Daily Mail Top 50 players ever

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PDG1978, Jun 14, 2009.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #2026 carlito86, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Roberto Baggio is a player who had a well defined peak despite the many injuries that effected his career
    His 1993 uefa cup performance is one of the best in history check what he did to PSG/Dortmund in the deep rounds with some great goals and playmaking that laudrup never showed in any premier European club competition
    (the footage is available on YouTube for you to watch)

I’m not an expert on specific MVB seasons although I do know gullit and maradona were widely considered to be at the same level in 1987
    Van bastens best ever European form was in 89 and here he definitely takes a dump on any European campaign by maradona(in his life)

All these players except laudrup have defining/dominant showings in major competitions
    Rivaldo in
    copa 99
    WC 02
    In 98/99 club season he was far above any season of laudrup without a shadow of a doubt

Baggio at least had
    WC94
    UEFA Cup 1993
    And some very good league seasons to support his greatness(and in the best league in the world unlike La Liga in the early 90s which wasn’t much better than eredivisie or the English Premiership)

The stats of savecivic are misleading because he could not play often for Milan due to the 3 player foreigner rule
    in European Cup however were he was played more frequently he has performances above anything of laudrup

Without at least 1 standout legendary campaign laudrup can’t be in the running for best player of a entire decade when many 90s players had higher peaks

Amongst others I did not mention as Gabriel Batistuta in his role was just as important and was actually great in the Copa America(better than laudrup was in international or continental tournaments)

2. Kochees

Kochees Member

Hajduk Split, Tottenham
    Croatia
    May 13, 2017
    Croatia
    I respect your arguments, but our benchmarks are simply not the same. Laudrup had a very good Euro 84. Rivelino said that before the knock-out system Laudrup was the best player at the World Cup 86. For World Cup 98 he was chosen among the top 16. He then got the score of Pele: "You're making football with him to admire him. Extremely intelligent footballer who has a velvety technique like nobody." He won the 1995 IC when the incomplete Denmark defeated Argentina with Batistita 2-0. Laudrup (club / continental) - 74 matches, 22 goals, 19 assists Laudrup (EC, WC) - 19 matches, 3 goals, 7 assists. But I would agree that the best games ever played in the domestic league. Guardiola: "Ballon d or nothing is worth it because Laudrup has never won it." I think Puck even published it here somewhere. Well, I'm glad we talked a little.

carlito86 repped this.
  3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your criteria for defining greatness is slightly different from mine and that’s not a problem

If it helps Micheal laudrup would make my top 30 all time if the criteria was strictly focusing on skillset and beauty of the game

I just think he fell way behind When consistency+big game moments are considered
    Laudrup was hardly ever the guy to be a game changer
    Not even like Zidane who is less talented then him IMO(or even as a stoichkov or hagi 94)

The greatness of laudrup has more to do with him make those around him better
    He wasn’t made for the spotlight I don’t think
    Top 20 all timers should be strictly those who thrive under pressure situations and are the go to players in major championships

4. Kochees

Kochees Member

Hajduk Split, Tottenham
    Croatia
    May 13, 2017
    Croatia
    Laudrup played in the team they called - "Dream Team". His teammates: Bakero, Guardiola, Koeman, Ferrer, Beguiristain, even Stoichkov himself made the statement that Laudrup was the first name of the team. For Romario was the first one after him. I found your list. For me it is really funny to see Hagi in 32rd place as much as the talented player was. Savićević in 41rd place !!! Where is his international career? I've already written about his club career. All right, that's your subjective assessment. I doubt that most football analysts would agree with you that Hagi and Savicevic are part of it. Same as with me that Laudrup and Ronaldinho are among the top 10. I'm Xavi really liked but 25th place ?? Savicevic is probably not among the top 5 in Yugoslavia. Dzajic, Modric, Vukas, Bobek, Sekularac and perhaps Sušić and Beara were better. But that is your subjective judgment, and I respect it. Can you say a bit more about putting Savicevic and Hagi into those positions?

