D.C. United v. Shitty FC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Apr 5, 2017.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will anyone else make one of these this season or am I just always too eager on Wednesdays?

Who: D.C. United v. New York City F.C.
    What: MLS Round 5
    When: Saturday, April 4, 4:00 PM
    Where: RFK Stadium (Only "14" Games left)
    Why: Because in a 34 game season, we need to get the 2 v. NYC out of the way in the first month

National TV: Unimas, UDN, Facebook

Standings (W-L-T)
    D.C. - 9th in East, 17th in MLS, 1-2-1, 4 Pts., -5GD
    NYC - 3rd in East, 5th in MLS, 2-1-1, 7 Pts., +4 GD

Form (Early to Recent)
    D.C. - DLLW
    NYC - LWDW

Prior Meetings
    March 12 - Yankee Stadium
    NYC 4-0 DC

Injuries
    DC - Vincent (Knee), Mullins (Hamstring)
    NYC - Unknown

Suspensions
    DC - Marcelo
    NYC - Unknown

Lineup Projection
    Hamid
    DeLeon Birnbaum Boswell Kemp
    Jeffrey
    Harkes Acosta
    Sam Ortiz Nyarko

Worra, Franklin, Opare, Buescher, Neagle, Le Toux, Kamara?

Last time out at RFK

IMG_1804.JPG

Prediction: DCU 3-2 NYC

dadman, fatbastard, TowsonDad and 2 others repped this.
  2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    Last night Benny said that since NYCFC pushes up so much, he expects us to get alot of chances on transition. Let's hope he is right.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did that work out for us up there?

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    To be fair you can't run a traditional transition in the Bronx. Field is too small. The game is technically in a permanent state of chaotic transition.

RFK is much wider which means that with a high line there could be space to isolate Nyarko and Sam and get them behind the defense.

This is all theoretical of course. Columbus is an attacking team that gives up transition opportunities, and we had zero ideas on how to execute that.

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001

Winoman, DecadeOfDCU26 and sitruc repped this.
  6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops.

Did anyone catch the video board after the Philly game? It said this game was Sunday, April 8

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's OK, the official printed schedule we have says Saturday at Yankee Stadium.

That last game up there looked like a weird hybrid of indoor soccer and regular high school soccer. Painful to watch, even before we got blown out.

8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Back when I worked, a customer asked me for a pocket calendar. In those days we used to pass them out by the score. It was well past June so I replied that we took great pride in personalized service so if he called me, I'd gladly tell him what day it was. Apparently United neither cares nor knows when the next game is and your personal service ends when your check clears

9. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or one person ********ed up?

10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Far more likely and based in logic and those 2, used together should get you red carded on Big Soccer

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of fans dressed as orange seats at RFK today.

12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The Unimas broadcast on Cox HD is a huge improvement in video and commentary and they actually had a handheld panning both sides of the stands from the end zone and it looked pretty crowded. New York looks like they might have someone who can play on a normal width field (extreme sarcasm) so it should be satisfying to watch

Eastern Bear, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    3 points ... I'll take it.

I think MOTM honors will have to be shared by Boswell and Acosta. I can't make up my mind on who played better. Honorable mention to De Leon who flew under the radar a bit, but as far as I can tell he's really earning his new starting position.

If we can make a MOTM honor for player off the bench, it's clearly Le Toux. I really loved what he brought to the game late. Every touch he took helped the team. He filled the center forward role to perfection, taking difficult traps under pressure, bringing Acosta into the game and even setting Franklin up for what should have been a goal.

Rick77, dadman, griffin1108 and 3 others repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the game now. What I've seen so far is that the team looks better with Jeffery instead of Sarvas. Did I say that David Villa is a diving bitch?

fatbastard, jason1551, DCUSA and 2 others repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I've been calling for Le Toux for some time now because he plays off his teammates while Ortiz is more of a one-trick pony. Boswell was as good as I've ever seen him; Jeffrey looked every bit as good as Marcelo IMO; and Ben showed his confidence in Nicky by keeping him on the field and moving him to different positions when subs came on. (when Francis came on for Nyarko Nick moved to LW and Francis took the RB position; then he moved to RW (I think) when Neagle replaced Sam.)

I know Harkes has loads of talent, but he doesn't seem to make much of an impact out there. Of course, it's hard when you play alongside Acosta, who wants (and probably deserves) the ball most of the time, but still I would like to see Harkes (or someone else?) get more involved.

Boloni86 repped this.
  16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the attendance was very good, almost 19,000 (a full house at Audi Field!), but it was very late arriving. When the match began the supporter's side wasn't half full. Traffic, or too much tailgating?

NicktheGreek repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I don't know why the lines were so long at every entrance, but that is what made it a late arriving crowd. The people were there, but couldn't get in quickly with the wandings. I wasn't sure if it was related to the first responders in front of the stadium for a while. Of course RFK likely has more entry points than audi Field will so...

It was good to see Lucigol.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    it eventually filled up. I heard there were long lines at the gates. I came in 1/2 hr early.

Winoman repped this.
  19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The traffic was a ********ing shitshow. ********ing Cherry Blossom parade ********ed up the traffic in downtown DC. Once we got on the SE/SW freeway, the on ramp to 295 North was not moving. I took 295 South, exited on Howard Road, went up to MLK, then to Good Hope then onto Minnesota. Minnesota was a shitshow as well, got off on E, went up to 37th, and then back down to Minnesota just before the Capitol Street overpass. We didn't get to our seats until 10 minutes in and we left 19th and M at 3:10 PM.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    As for the game:

That was the best game NDL played since his rookie season. Just a monster game from him.

Sam's goal was the product of a very smart player. He suckered the NYC defense into essentially passing him the ball. Really sweet goal.

Bill Hamid is a ********ing wall. How he made that save when sprawled on ground is something I simply cannot explain. MOTM.

Acosta gets mugged out there every game. The second goal was a product of his hard work and other players "crashing the net."

Harkes needs to become more offensive. He has to look for a run up the channel late. That came at the end of the game and he put a weak ass shot on Johnson. Young man, when the goal mouth is wide open, rip the shit out of the ball, don't aim it.

Agree about LeToux, high soccer IQ, helped at the end.

I am so glad Boswell is back in the middle, the defense is so much more organized. If there has been an MVP since 2014, it's him. His name better ********ing go up on the Wall of Honor in the new stadium.

BassNFool, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Now that I think about it, I literally did not notice Jeffrey for the entire 90 minutes. Which for his position means he did a good job. Stay at home, keep the shape and don't make any major mistakes.

As for Villa, I'm not sure it's the diving so much. I think it was just a ref that gave him the DP treatment. You literally were not allowed to touch Villa today. On the other hand Acosta, Ortiz and Le Toux could not buy a call.

griffin1108 repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I also have to give Olsen 50% credit on that goal. The team was well drilled on how to high press, and it paid off on that play. Vieira insists on playing out of the back 100% of the time which means at least 2-3 times per game they'll give you a gift. The key is to have someone there in position to take advantage. Even after we went up, Olsen stayed committed to the press. In the last 10 minutes I sometimes counted 4-5 DC players pressing the ball in their half and it was clearly stressing them out.

griffin1108 and dadman repped this.
  23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There's only one of those ...

[​IMG]

Rick77, song219 and Winoman repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Especially since Acosta scored, I wasn't clear in that last post. The real Lucigol was in the stands.

ElApacheTevez, Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between Bill, Bobby, and Acosta we have a spine - an actual spine. Still need a 90 minute striker.

Good times though.

James

Winoman repped this.