Dan Brown's the Lost Symbol

Discussion in 'Books' started by the cup, Sep 10, 2009.

1. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Anyone going to rush out and get it?

I'm not a big reader and I haven't read any of his books (I did see the Da Vinci Code movie in the theater though) but I do think I will go out and get this one for a couple of reasons.

First, the book comes out on Sept. 15th which is my birthday, so maybe this will be a birthday gift to myself.

Second, Dan Brown was out here in Utah a year or two ago looking at symbols that are on the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City. I'm curious to see if any of that makes it into the book.

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to dress as Harry Potter and be the first to buy it at midnight tonight and read the whole thing before I go to work tomorrow.

3. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    If you're not a big reader, then you're probably Dan Brown's target audience! ;)

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oof. The Doc wins. Fatality.

5. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on getting it today, and hopefully won't remember the formula DB uses to write all of his books... it has been 5 years since i read one of his books... and i avoided Angels and Demons at the theater...

6. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I went out and got it, happy birthday to me.

Barnes and Noble had it for 40% off, not bad at all.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you like it so far Cup? I enjoyed his other Robert Langdon books, although I wasn't too impressed with the movies (especially A&D). I did look at it at the store today, but didn't buy.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ordered it from Amazon today. Should be here by Thursday.

I work in DC. Can't wait to see the influx of tourists coming to look around the federal buildings for "lost symbols" as the book hits the bestseller lists

Hopefully he put in a disclaimer that you should STAND TO THE RIGHT on the Metro escalator. The left side is for people who are walking. :D

9. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Don't be an "escalefter" :)

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just finished it. I loved his two previous Langdon novels but was very disappointed in this one. It reminded me of Harris' other Hannibal Lector novels in that he didn't know how to deal with success. Things had to be more fantastic, more unbelievable. Like a bad movie sequel -- bigger isn't always better. He lost sight of what made his other books so enjoyable. Seems like he concentrated so much on trying to outdo his previous work that he forgot to just write a good story. I was rolling my eyes at a lot of it.
    the funny thing is through most of this novel Langdon keeps saying 'I'm not sure I believe this' .... I'm right there with you, brother.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each his own. I'm about half way through, and I'm loving the book.

12. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished it...

Having read 3 of the 4 other Dan Brown books, I am happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this one... I would recommend it... It seemed to drag on at the end but overall it was still a good read, a page turner at times, and one heckuva twist that I just didn't see coming, immersed amoung several that I did see, which made it more exciting...

I liked it better than DiVinci Code, but not as good as Angels & Demons, though not by much...

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? you guys liked it? you bought the bad guy? you didn't think that he spent his entire book overpromising this great truth at the end only to be let down?

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we need to be a [R] in this titles thread?

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dunno ... the book's been out for a bit. what do people think is being discussed in here? think the fact that there's results (so to speak) in here is a given. :)

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we need results.

Also, who didn't figure out the antagonist's real identity by the time Peter went to the Turkish prison to talk to the warden? That was pretty obvious, and kind of disappointing.

And yeah, I agree that the ending went on far too long.

I guess the main reason I liked it though is that I happen to work about three blocks from the US Capitol building.

17. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Finished it last night. Very dissapointed.

I thought it was too heavy on the historical 'facts' towards the end and the twist at the end was far too obvious, I guessed it after about 50 pages.

Shame, I liked DVC & A&D

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not me! :eek:

19. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nor i

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought the most unbelivable part of the book was [result]the Redskins having a home playoff game. I mean I can accept the "hidden history of Washington DC, but the Skins in the playoffs... that's a bit much![/result]

21. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I have to agree with that! :D:D

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I finished it last night, enjoyed it until the last 50 pages or so. Then it dragged and became very predictable almost "preachy".

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, there's one thing about this that's bugging me and maybe I missed it first time through. But can someone tell me how Sato got a copy of the video beforehand? I don't think the bad guy wanted to tip the CIA off beforehand and I'm not sure how else they would have gotten it unless he gave it to them.

24. babyrick

babyrick New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Read it, i liked the setting of the book in Washington DC, started well with some interesting characters, but don't think it all came together at the end.

25. lorena23

lorena23 New Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I just discovered that author 1 year ago ( i was not that into cinema or books when the whole Da vinci Code thing cane out ) but i read the book then and i really loved it . I also read A&D which was quite good , i am really looking forward to get this one , although most comments says that it's not as good as the 2 first one .