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    In the year 1999, Michal Laudrup was officially selected as the 'Best Foreign Player in Spanish football the past 25 years' (1974 to 1999) ...

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Btw... when Laudrup was selected as the 'Best Foreign Player in Spanish football the past 25 years' it was obviously ahead of the likes of Johan Cruijff, Hagi, Stoichkov, Ronaldo, Romario, Roberto Carlos, Johan Neeskens, Maradona and whoever else played there between 1974 and 1999

7. Bruford

Bruford Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Most recent rankings made by recognized publications are the ones by dutch Voetbal International and britain four Four two, am I right? Can not find a link to Voetbal International ranking. Curious thing is that none of Voetbal or Four four two put Pelé at first, this was on the news on Brazil TV in the time.

There was a nice attempt by L´Equipe to make a top 50 of south american players back in 2015. I was disinterested about football for many years and trying now to get some informations again.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-100-greatest-footballers-ever

https://www.lequipe.fr/Top/Football/top50-joueurs-sud-americains/3/ (miss Riquelme on this one. Maybe I´m biased towards him, but the guy was literally feared by brazilian clubs for a decade or so in Libertadores).

8. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    Don't worry about that list. It is below this forum;)

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm not looking to kick-start voting on this thread, or incorporate this list into the existing results, but I noticed an interesting top 50 attempt from '90 Minutes':
    https://www.90min.com/posts/6367400-the-50-greatest-footballers-of-all-time

It is labelled 'Greatest players', but is actually specifically focusing on peak, and with that in mind plus the fact it is 50 players I thought it suited this thread so I didn't stick it on the newer 'Best Players of All-Time' one which has anyway become a general purpose thread with no sign of voting kicking-off as originally intended.

The write-ups aren't extensive but might be interesting to look at (there is plenty of attempted humour, but decent knowledge incorporated too).

I'm not going to offer my own list for comparison this time, partly because more recently in my head I was actually moving a little bit away from a peak-based effort.

For the record, in case the link dies at any stage, this is the 50 chosen by the 90 Minutes contributor (it appears one person chose them rather than it being a team effort, perhaps unlike the lists which kicked off this thread from the Daily Mail and the Championship Manager 'boffins'), revealed in reverse order as in the article:
    50 - Luka Modric
    49 - John Charles
    48 - Hugo Sanchez
    47 - Jairzinho
    46 - Omar Sivori
    45 - Paolo Rossi
    44 - Paul Breitner
    43 - George Weah
    42 - Kaka
    41 - Lev Yashin
    40 - Gunnar Nordahl
    39 - Kevin Keegan
    38 - Hristo Stoichkov
    37 - Gianluigi Buffon
    36 - Johan Neeskens
    35 - Xavi
    34 - Luis Suarez Miramontes
    33 - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    32 - Andres Iniesta
    31 - Rivelino
    30 - Bobby Moore
    29 - Socrates
    28 - Sandor Kocsis
    27 - Lothar Matthaus
    26 - Ronaldinho
    25 - Ruud Gullit
    24 - Bobby Charlton
    23 - Giussepe Meazza
    22 - Raymond Kopa
    21 - Romario
    20 - Eusebio
    19 - Marco van Basten
    18 - George Best
    17 - Zico
    16 - Franco Baresi
    15 - Cristiano Ronaldo
    14 - Ferenc Puskas
    13 - Paolo Maldini
    12 - Gerd Muller
    11 - Garrincha
    10 - Alfredo Di Stefano
    9 - Roberto Baggio
    8 - Michel Platini
    7 - Ronaldo
    6 - Zinedine Zidane
    5 - Johan Cruyff
    4 - Franz Beckenbauer
    3 - Lionel Messi
    2 - Pele
    1 - Diego Maradona

Titanlux and wm442433 repped this.
  10. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Respectable list as all, although not share much of it. At this point, I think that, unlike Pele and Maradona, Messi has not achieved any world championship, could be considered perfectly the best footballer of all time. Year after year it proves it and it delights us with unforgettable plays and goals.
    Cristiano Ronaldo also deserves a much better place. Surprising that it is behind Maldini, Baggio or Muller, for example.
    Socrates 29º ?, Kaká 42º ?, Rossi 45º? ...
    Anyway, the attempt is very much appreciated.

11. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    For Ronaldo:

"Ok, ok, ok, I get it. You're upset.

But there's no need to be upset.

Really, it's all going to be ok. You're going to be annoyed at the fact that Cristiano Ronaldo is only 15th in 90min's Greatest Footballers of All Time list for three or four hours tops, and then go back to your day. You might go back to work. You might do the ironing. You might even bake a cake.

It will ALL BE OK."

Ronaldo is simply another player who - like Franco Baresi - is hurt by the criteria of this list. That by no means means we don't think he is a fantastic footballer. He is. The stats prove it. The goals prove it. The five Ballons d'Or prove it. CR7 is one of the best players of his generation. A player who has found the net with such consistency that a 40 goal season is actually somewhat disappointing.

It will ALL BE OK."

Definition of click-bait. "He's hurt by the criteria of this list" lol Might as well have said "my criteria is clearly faulty and my list is consequently crap".

carlito86 repped this.
  12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He meant that he feels that Cristiano Ronaldo's longevity, like Baresi's, would be better than some of the players placed above him.

I don't really want to get into any CR7 debate again of any kind whatsoever now myself, so am just clarifying this for you (although maybe you understood that anyway).

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I do feel like the Maldini write-up is a bit exaggerated to say the least to be fair, containing hyberbole, but he probably didn't mean it literally. Maybe I'm surprised if he is also not 'hurt by the criteria' to an extent, but I think it's only one person's list and he said himself that he hoped it wouldn't generate too many complaints etc so I guess he wants it to be taken in a light hearted way and recognised as just one person's nice attempt which is fair enough I think.

Titanlux repped this.
  14. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Of course. It is not a complaint or desire to discuss. Quite the opposite. I find it absurd and unnecessary to enter into discussions on issues that are often subjective. That is why my criteria are based on objective figures. I just wanted to give my opinion, even being aware that not everyone wants to understand it as what it is, just an opinion. If you ask me, who do you think is the best footballer you've ever seen ?, without hesitation I would say Messi. If they ask me to name 7 or 8, Cristiano Ronaldo would be among those names almost certainly. But it is only an opinion, as respectable as any other, but at the same time, as easy to not be shared as any other.

carlito86 repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, of course, your opinion is valid too just like his, and it's inevitable people will differ in views. I feel in football, unlike perhaps Darts or Golf, it's hard to really present anything as 'objective' as so many factors are involved and in essence it's a team game too, but I know what you mean and I didn't have a problem with your post (I hope it didn't seem like I did).

16. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    No partner. Your opinions are always moderate and I have them in mind because they provide wisdom, both in what you say and, above all, in how you say it. My last post wants to go in that same line. I just wanted to clarify my opinion after the response to my first post commenting the ranking.

PDG1978 repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The two most dominant players in history are Pele (in a Santos and Brazil shirt) and Messi (in a Barcelona shirt). Johan Cruijff easily the biggest difference maker (e.g. Ajax the very smallest team to win the European Cup).

18. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Opinions and all... but Maldini having a higher peak than CR (and many more) is really something else. :laugh:

benficafan3 repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This list is a trainwreck, a product of the big nations echo chamber. Although the mouthpieces are numerous (dearman, titanlux, ariaga) there is no way beckenfraud had the third highest peak, not even on his home turf and home stadium.

Problem is also which time span you take. Peak of five months? One month? A year?

20. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Falcão is underrated imo, he was like the 1-2º best player of the Brazilian League in the 75-80 period and the some users here rate him as the best player of the Italian League in the first half of 80's, also very very technical midfielder.

