D3 Division Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by thomas19064, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Interesting article about Madison. It's rare that a city would fast track $1.3 million in improvements 3 years ahead of schedule unless they knew that they had a some income that would make it worthwhile. The improvement to 5000 seats seems to signal a USL 2 team.

2. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    AND for those not familiar with Madison, below is the location of the stadium. That is if USL2 is the plan. We may be getting ahead of ourselves.

Breeze Stevens Stadium
    Population: ~250k
    Metro Population: ~650k

[​IMG]
    Height limit in town so that nothing can be taller than the capital dome. That and the isthmus between Lake Mendota and Lake Monona isn't that wide and it has created pretty good density for a city this size.

3. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know if this is a good thread for this discussion - if there is a Swope Park Rangers subforum I haven't seen it. Mod's can move this if there is a better place.

It's really interesting to me what has been happening with SPR and their field situation. First there was whatever happened last Oct. 23 during the playoffs. Will the match be at Swope, in Sacramento, at Children's Mercy? Remember this tweet:

The playoffs end Nov. 13. On January 18 the team announces: “We are excited to play our 2018 home matches at Shawnee Mission South District Stadium,” Sporting KC President Jake Reid said. “In our search for a facility that met U.S. Soccer Division II standards, this was the perfect fit right in the heart of our fan base.” Then after only 1 match at Shawnee the USL cancels the April 14 match on short notice with no explanation to the public. (Well, maybe they gave a hint with this story posted the day after the cancellation: https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/907178?referrer_id=3338999). Then on April 24 SPR announces that the rest of the season will be played at Children's Mercy Park.

This tug-of-war between the USL and SPR has been going on for awhile. I suspect SKC has been more focused on finishing their training facility (which opened in Feb.) than on USL 2. Maybe in a few years they do a modular SSS at their training grounds that meets USL 2 standards. But I think SPR is going to get "relegated" to USL 3. The USL front office has shown they are not messing around.

This situation illustrates the conflict of interests between the MLS teams' priority to develop their players and the USL's priority to develop their league. Which interest will prevail? The arrival of the MLS2s helped out the USL several years ago. But I think the USL has the stronger hand at this point with the demise of NASL and all the interest in expansion. S2, AU2, TFC2 seem to have gotten the hint. Even LA2 put more bleachers around the track (although they are still empty).

Does anyone have more information about this SPR/USL staredown? Any guesses about where SPR will be next year?

C-Rob repped this.
  4. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just saw this on reddit. Well played !!!

[​IMG]

Blando13 repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Madison update

Still doesn't mean that a team will be announced, but this doesn't hurt.

7. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, this quote pretty much tips the hand:

“As we look forward to the 2019 summer with the launch of professional soccer at the venue, which we all agree is the best purpose, the best years and the best use of that facility is certainly in front of us,” Big Top Events president Vern Stenman said.

To get the city to spend that much money, he must have something pretty solid up his sleeve. If not... he's a very good poker player.

8. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Another update

Big Top Events, which also runs the Madison Mallards summer collegiate baseball team that plays at Warner Park, intends to reveal its soccer plans at a 6 p.m. Thursday public event at Breese Stevens Field, 917 E. Mifflin St.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a note that this likely sticks a fork in NISA. In addition to taking the Madison USL job, Wilt is leaving NISA.

http://www.nisaofficial.com/2018/05/17/committee-formed-to-select-new-nisa-leadership/

They have team owners?

10. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    I believe after NASL and NISA (?!, died before born) failure it will be very hard someone trying to lunch another professional league in USA.
    US soccer pyramide is formed at top level: MLS - USL - USL D3

aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe I had that one.

loonixxx and ThePonchat repped this.
  12. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    So why isn't Chattanooga mentioned more in these discussions? Are they not interested? If not, why not? Is it just a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

13. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're drinking the "open pyramid" Kool-Aid that Rocco/Palmer/DCFC drink.

14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little concerned that this league starts in less than a year and there are only 3 teams announced and they are no where near each other. Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia are really far away from each other for a start up league. I mean maybe these are the flagship franchises for 3 divisions, Southeast, Southwest, Midwest but they need to start cranking out teams so they can have enough time to build the team and supporters.

15. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Four teams (you left Greenville out), but I agree. It's going to be tough sledding for a team in Statesboro, GA to play in a league with Tuscon and Madison.

Others have said that maybe they're waiting for the summer leagues to finish, but I'm with you: I'd rather be building energy earlier and using the current amateur season to build excitement.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City B is likely to return in this league and I would not be surprised to see the erstwhile Cal United come in as well.

My guess is three divisions/conferences to start, maybe 12 teams and a somewhat limited schedule. I would imagine there are other teams currently playing for whom an announcement could be forthcoming, but would not necessarily be mission critical, since they would not be starting from zero.

Agreed, they should be announcing more teams soon, but they don't have to do it tomorrow or the next day. But building a front office is far more important than "building energy" (whatever that means) or "building excitement," and you don't have to do that publicly.

eckeric, 2in10 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  17. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it rumored that Rochester was going to come back in D3 as well.

2in10 repped this.
  18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I forgot about the MLS2s. Depending on who is interested in self-relegation, that could fill in a lot of blanks and could happen whenever.

2in10 repped this.
  19. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
  22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly TFC2 will be moving to USL D3 too. The commentators mentioned it on the match broadcast last night during their 3-3 draw with FC Cincinnati.

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope the rate of new club announcements picks up shortly after the WC is over. It's hard to get a club up and running and to build momentum for an opening season.

2in10 repped this.
  24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 repped this.