it a day...not happy about that, but it is the most logical way to go.

18. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Revs fan I just want to say how much it sucks that our famous turf monster claimed another victim. Best of luck to Danny in his recovery.

19. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, I for one would hope that no one within our club blames turf. Afterall, this coming Saturday, for the 2nd time this year, TFC are playing a home match on Turf......like farting and burbing, you only get to complain about it if you never do it yourself

21. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I hate to say it but to be brutally honest, the best thing for the club to do is to cut ties, given the injury and Danny's age. It is horrible to say it because he has been so good since he got here. Nevertheless, the risk is too great. We need someone now.

22. TOFC/ARSENAL

TOFC/ARSENAL Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Michael Owen was a great talent but he is also an injury waiting to happen. I'd sooner wait for Danny to recover and I don't recommend that either.

23. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    from 3 dps down to 1 in less than a week.....

24. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yeah, that'll do a lot to improve the team's image of being a soulless corporation that doesn't give a shit about it's players.

RedCoatsforever repped this.