La-Máquina and carlito86 repped this.
  21. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    TOP50 Maldini

50. Sócrates 49. Gordon Banks 48. Oleg Blokhin 47. Schiaffino 46. Frank Rijkaard 45. Elías Figueroa 44. Omar Sívori 43. Dennis Law 42. Kevin Keegan 41. Daniel Passarella 40. Roberto Rivelino 39. Luís Figo 38. Gianluigi Buffon 37. Kenny Dalglish 36. Ruud Gullit 35. Raúl González 34. Carlos Alberto 33. Zlatan Ibrahimovic 32. Ryan Giggs 31. Teófilo Cubillas 30. Hugo Sánchez 29. Lothar Matthäus 28. Bobby Moore 27. Zico 26. Paco Gento 25. Luís Suárez 24. Lev Yashin 23. Roberto Baggio 22. Andrés Iniesta 21. Iker Casillas 20. Gerd Müller 19. Ferenc Puskás 18. Zinedine Zidane 17. Xavi Hernández 16. Michel Platini 15. Romario 14. Garrincha 13. Bobby Charlton 12. Van Basten 11. Eusebio 10. Ronaldinho 9. George Best (Irl. N.) 8. Frankz Beckenbauer 7. Cristiano Ronaldo 6. Ronaldo 5. Johan Cruyff 4. Alfredo Di Stéfano 3. Pelé 2. Leo Messi 1. Maradona

Titanlux repped this.
  22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks for the contribution mate.

When I read your post on email (with he video not visible) I thought for a minute it was by Paolo Maldini lol! But now I realise it is the Spanish journalist. Thanks anyway.

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I did finally have a go at 125 names, for an updated/latest idea as of 2020 and with my latest criteria (which is still not complicated and largely values idea of peak level, just like I suppose the one of Maldini (Julio Maldonado - interesting that comparing my effort with his there is surely a slight Spanish/English difference as might be expected...which would perhaps reflect that we are all less likely to miss or under-value legends of our own nations in any estimation...and also interesting that there is probably a slightly more pronounced difference even reflecting eras that does seem to relate to date of birth even if neither I or he necessarily think we over-stacked on 80s/90s players in my case or 70s/80s ones from a decade or so earlier in his). I had started to try to reflect the longevity a little as well as peak impact (not purely level) and consistency within peak, without trying to apply it in mathematical terms.

I doubt I will try to write any paragraphs about each player, even though that idea is nice and your own write-ups were great as others said 3 years ago! It's possible I could try a five part video series on Youtube with just a few clips of each player, for public viewing this time but I wouldn't want to commit to saying I definitely will as I might well not do (I did make the video for top 50 as per the results on this thread at a certain point - the one you liked including the 'Outrun' music wm - available for public viewing now on Youtube but not labelling it as a Big Soccer Top 50).

Anyway, while I was doing it I started to think that in a lot of ways it is easier and more sensible to actually split things into two lists for living players and deceased players. Trying to compare some very old legends with modern players is definitely very tricky I think! I know some players die before their time but that doesn't really apply to any recently active all-time great candidate football players I don't think, so at this point, in 2020, maybe it's particularly suitable to make two lists indeed (anybody would be welcome to add their own to this thread based on their own criteria - not to re-start voting but more just as a place to share such lists - maybe @comme or @Tom Stevens for example would think it is a suitable concept for their own projects with their own specific criteria for example, or likewise @Perú FC or @PuckVanHeel might like to do something based on their own ideas).

So here is my nominal 1 to 125 (which without showing the numbers in the combined list partly to avoid arguments and partly indeed because it is hard to try to be precise about choice especially over all eras, I can confirm is in other words Pele to Susic - by the way two living players I thought would be in until final adjustments would be Gunter Netzer and Luis Suarez Miramontes, while two deceased players I had in mind but felt it was hard to be convinced about when deciding on close calls for the end of the list were Tommy Lawton and Obdulio Varela), but in two separate lists that I think are more comparable in some respects (even if due to criteria, or just due to slight differences in perceptions in general, no two of us would be near identical...and I guess we continue to assume that when Voetbal International and FourFourTwo seemingly got quite close to that it was in part down to the use of VI's list by FourFourTwo as a template for their own publication!).

Living players
    1 - Pele
    2 - Diego Maradona
    3 - Michel Platini
    4 - Franz Beckenbauer
    5 - Lionel Messi
    6 - Marco van Basten
    7 - Zinedine Zidane
    8 - Bobby Charlton
    9 - Ronaldo
    10 - Franco Baresi
    11 - Zico
    12 - Cristiano Ronaldo
    13 - Michael Laudrup
    14 - Gerd Muller
    15 - Luis Figo
    16 - Roberto Baggio
    17 - Ronaldinho
    18 - Gianni Rivera
    19 - Kenny Dalglish
    20 - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    21 - Ruud Gullit
    22 - Lothar Matthaus
    23 - Thierry Henry
    24 - Dennis Bergkamp
    25 - Johan Neeskens
    26 - Paolo Maldini
    27 - Gheorghe Hagi
    28 - Dejan Savicevic
    29 - George Weah
    30 - Andriy Shevchenko
    31 - Cafu
    32 - Jurgen Klinsmann
    33 - Peter Schmeichel
    34 - Romario
    35 - Dragan Dzajic
    36 - Frank Rijkaard
    37 - Jairzinho
    38 - Kaka
    39 - Francesco Totti
    40 - Raul
    41 - Rivelino
    42 - Mario Kempes
    43 - Eric Cantona
    44 - Patrick Vieira
    45 - Fernando Redondo
    46 - Jimmy Greaves
    47 - Just Fontaine
    48 - Gary Lineker
    49 - Robert Pires
    50 - Ruud Krol
    51 - Pavel Nedved
    52 - David Beckham
    53 - Glenn Hoddle
    54 - Ryan Giggs
    55 - Brian Laudrup
    56 - Matthias Sammer
    57 - Rivaldo
    58 - Gabriel Batistuta
    59 - Tostao
    60 - Denis Law
    61 - Jean Tigana
    62 - Xavi
    63 - Andres Iniesta
    64 - Gerson
    65 - Rob Rensenbrink
    66 - Gianluigi Buffon
    67 - Teofilo Cubillas
    68 - Jan Ceulemans
    69 - Paolo Rossi
    70 - Sandro Mazzola
    71 - Dragan Stojkovic
    72 - Paulo Roberto Falcao
    73 - Rui Costa
    74 - Enzo Scifo
    75 - Paul Gascoigne
    76 - Preben Elkjaer
    77 - Davor Suker
    78 - Pierre Littbarski
    79 - Elias Figueroa
    80 - Wlodzimierz Lubanski
    81 - John Barnes
    82 - John Robertson
    83 - Hristo Stoichkov
    84 - Peter Shilton
    85 - Safet Susic

Deceased players
    1 - Johan Cruyff
    2 - Alfredo Di Stefano
    3 - George Best
    4 - Eusebio
    5 - Ferenc Puskas
    6 - Bobby Moore
    7 - Lev Yashin
    8 - Garrincha
    9 - Tom Finney
    10 - Stanley Matthews
    11 - Giussepe Meazza
    12 - Juan Schiaffino
    13 - Raymond Kopa
    14 - Gordon Banks
    15 - Socrates
    16 - Didi
    17 - Duncan Edwards
    18 - Nandor Hidegkuti
    19 - Gaetano Scirea
    20 - Carlos Alberto
    21 - Laszlo Kubala
    22 - Nils Liedholm
    23 - John Charles
    24 - Florian Albert
    25 - Jozsef Bozsik
    26 - Kazimierz Deyna
    27 - Sandor Kocsis
    28 - Gyorgy Sarosi
    29 - Matthias Sindelar
    30 - Silvio Piola
    31 - Jose Manuel Moreno
    32 - Valentino Mazzola
    33 - Zizinho
    34 - Josef Bican
    35 - Josef Masopust
    36 - Ademir de Menezes
    37 - Faas Wilkes
    38 - Fritz Walter
    39 - Gunnar Nordahl
    40 - Ernst Ocwirk

I can show a breakdown of wm's 125 in the same way soon (it results in 83 living players and 42 deceased so similar numbers to mine in that respect) , and I can also show a list of the 51 living players we both included, and one for the 27 deceased players likewise (in order of points they'd have if using a full list of 125 players each in order, even if some other players would have been getting a good number of points due to one of us placing quite high up). I'm not going to start combining votes anyway and allocating a running total of points again I don't think anyway, just to be clear again, so it's more as an illustrative example.

wm442433, PuckVanHeel and comme repped this.
  24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #2049 PDG1978, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Yeah, so the post I quoted had all the names of those selected in @wm442433 s 125 anyway, but here they are indeed sorted into living and deceased players...

Living players
    1 - Lionel Messi
    2 - Pele
    3 - Diego Maradona
    4 - Michel Platini
    5 - Ronaldo
    6 - Zinedine Zidane
    7 - Franz Beckenbauer
    8 - Marco van Basten
    9 - Ruud Gullit
    10 - Cristiano Ronaldo
    11 - Zico
    12 - Ronaldinho
    13 - Rivaldo
    14 - Romario
    15 - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    16 - Tostao
    17 - Michael Laudrup
    18 - Rivelino
    19 - Gianni Rivera
    20 - Luis Suarez Miramontes
    21 - Bobby Charlton
    22 - Roberto Baggio
    23 - Dennis Bergkamp
    24 - Gerd Muller
    25 - Andres Iniesta
    26 - Kaka
    27 - Kevin Keegan
    28 - Bernd Schuster
    29 - George Weah
    30 - Thierry Henry
    31 - Jairzinho
    32 - Mario Kempes
    33 - Dragan Dzajic
    34 - Allan Simonsen
    35 - Oleg Blokhin
    36 - Andriy Shevchenko
    37 - Francesco Totti
    38 - Alessandro Del Piero
    39 - Gerson
    40 - Sandro Mazzola
    41 - Safet Susic
    42 - Paulo Roberto Falcao
    43 - Lothar Matthaus
    44 - Xavi
    45 - Andrea Pirlo
    46 - Gunter Netzer
    47 - Dragan Stojkovic
    48 - Juan Roman Riquelme
    49 - Teofilo Cubillas
    50 - Raul
    51 - Neymar
    52 - Luis Suarez
    53 - Enzo Francescoli
    54 - Kenny Dalglish
    55 - Luis Figo
    56 - Gheorghe Hagi
    57 - Hristo Stoichkov
    58 - Careca
    59 - Pavel Nedved
    60 - Dejan Savicevic
    61 - Johan Neeskens
    62 - Alain Giresse
    63 - Paul Breitner
    64 - Jean Tigana
    65 - Toninho Cerezo
    66 - Rob Rensenbrink
    67 - Arjen Robben
    68 - Michael Ballack
    69 - Zlatan Ibrahimovic
    70 - Uwe Seeler
    71 - Junior
    72 - Wolfgang Overath
    73 - Wim van Hanegem
    74 - Bebeto
    75 - Emilio Butragueno
    76 - Clarence Seedorf
    77 - Kurt Hamrin
    78 - Francesco Gento
    79 - Just Fontaine
    80 - Luigi Riva
    81 - Roberto Bettega

Deceased players
    1 - Johan Cruyff
    2 - Alfredo Di Stefano
    3 - Ferenc Puskas
    4 - Eusebio
    5 - Garrincha
    6 - Raymond Kopa
    7 - Didi
    8 - Zizinho
    9 - Lazslo Kubala
    10 - Jose Manuel Moreno
    11 - Gyorgy Sarosi
    12 - Giussepe Meazza
    13 - Matthias Sindelar
    14 - George Best
    15 - Omar Sivori
    16 - Socrates
    17 - Juan Schiaffino
    18 - Leonidas
    19 - Arthur Friedenreich
    20 - Larbi Ben Barek
    21 - Hector Scarone
    22 - Florian Albert
    23 - Nandor Hidegkuti
    24 - Eduard Streltsov
    25 - Adolfo Pedernera
    26 - Valentino Mazzola
    27 - Gunnar Gren
    28 - Jose Leandro Andrade
    29 - Kazimierz Deyna
    30 - Julinho
    31 - Tom Finney
    32 - Sandor Kocsis
    33 - John Charles
    34 - Joszef Bozsik
    35 - Stanley Matthews
    36 - Jose Piendebene
    37 - Fritz Walter
    38 - Stjepan Bobek
    39 - Giovanni Ferrari
    40 - Ademir de Menezes
    41 - Jair Rosa Pinto
    42 - Arsenio Erico
    43 - Raimundo Orsi
    44 - Francisco Varallo

So it was 81 and 44 players respectively (I counted without the help of my spreadsheet just out of curiosity originally I think).

I think it does help in some ways to split the lists up like this anyway, so that things aren't too incomparable for players in the same list (albeit with a few who died relatively young, seemingly in the 'wrong' list at present).

wm442433 and Edhardy repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just to correct myself in case it confused anyone: this video I referred to has just the top 25 from the combined results of votes on this thread (from a point within the year before wm even made his list of 125 players, and considering all votes since 2009 including some by people who haven't posted since then on this thread at least hence we don't know how much their vote might have changed):

I think what I'd also done (before that IIRC) was do a top 50 rundown including a selected Youtube video for each player within the 50 as I revealed what I was calling the final results of the voting, or latest results anyway.

This is the list of a round 50 living players me and wm both had in our lists anyway, by theoretical order based on points total combining those lists (Stoichkov being the 51st and final name in both lists):
    Pele (Brazil)
    Maradona (Argentina)
    Messi (Argentina)
    Platini (France)
    Beckenbauer (Germany)
    Zidane (France)
    Van Basten (Netherlands)
    Ronaldo (Brazil)
    C.Ronaldo (Portugal)
    Zico (Brazil)
    Ronaldinho (Brazil)
    Gullit (Netherlands)
    M.Laudrup (Denmark)
    B.Charlton (England)
    Rummenigge (Germany)
    Rivera (Italy)
    G.Muller (Germany)
    Baggio (Italy)
    Romario (Brazil)
    Bergkamp (Netherlands)
    Henry (France)
    Rivelino (Brazil)
    Weah (Liberia)
    Rivaldo (Brazil)
    Kaka (Brazil)
    Shevchenko (Ukraine)
    Matthaus (Germany)
    Dzajic (Yugoslavia)
    Jairzinho (Brazil)
    Tostao (Brazil)
    Figo (Portugal)
    Dalglish (Scotland)
    Kempes (Argentina)
    Totti (Italy)
    Hagi (Romania)
    Neeskens (Netherlands)
    Iniesta (Spain)
    Savicevic (Yugoslavia)
    Raul (Spain)
    Gerson (Brazil)
    Xavi (Spain)
    Nedved (Czech Republic)
    S.Mazzola (Italy)
    Falcao (Brazil)
    Cubillas (Peru)
    Stojkovic (Yugoslavia)
    Tigana (France)
    Fontaine (France)
    Susic (Yugoslavia)
    Rensenbrink (Netherlands)

This would be the list of deceased players in both wm's list and mine rounded to 25 names (Ademir and Walter being the others in both lists)
    Cruyff (Netherlands)
    Di Stefano (Argentina)
    Puskas (Hungary)
    Eusebio (Portugal)
    Best (Northern Ireland)
    Garrincha (Brazil)
    Kopa (France)
    Meazza (Italy)
    Schiaffino (Uruguay)
    Didi (Brazil)
    Socrates (Brazil)
    Kubala (Hungary/Czechoslovakia)
    Finney (England)
    Sarosi (Hungary)
    Hidegkuti (Hungary)
    Sindelar (Austria)
    Zizinho (Brazil)
    Moreno (Argentina)
    Matthews (England)
    Albert (Hungary)
    Charles (Wales)
    Deyna (Poland)
    V.Mazzola (Italy)
    Kocsis (Hungary)
    Bozsik (Hungary)

wm442433, Edhardy and PuckVanHeel repped this.